hard bassline

im kinda new to producing psy and dont know which program to concentrate on(reason or fl). i know both get awesome results, but i just cant get that hard dark rolling psy bassline i want. with nrg, i found reason had the best synths but couldnt get that rockin bassline i wanted. FL was a litlle easier, but again couldnt get that dark bassline. so basically, the bassline is my problem. which plug-ins should i go for? and does 1 program have better stuff or do most programs work with both? any help is appreciated. cheers

sean

in reason simply use the substractor with a nice deep, crispy sample and hook up the matrix in "lines of three" III III III III ... make sure you are hitting the lower ranges... you know for a rolling bass line... or even better use the NNXT

im kinda new to producing psy and dont know which program to concentrate on(reason or fl). i know both get awesome results, but i just cant get that hard dark rolling psy bassline i want. with nrg, i found reason had the best synths but couldnt get that rockin bassline i wanted.  FL was a litlle easier, but again couldnt get that dark bassline. so basically, the bassline is my problem. which plug-ins should i go for? and does 1 program have better stuff or do most programs work with both? any help is appreciated. cheers

sean

324948[/snapback]

ive been using reason for over a year and can never get the kind of bass i truly want for psy. i can make some nice bass, but not the stuff u hear from the pros.

i really think u have to go to a VST to get the best bass!

Well....i agree a bit with sundrop, i use a VST for my basslines. i get much better results i think. but im not a hightech expert synth programmer, so im not saying its impossible to get good results with subtractor. I managed to create good bass'es with subtractor, but they dont psytisfy me :)

well the man did say he is new to producing, got to start somewhere ;)

326637[/snapback]

ya! sorry, i didnt want to rain on this thread or your advice.

stick with reason, its a wonderful tool. :)

dont pull your hair out trying to get the perfect psy bass with it.

i tend to use the Bass Guitar setting alot. works pretty good.

another thing u can try, if you are using Matrix for your bassline,

is make two Subtractors with the same bass, then use full Matrix note,

and alternate every other note in each Matrix. hope that makes sense!

it will make your bass fuller.

ya!  sorry, i didnt want to rain on this thread or your advice.

stick with reason, its a wonderful tool.  :)

dont pull your hair out trying to get the perfect psy bass with it.

i tend to use the Bass Guitar setting alot.  works pretty good.

another thing u can try, if you are using Matrix for your bassline,

is make two Subtractors with the same bass, then use full Matrix note,

and alternate every other note in each Matrix.  hope that makes sense!

it will make your bass fuller.

326645[/snapback]

hmm... *taking notes*

:D

hmm... *taking notes*

:D

326654[/snapback]

hehe. to illustrate better:

create like this:

SUB

MATRIX

SUB COPY

MATRIX

then in each Matrix alternate full notes:

F_F_

_F_F

its just something u cant do with one matrix alone, but u can do it with the sequencer!

plus u can do some other neat tricks

• 2 weeks later...

ive been using reason for over a year and can never get the kind of bass i truly want for psy.  i can make some nice bass, but not the stuff u hear from the pros.

i really think u have to go to a VST to get the best bass!

326629[/snapback]

To get the best bass, you have to actually invest some real money in hardware to be precise. :P But ofcoures at beginner level, such things are more than a luxury.

thanks for the help everyone. guess its like everyone says tho, stick to your own shit. original is better. true, but i want that sick fuckin psy bassline (dont we all)

i own the access virus(dont use it for some reason), can i get a dirty psy bassline with it?

Nowadays I use Cubase with Z3ta as my bass synth. Before I got pretty good bass out of Reason.

IMHO, any bass synth will do on any program as long as you got the right EQ'ing going on, as well as "punchy" compression. Hardware compression will also give you a better sound than software compression imho. You should read a tutorial on compression for more info on this :)

In Reason I used to make my bass like this:

1. take the Subtractor with the default patch.

2. Make 1 waveform a Triangle ( or Square ), the other a Sine. The Sine waveform gives you that deep "sub" sound, whereas the Triangle or others will provide a little definition to your bassnotes.

3. Play with the envelope settings until you get a short note. Ie. No Sustain! ( If you have a simple oom-pah oom-pah bassline then sustain is good! You will see when you try it! )

4. Add noise on the subtractor. Just a little for some texture!

5. Connect EQ. Cut the tops off. Roll off at 80/90Hz and boost the low mids ( or however you want your eq!)

6. Add a Scream4 with TAPE DISTORTION. This really beefs up the sound :D . Bear in mind you can do an EQ here as well!

7. Add compressor with appropriate settings!

8. Voila!

hope this helps and makes some kind of sense!

good luck :D

I recommend Audiorealism Bassline (VST).

A very nice tip with this one is to, instead of adding a "long" line in the Piano Roll in FL (sorry, couldn't find better words to explain :P) with the same bpm as the song itself, lower the bpm to maybe 40-70 and then add 3 short notes after every kick. Then play around with the notes in the vst itself. You can make some really sick dark basslines this way... with a sort of "zip-effect"; really cool :P