2. DARKNESS

3. ELYSIUM

4. RITUAL

5. SPANISH FLY ( FLAMENCO DUB )

6. HYPER SENCE

7. DRIFTING

8. SUBMERGE

9. DISSOLVE

And here we have debut album by Phutureprimitive, new promising act in the realms of downtempo and ambient. You can easily hear very strong influence by Shpongle here, but it is not structured the same way.

While Shpongle tends to loose itself in over sampling and playing with you, they arranged very thorughly these samles and made hypnotic journey rather than freestyle genre.

Hardcore fans will recognise Shpongle too much and might get offended by it but I find this release very consistent and pretty floaty compared to last Shpongle for example.

Even from the start you recognise some sounds and samples but the music itself grabs you from the start and cleverly prepare you for the journey.

RITES OF PASSAGE is the longest one and most kaleidoscopic one. It has very good flow and you are really drifting in monumental spaces covered with beautiful morphing sounds.

DARKNESS starts very good, with dark mood and sounds everywhere, brilliantly followed by some dreamy pads and structures. It sounds like a mixture of Synaesthesia and Simon Posford, very good work, one of the better ones on album.

ELYSIUM continue very dreamy as well, making the beginning of the album rather psychedelic, melting soundscape of pads, sounds and crystal clear moods is set and you again feel hooked.

RITUAL is more ethnic trackas the title say and very melodic. They moved from soundscapes onto more concrete stuff and this songs have very good developed ending.

SPANISH FLY is pretty good flamenco inspired track but I find it the weakest one on album. It has very driving bass line and sounds pretty dubby but it lacks something to be fully appreciated as the rest of the album.

HYPER SENCE continues album much better than Spanish Fly and again goes to dreamy realms, with some indian voices and ethnical moods, it is very good track also.

DRIFTING comes and it sounds like it started last PART of the album. it is very tribal, rhythmical with some cute tropical feel to it. This one and next 2 songs sound more synaesthetical than kaleidoscopic in the structure. They are very trippy and lyrical I have to say, especially SUBMERGED. Whoa ! This is maybe the best track on album with DARKNESS and RITUAL. It is so melodic, smooth and liquid. The melodic line is so trancey and it reminds me a lot on some Oliver Lieb's work..So Delicious !

DISSOLVE is very short outro ( 3 minutes long ) but it is done like a classical piece, it is perfect ending of the album.

All in all, this is VERY good continuation to downtempo genre brilliantly innovated by masters of the genre - Shpongle and even though it does remind at some stages a lot on them, it doesn't matter cause this guys pulled it perfectly without any non sense...9/10

Personally I find that this (unlike entheogenic) has it's own sound - perhaps there are some Shpongle influences, but the music is largely their own.

and personally I find this better that the big S and their newest album

• 1 month later...

While Shpongle tends to loose itself in over sampling and playing with you, they arranged very thorughly these samles and made hypnotic journey rather than freestyle genre.

Hardcore fans will recognise Shpongle too much and might get offended by it but I find this release very consistent and pretty floaty compared to last Shpongle for example.

Yap i agree... :)

8+/10 imo :)

What the heck? While Entheogenic blatantly tries to copy Shpongle, this is more unique - sure, the touch is there, but it's a journey of it's own.

9/10 if I didn't grade it already.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh what the heck!

Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious has been UNAVAILBLE at psyshop.com for the last several months! :(

On top of that, saikosounds doesn't seem to even carry this album?!?! :huh:

This album sounds really good from the samples I heard at psyshop.

The track titled Darkness sounds VERY catchy; very COOL, like some New Agey, trance/world, downtempo, slightly darker-in-tone chill song. Nice...

The second-to-last song, while maybe short, sounds priceless! Just dreamy, romantic, floating, but very cool night music! Add that song to the several others that instantly made me smile, and this is just based on 45 second samples! This album seems to have some fresh, catchy sounds and very well done songs, and it sounds more fresh and unique than Shpongles third main album. I was disappointed with Shpongles supposedly last album, and felt that overall the first two were innovative and overall great albums; the third was less special and sounded like more of the same, even though it's better than 95% of all downtempo music today. Anyway, that's another story. For a debut album, Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious sounds like one of those underrated gems.

Too bad its not available to order. Hopefully www.psyshop.com will get more copies soon.

Yeah, sounds almost unbelieveable to hear that from those Shpongle praising lips... B)

326435[/snapback]

:lol: indeed you have a point ;)

I will check this one, I own it to the ambient world :)

• 1 month later...

PHUTUREPRIMITIVE - SUB CONSCIOUS

FULL REVIEW

1. RITES OF PASSAGE ... B+

2. DARKNESS ... A-

3. ELYSIUM ... B

4. RITUAL ... A-

5. SPANISH FLY ( FLAMENCO DUB ) ... B

6. HYPER SENCE ... B

7. DRIFTING ... A-

8. SUBMERGE ... A-

9. DISSOLVE ... B-

This is my most favorite CHILL album of the year. Just like the masters of Sphongle and Aes Dana, there are some classic downtempo songs here I don't think I have never used so many elegant words (sexy, romantic, exotic) to express a downtempo album to date. I usually use those words with some Trip-Hop, New Age, and few World songs. There are some superb songs on this album. I think Seraph wrote a really accurate review above. You must hear and experience this album to for yourself. The samples are not enough. From by impressions based on the samples in my shorter post above, I could only tell there were two songs I liked before I bought the album. Those two songs turned out to be [on a short list] some of the best downtempo songs I have ever heard...and the samples couldn't prove it because they take a piece from something great giving the listener little time to appreciate the development (and further development) of it.

If you're into downtempto music like Sphongle and want something new and overall different, (although you may notice influences here and there) sample this album and see if it's something you'd like to get too. There are NO bad or average songs on this album. Several are superb, awesome, which goes beyond great on my critical scale. I was impressed. Read the other reviews. As well, this album has some really good songs to make-out too. :)

BEST SONGS 1, 2, 4, 7, 8.

Darkness ... Wow, an unquestionable favorite by myself and friends, who like this one and Submerge the most so far. This is such a sexy, moody, provocative, elegant piece. The female voices are enriched with so much feeling, enhancing the character of the song.

Drifting ... I love this song! It is so exotic, romantic, tribal, melodic, beautiful, and there is a tune which comes in several times ... which so tops off this track. Wow!!!

Submerge ... Beautiful, sexy, gorgeous. This song is just great! The voice hums, melodies, changes in the song... it is one of the best songs on the album and in the downtempo genre. Listen to it and decide for yourself.

Ritual - If I had to pick a forth favorite, this would be it...er, Darkness is pretty close tho... both are awesome. It depends on the mood I suppose.

The other tracks all fall around the good level, with exception to the last one which is one of those too-short songs it's decent. I'm not complaining there because this group and this album, Sub Conscious, had already proven to be great in some unforgettable tracks... before the final and peaceful, however brief and fleeting closing one. The albums big closing impression is Submerge, and they wanted to give it a little epilogue afterwards. That's fine.

In conclusion, this is one of the best albums of 2005. This is on the top 3 best downtempo/chill albums of 2005. This artist has the potential to make a masterpiece. Do I consider this a masterpiece? No. Several songs here are awesome nevertheless. The more original and superb something is...the more novel and classic it has potential to be. I'd love to hear a follow-up to this album from this artist...even if it takes several years to release something groundbreaking. Sure not everyone will love and praise this album. It's not perfect. There is some Sphongle influence which means it appears obvious to not be 100% original and novel. The last song could have been excellent and just a bit longer, more memorable, and yes, not every song is great IMHO and I love this album. Other than that, I think most people will find a real gem here. If you like the overall style and sound, the album flows from beginning to end and develops that exact character. As in Sphongle, each song is somehow related like another part of the same body of bodies.. The album flows as you'd expact, and more than just one or two tracks really stand out.

OVERALL SCORE: ... 9 out of 10 or an A-

You can buy Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious on www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.uk right now for around $10.00 - $13.00 new or used!

• 9 months later...

And UP this thread goes!

I liked in the beginning, but after a while I'm starting to feel that it's much more of the same. Most of the tracks last too long, which is because there's not enough ideas going on to make the whole song worthwhile. This goes particularly for the first track Rites of Passage. It's quite okay, but it's the same sounds repeated throughout the whole track and that gets boring after some time.

Darkness is also quite alright; It's deep and a little dark indeed, heavily dubbed and I like the melodic bleeps towards the end.

Elysium is just pure psychill cliche if ya ask me... repetitive tribal-ish stuff.

Ritual is also ok, but again towards the middle of the song I'm getting bored. This is not at all bad music, but I just feel there could've been an extra touch here and there. It's like he used one basic feeling and stretched that one out over the whole track.

And from here onwards, most tracks are just not interesting to me. Spanish Fly is supposed to be Flamenco Dub but it just isn't as cool as it could've been. It's irritating even! Hypersence is just too annoyingly filled with cliched psybient ethnic chants, trancey leads and too simple guitar twingles, Drifting is too Shpongley. Not original. And what about the intro of Submerge? Those waterdrops seem to be taken straight out of Are you Shpongled? Get a life!!

Anyhow: as you can see I find the praise of this album highly exaggerated. I don't understand it, it all sounds too cliche and repetitive but now I'm myself doing just that. Nevermind.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a fucking awesome downtempo album and I hope they release another just as great or even better.

• 2 years later...

I got this today & it sounds really bloody good so far :)

Some OMFG moments B)

Yep. :D

Submerge really hits the spot for me. Very orgasmic.

The rest of the album is great too.