Stay away Devil worshippers!

Guest .::E.P

I like to start a spcific debate and discuss the "religion" and intension behind the music that come from artist that seem to have something going on with devil/demon worshipping.

I see more and more bands arrive with track titles like:

Hell Raver

Circus of Terror

Sadistic Intence

South of Hell

and so on...

Now I am a believer of that our scene should make room for all kind of people no matter who they and what religion they have but personally I think the limit has been reached here.

No one can deny that our scene was build on total different values and NOT on dark devil worshipping!

I dont know the people personally behind the music and maybe they are not into devil worshipping but I do have my suspicions that they are attracted to the devil and darkness. Why else all this dark evilness in the track titles, samples and music?

Personally I would like to see the music and the people behind it go back to where they came from. The Goth and Dark metal Rock scene where this kind of music and attitude in my opinion fit much much better. But as i said that's my opinion as someone that have been a part of this scene since 1992 and never would have got into the scene if it had been about the Devil, Demons and dark worshipping.

So my layout for this debate is:

Is it just a trend and nothing really serious or are those people behind the music really into satanism and if they are into satanism do they really belong in this scene?

Discuss.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just a trend and nothing really serious or are those people behind the music really into satanism and if they are into satanism do they really belong in this scene?

285434[/snapback]

It could be a reaction to the hippie flower power part of the scene. Back in the days Matsuri launched their Let it RIP compilation, saying goodbye to goa trance. The hell theme is just a way of showing that something new has emerged and I strongly doubt the artists are satanists.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the new dark psy-trance comes from South Africa and as far as I know, catholicism is quite strong there, so it might be a "revolt" that needs to be viewed on a national level, in some cases.

Some of these track names do accurately describe the music, so maybe the question shouldn't be about the track names, but rather the intense fuck up factor of the music? Then again, Goa Gil would say it's all about catharsis and the dark music has its place in a psy party just as the sweet melodic morning music. He seems to be really into the dark psy-trance these days, and I'm pretty sure he's not a devil worshipping kind of guy.

Nice topic, btw.

Just a trend as far as I'm concerned. No biggy. In fact, the more... SATANTIC... they try to be, the less evil it seems. You can't try to be evil. Truely evil people are just evil. They would make a song called Blue Wall and it would be effortlessly devious and corrupted in a sly subconcious way. It would be blissful, beautiful, captivating, but EVIL (picture Dr. Evil saying "evvvilll").

Whenever I see a CD with track names that are trying too hard to be scary. I just laugh and move on.

I think we should be worried when all psytrance released is polished and catchy and lacking soul or heart or true inspiration. ;)<_<

No one can deny that our scene was build on total different values and NOT on dark devil worshipping!

To say that it's devil worshipping because someone names their track "hell raver" is exaggreating a bit.

When i got in to this music some 15 yrs ago there was a lot of really dark music, and I always been in to the darker and heavier side of the scene.

Sure there is a lot of the current wave of dark music that is too formularic in style and track names, but if you think thats scene always been about happy smiley party music you have IMO missed what the music is about and it's roots.

Much EBM that was played in Goa in the 80's make many of the "dark" artists today seem like Britney in comparasion.

I remember parties in Goa in the beginning of the 90's with a war theme in the decoration and really dark night music.

The people making the party or DJ'ing was hardly devil worshippers.

It was about making people confront the dark and aggressive side of themself as a cleansing process, and the dark music make a nice contrast with the sunny happy morning music.

If people got aggressions and fears it's no use playing fluffy music to try to make them forget about it if you want them to become more in harmony.

Let them dig down into and confront their dark side and work it out on a healthy dose of psychedelics on the dancefloor.

It does work, and I have seen it change many people for the better.

I personally don't worship the devil, but there is connections to the devil and hindu gods which I do worship like Shiva and Kali.

To worship a force that represents dark and "evil" forces does not mean that you like to see a more evil world.

It's about understanding the dark forces in creation and try to see what function they fill so you can understand a lot more of reality as being positive, and as a result become a more happy and content person yourself.

And if you look into the values of a lot of the producers and labels behind the dark music you will find that they are actually peace loving and quite concerned with other peoples wellbeing.

Take devilsmind records who is a non-profit label giving away any profit they make to charity.

Or take a pioneer for dark electronic psychedelic music like skinny puppy.

Sure they had a infamous live show throwing blood at the audience and sound like they wish everyone suffer and die.

But if you study their message and lyrics you notice that they are growling about how bad vivisection or chemical warfare is.

And look into the roots of the hippy movement. The acid test and the imagery used by bands like grateful dead and pink floyd for example is not just fluffy flowers and smiley rainbows for sure.

I must say EP that you obviously don't understand the scene, it's roots or the people involved in it.

If you think it should be about fluffy progg, fine, you can have your opinion. But the scene is full of hippes taking psychedelics, and you seem to have zero understanding for both hippes and psychedelics.

So if you don't like the music, the people or what they stand for I really wonder why you hang out in this forum and seem so concered about the state of the scene.

Just do your thing and let other people do theirs.

I might think progressive is crap music for people who is too inhibited to dance properly or take too much coke and E to escape rather than confront reality, but I don't open a thread complaining about it.

Ok, if some darkpsy artist actually summon the evil forces against you, by all means come in hear and tell how evil they are.

Otherwise....just live and let live and don't listen to dark trance or full-on if you don't like it.

To say that it's devil worshipping because someone names their track "hell raver" is exaggreating a bit.

When i got in to this music some 15 yrs ago there was a lot of really dark music, and I always been in to the darker and heavier side of the scene.

Sure there is a lot of the current wave of dark music that is too formularic in style and track names, but if you think thats scene always been about happy smiley party music you have IMO missed what the music is about and it's roots.

Much EBM that was played in Goa in the 80's make many of the "dark" artists today seem like Britney in comparasion.

I remember parties in Goa in the beginning of the 90's with a war theme in the decoration and really dark night music.

It was about making people confront the dark and aggressive side of themself as a cleansing process, and the dark music make a nice contrast with the sunny happy morning music.

If people got aggressions and fears it's no use playing fluffy music to try to make them forget about it if you want them to become more in harmony.

Let them dig down into and confront their dark side and work it out on a healthy dose of psychedelics on the dancefloor.

I personally don't worship the devil, but there is connections to the devil and hindu gods which I do worship like Shiva and Kali.

To worship a force that represents dark and "evil" forces does not mean that you like to see a more evil world.

It's about understanding the dark forces in creation and try to see what function they fill so you can understand a lot more of reality as being positive, and as a result become a more happy and content person yourself.

And if you look into the values of a lot of the producers and labels behind the dark music you will find that they are actually peace loving and quite concerned with other peoples wellbeing.

Take devilsmind records who is a non-profit label giving away any profit they make to charity.

Sure they had a infamous live show throwing blood at the audience and sound like they wish everyone suffer and die.

But if you study their message and lyrics you notice that they are growling about how bad vivisection or chemical warfare is.

And look into the roots of the hippy movement.  The acid test and the imagery used by bands like grateful dead and pink floyd for example is not just fluffy flowers and smiley rainbows for sure.

I must say EP that you obviously don't understand the scene, it's roots or the people involved in it.

If you think it should be about fluffy progg, fine, you can have your opinion. But the scene is full of hippes taking psychedelics, and you seem to have zero understanding for both hippes and psychedelics.

So if you don't like the music, the people or what they stand for I really wonder why you hang out in this forum and seem so concered about the state of the scene.

I might think progressive is crap music for people who is too inhibited to dance properly or take too much coke and E to escape rather than confront reality, but I don't open a thread complaining about it.

Ok, if some darkpsy artist actually summon the evil forces against you, by all means come in hear and tell how evil they are.

Otherwise....just live and let live and don't listen to dark trance or full-on if you don't like it.

285527[/snapback]

I actually enjoyed your post until you stared your usual rant against me.

Is it possible for you to ever write anything without having to judge me as a person and without getting off-topic? I am not going to reply much to your long rant about that i dont understand anything. I think I understand this scene very well and have participated in it for years and indeed contributed to it in many ways.

To say i dont understand hippies and psychedelics is nonsense. I do understand them i just dont like all of them. The ones that think they are more enlightened (like you seem to do at times) and more worthy than those who dont go around saying boom and got dreads etc. But as i wrote in another topic.. these so called hippes are luckely not all behaving that way and I got nothing aginst those who dont try to be more than they are...

Oh I know... I dd not go to Goa so I dont understand the roots as well as you do ;)

gaugh gaugh...crap!

I was trying to debate seriously but as usual you just have to take it one step further.

And do you really think your comments about progy got anything to do with anything?... I am not only into proggy... I am into a lot of different music.. But i guess that passed your nose... as everything do when you start your long lectures and judging of those you dont agree with!

Now I am sure we'll see yet along long rant from you soon.

can you please keep it on-topic and non personal?

devil worshipping? :lol:

i don't think is serius, it could be a 'trend' eitherway... but besides a few bands i haven't seen any producers biting the heads of bats or sacrificing babies in cults... i will keep an eye out for this kind of behaviour though :blink:

You are a funny guy.

First you make a long rant about something you dislike, and then you get upset if someone else rants in the topic.

Ok you think it's fine to say anything about people making dark music, hippes or people using drugs.

I do take offense when you speak like you do about things that I, my freinds and my family stand for.

So if you don't want to upset people don't generalise in the way you do.

It's not only gay people or people from the third world you have to try to be understanding towards. Otherwise it just seems like some superficial PC attitude.

You do speak like a very ignorant person indeed.

Whats the big deifference to saying something like:

Personally I would like to see the music and the people behind it go back to where they came from.

Compared to something like:

Personally I would like to see african people go back to where they came from.

Or:

Now I am a believer of that our scene should make room for all kind of people no matter who they are and what religion they have but personally I think the limit has been reached here.

Compared to:

Now I am a believer of that our country should make room for all kind of people no matter who they are and what religion they have but personally I think the limit has been reached when it comes to muslims.

Or:

Compared to:

No one can deny that our society was build on total different values and NOT on gay hedonism!

Or:

do they really belong in this scene?

Compared to:

do they really belong in this country?

Appearently it's a personal insult to you if I think you don't understand the scene.

Well...you obviously don't IMO....sorry for being personal, but thats clearly the case, and I couldn't care less if you can't get down from your high horse and think that you actually understand the scene in spite of constant bashing of the predominant styles of music.

Where you got from that I said that you only like progressive or can't have understanding of the scene because you never been to Goa I don't know.

Thats in your paranoia, and not in my words.

I met plenty of people who have an understanding of the scene and the music without having been to Goa, and I know people who like progressive but is openminded enough to appreciate good darkpsy or full-on as well.

There is good music in every genere, but usually mostly crap.

To bash a whole genre like you constantly do is something you rarely see from true music enthusiasts and does seem a bit immature for a producer like yourself.

My guess why you think you understand the scene but still continously complain about the most popular forms of psychedelic trance today, dark and full-on, is that you must think you actually know the scene better than other people.

The scene is not what you think it is, it's what the people together make it.

So if you don't like it let the people who like it enjoy and you enjoy your thing whatever it is. Live and let live.

And look into the roots of the hippy movement.  The acid test and the imagery used by bands like grateful dead and pink floyd for example is not just fluffy flowers and smiley rainbows for sure.

285527[/snapback]

sorry spindrift, but you passed a bit over the line here...

your post was very good, and then indeed you started offending EP unnecessarily.. and just because you think he offended you at some point doesnt mean its ok for you to offend it, does it? one mistake doesnt justify the other...

and this ´crap music for people who is too inhibited to dance properly, coke E blabla´ was really bullshit.. I dont think you are really closed into that opinion but im pretty sure it does have some validity in your mind... Now let me tell you something, I dont take ecstasy, I never snorted cocaine in my life and never will.. I like prog because of the details, because each sound is so important, as opposed to messy dark or full on tracks that have lots of sounds so each one doesnt seem so important imo... thats my taste, and you should respect it, just like I respect yours.. and this shit about dancing? man, thats really stupid... I was going to argue on how dumb that is but I wont, because its just too... dumb haha...

you dissapointed me man.. thought you were a bit more open minded than name-calling and justifying through someone else´s acts, and then having such a closed minded opinion about some style of music... too bad you didnt keep with that first part of your post

:)

isn't music about expressing inner emotions?

I think it is.if I am sad should I fight with my feelings and make happy music?I can't do it.I just won't feel good...

btw,you can distinguish the Real dark music from neo-full on or dark psy or whatever...for me it have to be telling a story,it must be deep and have some meaning...sometimes it's hard to understand the message the artist is trying to explain,but for me that is what makes the music different and more attractive.you have to listen in the right enviroment in the right time...I have nothing against full on or proggy,if they are played in the right time with the right enviroment...I only hate "empty" music,with no meaning at all.those "black sheeps" are everywere,in all genres of psy and in all genres of music.you can stay away from them of enjoy them...

I believe most "non-sense" music is often more popular to the crowds because it's not so complex and it's message (if there is any) is quick and direct...so it's easier to get into it and dance to it...

usually after a good party I come home happy.why?I release all my inner problems and bad "energies" during the agressive sound in the night,dancing like maniac and so,but when the morning comes and usually more happier music comes too,I have released the bad karma during the night and now I have a smile in my face.the happy mood of the people around us usually makes us happy too...so when the party is over I come home happy because.

- I went to the party to disconnect myself from the "real" world and have serious fun

- I let all the madness come out in the night,so I feel better inside

- the morning makes my soul slowly become filled with happyness and a kind of "I feel good" state

but (trying to get) back on topic...

I've never seen satan worshippers at parties making rituals with dead chickens and so...instead I've seen people fighting,guys slapping they're girlfriends,etc...guess what,if I still remember,full on music was being played.these kind of persons probably didn't released they're bad energies during the night sound.

I love real dark music,(not only in electronic variant) and strange and bizzarre paintings,schulpture,Goth wave,I usually dress black and so...but I've never fighted at a party...if you catch me you will always see me with a smile,all night and all day.

saying "devil worshipping" because of the track names and so is pointless because the dark feeling can't be represented by words (at least in this scene,because I've seen many "happy music" artists with evil-related track names)...instead you must hear the music and most important than all...you must FEEL it :)

off course,IMHO

I say...like Spindrift said before,let everyone make or listen the kind of music they want...if during a party someone at a party come near you and asks "hey can you give me a piece of your hair?me and the guys are making a satanic ritual behind the Dj place,we already have 3 dead cats,5 chickens and 10 frogs but we still need 2 Kg of human's hair...let me cut a bit,I have a scissor" then you have something to complain about satanists in this scene...or maybe a guy doing the mosh around the dancefloor screaming like Dani Filth :lol:

*edited due writing errors*

and E.P. I have nothing about this topic (great one btw),actually I think you taked the right option,you have your right to express your feelings and I fully support you...no problem with that m8 ;)

but I find that saying "devil worshippers in this scene" is a bit over-exagerated :(

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pav/pav1cd009.html

This is a disgrace for our small scene.

People trying to promote their music by advertising (yes advertising) the devil in case they manage to sell couple of cd's more.

Just pathetic.

285592[/snapback]

yes indeed Detox,that's shitty...very shitty...and for sure the music as nothing to do with devil...I don't even want to listen to the samples,otherwise I think I would puke.I had a bit of hope on those guys (para halu),they released some trippy (and not so "dark") music.good for a Dj set between 6/8 Am

it's a shame for our small scene and for the devil himself :lol:

your post was very good, and then indeed you started offending EP unnecessarily.. and just because you think he offended you at some point doesnt mean its ok for you to offend it, does it? one mistake doesnt justify the other...

Well...I react if people is offensive, narrowminded or out of line.

Sure my reaction will be offensive as well, but I promise you that you will never see me opening a post about how bad people who listen to progg is or in other ways spew out my discontent over people that like a certain genre.

When I was a teen listening to synth music many friends was hating heavy metal fans, it was like gang wars between electronic music fans and metal fans. Most people I know grew up and don't care what other people listen to nowadays.

EP's post don't reflect a great understanding of the scene as I see it, and if you or EP don't like me to say that...well I will make a note about that and keep it in my list of things I could not care less about.

and this ´crap music for people who is too inhibited to dance properly, coke E blabla´ was really bullshit..

285577[/snapback]

You might have noted the word "might" in that sentence.

That was in there because my opinion is not what I was presenting but rather and example.

I can think it's partly true sometimes, but to make a post about it and call people who make progressive for inhibited would indeed be as sad as EP's behaviour.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pav/pav1cd009.html

This is a disgrace for our small scene.

People trying to promote their music by advertising (yes advertising) the devil in case they manage to sell couple of cd's more.

Just pathetic.

285592[/snapback]

As far as I can see the album is called The World of Peace and on the cover there's a saint shaking hands with a demon, or am I mistaken?

I don't understand what's so pathetic about that, could you please elaborate?

and again about the para halu album,if they changed theyr sound at least they could explore the "darkness" factor a bit more,not just "paste" a devil in the cover...come on guys!be creative not only in music! ;);)

As far as I can see the album is called The World of Peace and on the cover there's a saint shaking hands with a demon, or am I mistaken?

uuupppss didn't checkd out that,I think I wrote some things before too much spontaneously :blink: better forget :huh: but anyways,there is a lot of compilations and albuns out there that follows that "devil-wannabe" line :P

Trolsk first of all probably this guy isnt a saint but Jesus himself,i am not sure about it but i guess that 90% this is the case.Just for the record i am not a Christian.

By the way check Saint/Jesus left leg and tell me what you can understand by the picture,me i see hell tricking this Saint/Jesus and while he thinks that he makes peace with the devil,hell captures him and makes him part of it.

When you stare into the abyss the abyss also stares into you ;)

Anyway i find this cover unacceptable and just a bad advertisment trick.

285595[/snapback]

I can't understand it either.

It's symbolising a balance between the two fundamental forces in the universe and if you consider it "evil", "pathetic" or "satanistic" then you should join the moral majority or something.

I'm very curious on how anyone can figure that para halu is "advertising (yes advertising) the devil" with that cover.

Read up about psychedelic culture, for example "The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell " by Aldous Huxley, or even better have experience for yourself.

You might be able to understand why there is predominant in psychedelic culture with a symbolics featuring a mixture of dark and light forces.

I already explained myself about this awful cover.

And here is another example of some other people that are way out of limits.

www.devilsmindrecords.org

All these guys have no place in trance and they should return to the heavy metal and happy hardcore scene where they belong.

I do not see the name spindrift in my intial post. I was debating a subject that I find interesting and to some extend weird and out of place in this scene. Yes my opinion... just as valid as your opinion!

So instead of debating with me and the rest here, people that did not find my intitial post "so offensive" that they needed to become personal and attack me, you just could not leave it and had to turn it into a spindrift against Kristian issue.... as you always do!

But go ahead an be our Police Man that have to be damn rude and offensive all the time and lecture all us less "enlightened" in how the world is and how we should think according to your perfect world view.

Isn't it a bit ironic that a thread about devil/hell theamed music turns into a flame war? :D

285606[/snapback]

yes it's ironic seen in the light that all i wanted was a nice balanced debate... But i guess some people here simply aren't cabable to debate without being offensive and rude toward other people.

Trolsk first of all probably this guy isnt a saint but Jesus himself,i am not sure about it but i guess that 90% this is the case.Just for the record i am not a Christian.

By the way check Saint/Jesus left leg and tell me what you can understand by the picture,me i see hell tricking this Saint/Jesus and while he thinks that he makes peace with the devil,hell captures him and makes him part of it.

When you stare into the abyss the abyss also stares into you ;)

Anyway i find this cover unacceptable and just a bad advertisment trick.

285600[/snapback]

Sorry, mate, it still doesn't upset me, but I see your point.

I mean, evil anti-christ covers/music is just old news in a modern society.

oh come on people, the psy scene is growing wider and branching to all different realms. We might not like where some of those branches are going in the 'scene' but it is merely a reflection of this sub-culture being assimilated by the general culture. We would all rather it'd stay underground, but sadly it is going the opposite way.

maybe it is because i am agnostic and have hard time buying into god as in the devil. But i think there are skew pseudo-christian beleifs here at play. Some will praise it, some will denounce it, thats the way it's moving and there is not much we can do about it. You don't like dark psy don't buy, don't hear it... but us bashing each-other here, sure as hell ain't solving nothing... now let's all drink blood and forget about this.

oh come on people, the psy scene is growing wider and branching to all different realms. We might not like where some of those branches are going in the 'scene' but it is merely a reflection of this sub-culture being assimilated by the general culture. We would all rather it'd stay underground, but sadly it is going the opposite way.

maybe it is because i am agnostic and have hard time buying into god as in the devil. But i think there are skew pseudo-christian beleifs here at play. Some will praise it, some will denounce it, thats the way it's moving and there is not much we can do about it. You don't like dark psy don't buy, don't hear it... but us bashing each-other here, sure as hell ain't solving nothing... now let's all drink blood and forget about this.

285612[/snapback]

I for one is as atheistic as one get... I just dont think it's cool to see titles with devil, demon references... thats my opinion... i respect your opinion so respect mine.