Psynews Contest

I have some thoughts.

Since this is supposed to be a contest the tracks that gets voted as winners will probably have different sounds and styles and might not fit wery well together. Is this a problem? Should we have some kind of theme for the tracks (something like the crystal skulls cd)? What rules should there be for the contest? Will it be a double cd?

Somebody with ears and experience should do the mastering, any volunteers?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All genres are accepted (House, Trance, Psy, Full-On)?

Or just psy?

And you need to set rules... Like max duration, bpm limit (example: from 140bpm to 148bpm), and etc... Try making it a little more interesting... For example... 'There must be a big climax with a decent going up before the end of the track...'

And also give at least a month to complete the track...

If you want my help to set the rules and the contest itself, I will be happy to help, and to participate.

Good Luck,

Carnage.

And you need to set rules... Like max duration, bpm limit (example: from 140bpm to 148bpm), and etc... Try making it a little more interesting... For example... 'There must be a big climax with a decent going up before the end of the track...'

you starting to think like an ordinary label <_<

no rules, make the music as it should be from your point of view, you are an individual show us that B)

ND.

IMO rules about style or BPM is completly unneccessary.

If someone using this site does death metal in 190 bpm, let him send the track in.

If he manages to win votes on a psy site like this, then it's fair enough he takes the prize.

Why judge the tracks before they are even allowed to compete?

you starting to think like an ordinary label  <_<

no rules, make the music as it should be from your point of view, you are an individual show us that  B)

ND.

254799[/snapback]

Contest should be with specified rules... Because this is how you see who done the best job in the specified form...

Without some rules people could even make hiphop :|

We need a form to know who done it the best in these certin circumstances.

Contest should be with specified rules... Because this is how you see who done the best job in the specified form...

Without some rules people could even make hiphop :|

We need a form to know who done it the best in these certin circumstances.

254805[/snapback]

There is a form.

Make music, upload it and let the users of the forum decide.

Come on, making rules like 'There must be a big climax with a decent going up before the end of the track...'

Whats the point and who should decide what the rules is and what tracks fulfill them.

Are you going to be the judge of what is progressive, housey or trancey?

If this turns into a hip-hop contest it would be because most producers here make hip-hop or if one hip-hop tracks enter and win it's because the people in the forum like hip-hop best.

I doubt that will be the case since after all this is PSY-news.

But if it happened I don't see the problem for anyone.

The only rules needed is that you made the track yourself and who gets the most votes win.

Anything more is completly unneccessary, and I think most people agree on that.

There is a form.

Make music, upload it and let the users of the forum decide.

Come on, making rules like  'There must be a big climax with a decent going up before the end of the track...'

Whats the point and who should decide what the rules is and what tracks fulfill them.

Are you going to be the judge of what is progressive, housey or trancey?

If this turns into a hip-hop contest it would be because most producers here make hip-hop or if one hip-hop tracks enter and win it's because the people in the forum like hip-hop best.

I doubt that will be the case since after all this is PSY-news.

But if it happened I don't see the problem for anyone.

The only rules needed is that you made the track yourself and who gets the most votes win.

Anything more is completly unneccessary, and I think most people agree on that.

254813[/snapback]

Then all the votes will go just for the voter's taste! And not for the process.

The best way to judge is to give some rules (not million) and the one who done it the best wins.

let's say we have now a Psy trance, a metal, and a house.

The person who likes house will choose for house,

The peron who likes Psy trance will choose for psy trance,

And the person who likes metal will choose metal.

It's stupid. <_<

But if we have now 4 psy trance and the one who listen don't like this genre.

He will vote to the trance who sounds proportional best from the others.

It's not that hard.

I think you are making it seem hard.

This is a psy related site.

Most people will produce psy music and most people will vote for psy tracks.

Or do you think we first need to vote for what style should be accepted and with what kind of buildups etc.

So again I ask:

Who will decide how the tracks need to be structured and what style they should be in?

What is the actual problem with if a hip-hop track enter and win?

It's not about who is the best, it's a way for people using this site and producing music to get their music heard and get feedback on it.

To tell them what they need to make in advance completly defies the purpose IMO.

It wont be the music that people here make in the contest and it wont be what the users of psynews like that wins.

If you want a competiton to crown the "best producer of full-on between 10-144 bpm" because it seems like it's more likely that the winner is actually is the "best", then go ahead.

But it seems extremly pointless to me. Music is not a competiton sport, it's about expression and in this case getting feedback from what you create.

What about having a certain theme for the cd? That way people could submit tracks in their own style and the tracks would still have something in common. It would be easier to make the whole cd tell a story and not just be a bunch of good tracks on a cd. The story thoug wouldn't be obvious untill the winning tracks had been chosen (maby some of the dj's on the forum could help with wich order the tracks should be in). Let's say the theme would be spaceships or nuclear war or dolphins or public bathrooms or wathever...

I don't know i just thought it could be a fun idea, and then future contests could have different themes. :unsure:

But it seems extremly pointless to me. Music is not a competiton sport, it's about expression and in this case getting feedback from what you create.

254845[/snapback]

So in that case everybody's a winner and who needs a contest anyway.

If feedback is the purpose then there's no need for a contest. Any producer can just post his new track in the forum.

Contest is about who's the best, and nothing else.

So in that case everybody's a winner and who needs a contest anyway.

If feedback is the purpose then there's no need for a contest. Any producer can just post his new track in the forum.

Contest is about who's the best, and nothing else.

254851[/snapback]

There is no need for a contest in music...it never is and never have been.

You cannot tell who is "the best" because music is about taste and how it speaks to you personally.

Sure a competiton can be fun if you take it for what it is and don't have a lot of strict rules.

And a more efficient way to get music heard and rated by many people, but it still will not tell you who is the best.

Thats just a ridicolous concept.

There is no need for a contest in music...it never is and never have been.

You cannot tell who is "the best" because music is about taste and how it speaks to you personally.

Sure a competiton can be fun if you take it for what it is and don't have a lot of strict rules.

And a more efficient way to get music heard and rated by many people, but it still will not tell you who is the best.

Thats just a ridicolous concept.

254855[/snapback]

The best for me for the contest... is the one who CAN make music that everyone will like. And not a personal for himself.

Sure music is an expression tool, but in a contest, it's something else. The producer need to convice us to choose him. And it's a hard thing to do.

The best for me for the contest... is the one who CAN make music that everyone will like. And not a personal for himself.

Sure music is an expression tool, but in a contest, it's something else. The producer need to convice us to choose him. And it's a hard thing to do.

254860[/snapback]

Just go and buy a spun release or something.

To have the objective to please as many people as possible is a shit approach to music, and if thats your attitude you have no understanding for art nor a mind suited for creating art and you might as well quit IMO.

Or start a boyband and at least please a lot more people than you could ever do with trance and earn a lot more money.

But don't call yourself a musician.

Just go and buy a spun release or something.

To have the objective to please as many people as possible is a shit approach to music, and if thats your attitude you have no understanding for art nor a mind suited for creating art and you might as well quit IMO.

Or start a boyband and at least please a lot more people than you could ever do with trance and earn a lot more money.

But don't call yourself a musician.

254875[/snapback]

Did you actually read my post?

There's a different between creating music from your muse and from your art and etc to creating a track for a contest.

I DO NOT create music for the audiance... I do it my own way. But it would be interesting to create a track for a contest that will have to challenge others producers. It's a different deal.

For a contest you need to create for the audiance. And out of it you do it for your heart.

Don't mess things up.

I think the point of this contest should be to make a great cd, i don't think it would ever be possible to crown the best producer and i don't think we need to do that either. If we are trying to have that kind of competition everybody should use the same gear and there sould be wery strict rules about everything.

I wouldn't want to participate in a competition like that. What's the point? To be able to brag to yor friends that your the best producer on psynews? I would much rather be on a cd that people listen to and think: This is a great cd with some original and fresh ideas. I wouldn't mind not getting on the cd just becauce people didn't like my style. That's life, popularity contests like these will never be fair so get over it.

The main objective should be to make a great cd. We don't even have to call it a contest if that makes people get the wrong ide. We could call it an audition or something. :)

Sorry for getting a bit upset before, but we don't agree on what a music contest serves for purpose.

A music competition serves a few purposes. For example:

Publicity and promotion for the artists and the site.

A means for the audience or the judges to express their taste.

It does not serve the purpose of deciding who is "best".

It can't be done, because taste cannot be measured on a scale.

So winning the competion when the rules was that you had to have a climax in the last part of the track would not proove more in anyway compared to if you could arrange the track as you feel like.

So i still don't get the point with any of the rules you suggest.

And again, who should set the rules for how the arrangements should be structured and what styles should be allowed?

And who should judge the contibutions to see if they qualify within the given criteria?

Guest djnemo

I didnt read all the replies, so I am sorry if I am saying something that is already been said. I am also sorry for not reading it all, but time is limited for me at the moment.

1. I also think that its not such a good idea if people have to pay if they want to be in the contest.

2. Wouldnt it be better if You mars/anoebis would look for some investors in this project instead? I mean, you dont have to do a Suntrip records only compilation.

you could instead let some people invest (I would be intressted) and call it a Collaboration Release.

If you would be intressted in somehting like that, you know where to get me :)

Oh by the way my friends, I have changed my MSN and ICQ, if you want it, then send me an email ;)

well personally I tend to agree that the less rules, the better. I don't see why submitted tracks should be limited per artist or in time, etc... just maybe set a standard encryption rating (say 320k) so the quality won't be different from track to track. Also, yes since this is a PSYTRANCE site, it's self-explanatory that submitted tracks should be PSYTRANCE!!! Now personally I wouldn't limit it to a theme or a genre cause for me true music comes from the heart, and an artist can't really make that if you impose a certain theme/ genre IMO, then he would just try to make something that fits... Just let them express themselves freely and see what they have to offer.

Oh and yes, Nemo has a point for the cofinancing thing. Aparently Anoebis and Mars are already in over their heads with Suntrip so I don't think it's fair to automatically assume they should do something for us... However until now we are aparently 3 people (me, Amygdala and Nemo) who are willing to finance... So maybe if we split it up we could even make a nice proper release (and not a CD-R). But the problem will be spliting up the revenue once again... Like Spindrift said, if it doesn't sell well, the question won't even be what profit to split but more like who's gonna support the loss... Now if we're like 5-6 people to invest then the invesment per person will not be too high, we could afford a loss. Of course if there's a profit then there will be the question of getting our money back + paying whatever's left to the artists and again, I think that will be peanuts. Well, if anyone has other propositions, let me know :)

I think a contest is a great idea, without getting all philosophical about "the arts" and who is best, competition still tends to brings out the best in people.

I dont see the point though in making a cd from the tracks, there is enough releases by named artist let alone by unknown artist on a message board. That just sounds like a good way to lose money.

Why not have the rules be its a friendly competition, like some people getting togather to play soccer and not a pro soccer match for money.

How about sound wise the idea is to try to make something that COULD be released on suntrip(ie. its a goa competition) and then maybe suntrip even likes some of the tracks enough to include them on a comp. I totally understand why suntrip cant commit to saying they will without question put out the winner, that would be stupid. I also think a more goa competition would gain more interest from people who dont come on the board all the time. There is thousands of free tracks in all different styles to download, it would be alot more interesting if it had a direction.

If you dont make stuff like what is released on suntrip it would also be a cool way to expand your horizons as an artist and try to make something new. I entered a track in some dance industrial remix contest and although i dont even like that type of music much, it was alot of fun trying to do it even though i never heard back from the label.