Dark Soho

Basilisk

I never liked this group much - they had a few cool singles when they came out that rocked the dancefloors with the metal-trance hybrid sound, but I Found the debut album Sunspot to be unspeakably dull... plenty of people loved that one though, so I just figured 'ah, another band I will not grok'. Much much later on, late last year, I gave Combustion another spin, as I hadn't paid too much attention to it when it came out, especially not given that the reviews were rather bad for it... but wtf! There are some absolutely incredible pieces on this particular album. The sound differs from track to track but we still get these sickly gothic riffs and soaring high-pitched melodies and all the rest... I've listened to it a lot through the winter, and arrived at the conclusion it's a real gem. Just another case of taste gone weird or what? I have got the impression that most people find Dark Soho's output gets steadily worse as one goes through the years... for myself, Combustion is the one thing I want saved - no other single or album really does it for me like this. \m/ anyone with me on this one or am I just a freak? :D

Opinions on the band? Oh yeah, they were pretty cool live, but not enough for me to like their recorded music any more at the time (2003)...

I really loved them when i first listened to the track "Fusion" in Shiva Space.

I was always waiting for them to release something more than good.But they didnt.Except from 3 or 4 tracks.But their style is cool,definately for live-show.

For me, Sunspot is the gem. And is the only album from them that I own. Combustion has a few good tracks. But it lacks the scary elements that was so great in Sunspot. Light In The Dark is, well, it's just crap.

I never liked dark soho... only the track with that cradle of filth sample was safe...

It was on sun spot I think, gothic guitar style :unsure:

Like them alot, Fusion and lots of old compilation tracks reallty do it for me...

But the commercial Full-On trend got to them:::.

Money, money, money

Must be funny

In the rich man’s world

Money, money, money

Always sunny

In the rich man’s world

Aha-ahaaa

All the things I could do

If I had a little money

It’s a rich man’s world

among other reasons that is..

Yep, good band indeed but i believe that you need a really special mood to hear their music. When it's on it's good. I have the second album as well and enjoy it from to time.

The last album is not that bad. 2 really good tunes and the rest is average full on. Much better than most of other full on clones IMHO.

Mood? Everything involves mood. :)

Dark Soho's first album (Sunspot) was very good, maybe great for its time. :)

I prefer their second album, (Cumbustion) because of the several monster tracks, and I consider the first two albums very good; with several great songs.

The third album is a huge disappointment. Their actually is one track thats pretty good called Long Way Home, and one or two others are decent, but thats it.

I miss the dark, storming, gothic melodies like in Sunspot, and the carry-over into maybe as dark or even darker terrain in Cumbustion.

The Light in the Dark one is mostly typical, average full-on, and it is a huge disappointment because of who its coming from. People develop expectations when a group releases two very well done quality albums. I'm sure that many more people would have appreciated this "light" approach and newer diection, had there been more than just one or two good songs. Because of the lack of good songs on their third album, it makes it easier to bash Dark Soho for turning tword the light, when in essence, it very much has to do their lack of good/great "light" songs. The entire album is forgettable, and had this been dark but with as a typical a full on formula, it still would have been a disappointment, just not nearly as much. B)

liked the dark album very much

too bad it got played so much...

made me think of hosico.

very nice dude's too btw .

rizo he's a darling.

come's playing here in belgium just for plain ticket fair.

doenst mean they're commercial does it?

only like one song of the new album.

i'm not for the full on stuff.

but that was their plan first to make a dark album ( the demon on cover)

and then a light album ( the angel on cover)