What warrents a 10/10 album? How do you score?

Jon Cocco

i read ur review of the last 1200 mics album..

10/10 is reserved for classic album such as xdream - radio of infected mushroom  - classical mushroom for example...

u may not like these albums (these r examples, there r more great albums outhere) but those are much more original and deep than anything 1200 mics has ever released imo...

what i am saying is that albums should not be reviewed solely based on the style and whether u like that style or not, but also on whether the album has depth and has some originality...

220500[/snapback]

I have to agree with the quote above, which simply got me thinking on how any of us score, our standards, and what makes an album 10/10??? Could you give something a 10/10 if you didn't really like it? Must it be a classic, revolutionize, be amazing? It seems that some of us really disagree on such a simple but understandable-as-to-why we'd disagree thing. The purpose of this thread is not to over-analyze the statment above, but rather use it as an example -- as to scoring albums.

What exactly makes an album 10/10? Why you feel this way. This is what I feel, and for the record, we're all human, we're all biased in one way or another, so lets just cut the shit and at least try to be a little honest outside of our cute, little, limited minds. :D

The 1200 Mics - Time Machine album was totally above the majority of full-on albums of 2004, but it wasn't amazing or groundbreaking, and I didn't consider every track great or even really good either, but it is a fun, well done, full-on party album with some good and decent tracks, and no bad ones! I really liked 1200 Mics - Time Machine, and I feel it deserves around an 8/10 or a B- ... I say that because as well done an album as this is ... I feel there should be room left for the better albums that do exist and deserve higher scores. :)

What does it, should it take to give something the highest rating? I'd think its something, something big, special, important, and rare or very uncommon! I went over this a bit toward the end of my review on Filteria - Sky Imput, an album that I felt was AWESOME, and even I had difficulty on whether or not I feel it derserves a B+ or an A-! Just read through my review or toward the end for more on this ... as in the end, I couldn't not compare it to Pleiadians, since they were both in that style, it makes all the more sense to compare. Now I realize that just because somethings original doesn't mean its good. I can make a movie with a scene involving a guy trying to have sex with a snowball, but even if its original in a movie, the concept is just plain stupid, and this is not good. (bad example)

However, Pleiadians for example, was a sucessful, groundbreaking and excellent album ... and as great as Filteria is, it would not have existed in this intricate, melodic style, had this style not existed before, and yet I believe that Filteria can still achieve an A in the future, anyone can achieve what we consider enormous excellence, right? As far as a classic goes, Pleiadians is one of the rare albums that I feel deserves an A, not by opinion, but by default, but hey thats just my opinion, ;)

I feel the rules for an album to get a 10/10, are...

1.) * It can NOT have one bad, half-decent, or decent song!, or the score is obvioulsy brought down, duh! Its about the whole picture, not part of the picture.

2.) * A real Classic!

3.) * It must revolutionize or innovate, [and/or] be outstanding in some way, not just have one or two or even three great or excellent songs! This is an entire album we're talking about. To give you a more general idea of my standards, and you decide ... almost all the goatrance albums I feel deserve an A or an A- are:

Astral Projection - Trust In Trance ... A

Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy ... A

Pleiadians - I.F.O. ... A

Hallucinogen ... A

Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom ... A

Cosmosis - Cosmology - A-

Chi - A.D. - Earth Crossing ... A-

Filteria - Sky Imput ... A-

If we gave every album we really liked or thought to love, a 10/10, than what distinguishes say, a masterpiece like Hallucinogen - Twisted, or something that happens to innovate so much on excellence like Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger ... from just another well done, party album?, (other than the music) even if its well done? Where do we draw the line? When I review an album, I review it for what it is in its genra or sub-genra. Without getting too off-topic, a good analogy is with movies. I may love a certain movie, but if I gave every movie I loved or really liked an A, where would my standards go? There has to be some level of organizing the good from the bad, the groundbreaking or amazing from the not, or the line gets blurry and we'd treat every album similar for what it is and maybe lose some credibility.

Anyway, I can't force anyone on how to judge or review something. For me, I believe, unless something is ***AMAZING*** (and sometimes even then) I feel that it should be known that there is always room for improvement, room to give an album X amounts and see what happens with their next album, which might be even better! I realize everyone has their own self-system of comparing or whatever. I try to review something for what it is, (like compare a progressive album with other progressive albums) and compare to show evidence, (which is sometimes hard when something is original or groundbreaking!) and reserve the highest scores for the albums that we know in our hearts are the greatest of all time, (which is rare). I didn't LOVE Starwars like some people, but its one of the most important films of our time, what it did for cinema, raising the bar on special effects, visuals, etc... plus it had a great story, plot, characters, directing, editing, etc.. Starwars derserves 4/4 stars, and its a novice example of a film classic, a 10/10 period, and I'll say this again ... I feel it doesn't have to revolutionize to get a 10/10, but it could. I'm always ecstatic to hear or see something when its groundbreaking! ;)

I hope when it comes to anything, we can look at it for what it is, and try to sometimes see the beauty in something, even if it isn't our type for what it is, and still appreciate it. If we love it, thats all the more reason to take a step back and make sure we're not being overly biased from being drunk by what impresses us as the individual. When it comes to reviewing, I think that for many of you some of the time, if you find it great, sometimes most of us do as well, sometimes not, as I found the 2004 psytrance/club album Bio-Tonic - Divina good, not great, and thats the ONLY TIME EVER that everyone on these forums who posted on that review thread I posted, seemed to totally disagree!, and I say in that review, that if you don't mind voices, some lyrics, etc.. like Analog Pussy - Trance n' Roll, than this is recommended, and thats just an example of comparing something for what it is.

I always give 10/10 for a classic or something really extraordinary or innovative in the genre. But, it is mostly classics that get the highest grade and there is lots of them. Very rarely some album get 10/10 nowadays because I can't hear originality anymore and most albums get slightly over the average grade, I can't even remember the classics or extraordinary albums from past years...Umm, let me think about...CHI-A.D. - INFINTISM ( 2001 ), COSMA - SIMPLICITY ( 2001 ), INFECTED MUSHROOM - B.P.EMPIRE ( 2001 ), FRACTAL GLIDER - PARASITE ( 2002 ), CHI-A.D. - EARTH CROSSING ( 2002 ), COSMA - NON STOP ( 2003 ), VIBRASPHERE - LIME STRUCTURE ( 2003 ), JUNO REACTOR - LABYRINTH ( 2004 ), so you see, it is very few albums...

umm........i would give my 10/10 to:

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

X - Dream - Radio

Mr Peculiar - Elements

Xenomorph - Qlippoth

Steptime - Steptime

AP - Another World

Green Nuns - Rock Bitch Mafia

Children of Paradise - Urban Alien

and maybe some more i cant remember right now...

Why i give my 10/10 to those?

Because when i first listened to them,i was shocked,i was excited and after some years,i still enjoy them.Im very happy about them and i believe they all have a unique sound that is hard to be created ever again.Boom

I think when somebody's gives 10/10 it's 100% subjective... 10/10 just means you love the album so much that you're blind for any negative review... it's like falling in love with a girl ;) ... there are some releases I give 10/10 (not much) because they suit me perfectly...

the main reason why I give 10/10 (after expieriencing it's my kind of goa)...is because there isn't one bad track on the release...

Distance to goa 5 - cd2

Infected mushroom - bp empire

Ominus

first release entheogenic...

1200 mics first release...

pleidians - ifo...

the muses rapt - spiritual healing...

rastaliens - freestyle...

there are more but no time to think...

if you bother to quote from a different topic, then why not go all the way and quote my reply to the quote in the first place?

that's exactly it!! For me the 1200 Mics album IS a 2004 classic.. it doesn't have to be groundbreaking for it to be considered as a "classic"... But honestly for me that album is one of the big standouts of 2004.

220574[/snapback]

anyway, long story short, as most REVIEWERS (yes, to all those complaining, start writing your own reviews and see for yourself how your understanding of the reviewing process will change dramatically...) already said, a review is SUBJECTIVE! It is based on EMOTION and there are no scales for emtions: you either feel extreme joy or pain. It is your rational mind that steps in afterwards and starts doing the comparing (yes, I feel extreme joy now but was my joy higher or lower than when I lstened to AP - People Can Fly 9 years ago? or when I listened to Schizoeffective in 2000? etc.). So as you can imagine this process is VERY biased. Personally, if I REALLY made an effort to recall the time when I'd listen to oldschool and be so stunned that my hands were litterally shaking then yes, none of the releases from the post-oldschool days would deserve more than 7/10 simply because they just don't make me tremble in awe in front of them. But then again, I was 16 when I started listening to goa and now I'm 24... In the same way when you fall in love with a girl when you're 16 it's VERY different to when you fall in love when you're 24. But does that mean that the girl you fall in love at 24 is less good than the one at 16? Or simply that you have a greater experience that allows you to compare? But then expirience or no experience, you STILL felt more deeply in love at 16 than 24 and it's THAT high that you want to feel again. But did you really feel that high in the first place or is it your memory which distrots facts in the first place?

so anyway, to get back on topic... I rate a 10/10 when I find an album REALLY does it for me. I know a lot of people might find my remarks that the 1200 Mics album is great or that Talpa's downtempo tracks are better than Shpongle as being exagerated but for me, keeping into account that we're living in the present and not in the past, those are valid remarks and I stand by them :)

I use my 10/10 rating VERY sparingly. For me, the album has to be PERFECT... not just great, not just excellent, but FLAWLESS. That is the meaning of the complete rating. Look at Infected Mushroom's Classical Mushroom - amazing music, but there are some tracks on there that aren't so excellent, and there are some bad samples in use, and essentially I could find a few flaws. I might give it a 9/10 but not the 10/10 rating for that reason - there are flaws, however minor.

Looking through some of the reviews I have sitting here on my computer I see only ONE album that has hit the mark:

12 Moons - Solid State

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

i never gave any credit to people rating cd with 10/10, personnally i also never attribute this mark when i'm reviewing coz perfection doesn't exist globally & consequently musically for me furthermore you can give 10 a cd, 2 years later your musical knowledge has improved & this same cd ,abstracting your listening to recent releases , will probably got a decreased marking.

According to me people writing this rating , belong to a category that eitheir always love or dislike things but don't know intermediate level appreciation.

They don't know what's 'moderation' in their judgement.

Evaluation, believe me or not, is a concept, that really few people are easy with (coz there's 2 dimensions:absolute & relative; try to be coherent with a rating mixing absolute & relative, you'll understand how fuckin hard it is), that's why we'll keep on seeing lot of 10/10.

I think when somebody's gives 10/10 it's 100% subjective... 10/10 just means you love the album so much that you're blind for any negative review... it's like falling in love with a girl  ;) ...

220640[/snapback]

Yes, great analogy, relative to being subjective!

if you bother to quote from a different topic, then why not go all the way and quote my reply to the quote in the first place?

Heh, its cool Lemmiwinks. I understand, and I realized that you'd probably understand that I didn't mean anything bad by quoting the first part of it. Its just that the quote I started this thread out with was the one that instantly inspired me to start writing about standards, scoring, and what it takes anyone to give a 10/10? Its nothing personal, heh, and even though I gave my 2 cents on 1200 Mics and you can obviously read that I feel different about its score, I used that as an example so I could articulate my own points, not argue with yours. :)

In the same way when you fall in love with a girl when you're 16 it's VERY different to when you fall in love when you're 24. But does that mean that the girl you fall in love at 24 is less good than the one at 16? Or simply that you have a greater experience that allows you to compare? But then expirience or no experience, you STILL felt more deeply in love at 16 than 24 and it's THAT high that you want to feel again. But did you really feel that high in the first place or is it your memory which distrots facts in the first place?

220647[/snapback]

I agree! You can make an entire thread on this! Like with the first girl you fall in love with, and with certain albums you love ... in retrospect, the experience, its nostalgic and strong when thinking about it. It seems that we've gotten into this same music around the same time (1998 for me) and the feeling and memory I have with AP's earlier stuff, (Kabalah, Astral Files, Dancing Galaxy) and Transwave, (Land of Freedom) etc... is so much stronger because my mind associates to those earlier times when I first heard this music; when I was STUNNED; my first experiences!, but does that mean those tracks or albums were all 10/10, heh? Who knows?, but for me they were. But I remember! I ran out and showed my friends, pulled up to my high school in my fathers car, blasting Astral Projection, Transwave, and Hallucinogen, and people would walk up to the car and say, "Dude thats fucking amazing!!! What type of music is that?" And I'd say "goa," and they'd say, "What the hell's that?!

Back then, it was a feeling that I haven't REALLY gotten to that degree since the earlier days, the mid-late 90's! Its a special, deep feeling, you know? But now of course, its impossible to react the same way, because like our first love, I agree that NOTHING will EVER BE as strong as the first time, at least, not in this body and mind, but..but...but, can we rate it as if its just as strong and great? After all, an album isn't a person or a spirit, its a material, howeve the music and the experience is different obvously, creating an experience that we seem to connect with sometimes via spirit; having an experience. Its just that we're so discensitized to this music now. So I think its harder for us to be impressed like back then, and with all the more mainstream, minimal, fullon, non-innovative albums replacing lots of those old-school, masterful albums (AP-Another World) maybe this is part the reason. :huh:

But like you said, "does that mean that the girl you fall in love at 24 is less good than the one at 16? The truth is that back then, the first girl was the best, even if she wasn't the best for me realistically ... More albums to me back then were 5/5 or 10/10's because I heard less, so I had less to compare, and as I got older, some of my impressions and scores actually changed! I think, for example, even if the girl at the later age might be the better one, our standards since than have risen, and maybe than we can realize that we rated someone too high earlier because we simple did find that person amazing because it was our FIRST EXPERIENCE and so we had LESS to compare her too, but does that make the experience back then different? No. But yes, this is a great point to explore. As we get older, as we now are more experienced and aware than we were 8 or 10 years ago, we simply have more knowledge and more life history from hearing so many albums. Part of us well always be subjective, but we can try to be somewhat objective also by looking at it for what it is, like in the same genra, because unlike back than, we now can compare more because we've heard more! Nonetheless, everyone is biased, and I really try to watch out for that when I review! But certain people simply prefer writing subjective reviews while others prefer writing objective ones. Like I feel with your review of Filteria, you loved the album and I agreed with you about it being a real killer, but it isn't exactly an easy feat coming close to Pleiadians style and production either, for better or worse. Then with 1200 Mics Time Machine, I coiuldn't understand why you'd give an album a 10/10 after saying so many negative or not positive things, :huh: and I wrote a review in that review since than.

I think we can be OBJECTIVE; more concrete, because by comparing, there is more that people can see and relate to. So few people didn't like Filteria's album because they didn't "feel" the maximal, insane flow of melodies, and some people think because they don't like it, its bad. Hahahahaha!!! But some of those few people probably didn't like IFO either, or the style in general. Regardless, if you liked IFO or not, by comparing it to something else in its class, you can create a more objective review. And even than it must be very hard to be totally NOT subjective. I believe in balance. You seem to feel that either something is subjective or objective, because it seems almost impossible to love something and give it a bad rating, or hate it and give it a 10/10, ya know? And what if you are just more critical like me, (sometimes you really are) and you say that even though you liked the music for you, the reason why this or that, or for example, The Matrix is better than Matrix Reloaded is because of x,y, and z. I believe it is possible to love something, and also have evidence to prove your objective analysis, or hate something and still look at it for what it is. You may agree or disagree, but I think there simply are less stunning albums being made today! Think about it.. I mean, I haven't given one album an A- in 3 FUCKING YEARS! I was beginning to wonder what is wrong with me! Like am I being too harsh because the old sound that made my first experiences so strong isn't being released anymore? But then out of no where, in 2004 I heard two albums,

*Chi-A.D.'s - Earth Crossing

*Filteria - Sky Imput

I had a REALIZATION; a wake-up call as to why I've given so few albums a 10/10 over the years. Its not entirely because the old-skool great albums are gone, because there is always room for innovation and improvements on styles (like the albums above) My hesitation and reason for not giving anything a 9 or above is because it has been a VERY LONG time for me since something really impressive came out! Now more than ever, there are just so few great albums; classics, albums that impressed me because they're rarely amazing, and I realize that saying that last bit is subjective, but I know you know what I mean. :)

hehe yes I guess we can talk about this for days :) Reminds me of that Simpsons episode with Funzo:

And so, Gary Coleman and the Simpsons argued long into the night, and then, as day broke, the spirit of the season entered their hearts.

'Lets just agree that the commercialization of Christmas is, at best, a

mixed blessing' 

;)

umm........i would give my 10/10 to:

Steptime - Steptime

220608[/snapback]

Totally agree on that ;)

Hehehe...seriously though...thx

That kind of comment is truly heart warming.

If someone make a comment that they think a track is killer it of course also nice, and thats normally enough to make me happy and feel to keep going.

But that someone obviously think it's really special it feels very encouraging.

So keep being generous please :)

Hehe...JK

I agree that it should not be overused since it should ba an extra step and mark to acheive that compared to a 9.

Maybe something like the top 1-2% should deserve a 10.

If I would be trying to rate releases it would be hard for me to say that everything should be perfect for 10/10.

If one release have a few super alltime classics they can be amazing enough to make that a very special release for me and end up being one of the very top anyway.

But I have to really struggle to think about one album or compilation with only IMO really super great tracks. In that case 10/10 for me would be the top 0.1% or so, which if find a bit too extreme.

Totally agree on that ;)

Hehehe...seriously though...thx

That kind of comment is truly heart warming.

If someone make a comment that they think a track is killer it of course also nice, and thats normally enough to make me happy and feel to keep going.

But that someone obviously think it's really special it feels very encouraging.

221101[/snapback]

HeHe

Well,i was always a big fan of Swedish psychedelia.

And that album is a classic!The bass,the melodies,the atmosphere!!Pure psychedelia :o ...

No6 It's Time is one of the best tracks ever..... ;)

Go Go Spindrift! :)

Guest Astro Cortex

a review is SUBJECTIVE! It is based on EMOTION and there are no scales for emtions: you either feel extreme joy or pain. It is your rational mind that steps in afterwards and starts doing the comparing (yes, I feel extreme joy now but was my joy higher or lower than when I lstened to AP - People Can Fly 9 years ago? or when I listened to Schizoeffective in 2000? etc.). So as you can imagine this process is VERY biased.

I totally agree with that.

coz there's 2 dimensions:absolute & relative; try to be coherent with a rating mixing absolute & relative, you'll understand how fuckin hard it is

And that's why I don't give ratings in reviews.

Rating always requires comparison. And comparison doesn't always make sense, at least not in terms of how much you like something. Imagine the following: artist A is your favourite artist of all time and you own all 20 albums of that artist. There is one of them that you don't like as much as the other 19 but still, it is a very good one in your opinion. So you rate it 9/10. Consequently the others get a 10/10. Then there is this album by artist B, which you reviewed earlier and gave it a 10/10, and you still think it's a truly superb album. But when comparing it to the 9/10 album by asrtist A you find out that you still like the 9/10 album by artist A a bit more than the 10/10 album by artist B. So you have to change the ratings: 9/10 A becomes 10/10, 10/10 B becomes 9/10. But then the other 19 albums by artist A will have to be scored 11/10. Oh no, that's impossible! So all ratings one point down again. But holy shit, what about album X by artist Y then, which you initially rated 5/10?! I mean, you still like half of the tracks on it..... :P So you see, it can get a bit claustrophobic and confusing when it comes to systematic rating.

And of course, as stated before, our msical taste can change, even within one particular genre, and so do our personal ratings for certain albums. There are some albums that I would have given a 10/10 years ago which today I don't enjoy as much as I used to. So, "objectively" (note those quotation marks!) these albums would still get a high rating, but on the other hand, ratings are based on personal opinion, and my opinion on an album has definitely changed when I say I don't like it as much as I used to.

Moreover, if I'd give ratings to all the releases I own there would still be too many 10/10 albums to be a credible reviewer. That's simply because most of those albums create a special mood or atmosphere that isn't matched by any other piece of music I've heard, and that's why it's so difficult for me to compare albums in form of a rating system.

IMHO a good review is decriptive to a certain degree and it's always interesting to read what feelings/moods/associations the music evokes in other people. In fact, what predominantly determines if I like an album or not, is the specific atmosphere it creates. And that "atmosphere" thing cannot be measured in ratings. I know that in most cases it's almost impossible to put the mood of an album into words but you can always try and, I say it again, this is what makes the essence of a good review. Not any ratings.

I agree with Le Lotus Blu - a 10/10 means it can be no better, it's perfect, and so it's foolish to rate something 10/10

When I see 10/10 given to an album I completely disregard that review

I don't think I've rated an album above 9.5 since maybe Classical Mushroom/Radio/Cryptic Crunch - that was like 4 years ago too...

Unfortunately I just haven't been that impressed with the psytrance these days - I am though REALLY impressed with some of the recent chill stuff - Ott, Blumenkraft, Shulman, Bluetech, Shpongle, COnverting Vegetarians ..

The innovation right now seems to be in the Chill arena, I hope the uptempo stuff gets good again though..

I wonder what will be the next Radio, or Classical Mushroom?

This sounds kind of arrogant, but I can imagine what the revolutionary sound of psytrance will sound like, but I'm not a producer and couldn't make the music myself..

I'll know it when someone makes it though - it'l be "The DMT Sound" if that makes any sense - completely phenomenal *hyperspatial* sounding music...

Nothin I hear nowadays would I call "hyperspatial" or "DMT" sounding music...

Ratings are always relative - there really is no other way. But one may develop a personal system of ratings that makes some sense and follows a certain kind of logic. I've listened to a lot, and developed my taste, and when I get right into a release to do a thorough review (see several examples in this forum - long long posts) I'm able to arrive at a satisfactory number usually. It's done based on averages... 5/10 for an average release - the common ones, where there is no special need to buy one over another. After reviewing over a hundred new CDs I came to have a good sense about what I would be handing out marks from 6 to 10 for - above average (6) / good (7) / great (8) / excellent (9) / perfect (10)... sometimes I would go back after looking at the list and fiddle with the values, but generally I arrive at a system that works. I emphasize the word system to note that the ratings have more meaning when they are carefully chosen in consideration with what other music is available out there. It seems to work anyway... I mean, the little number at the bottom of a review only means so much - the words above that will tell you a lot more. Some people want a quick reaction however, so they can be useful - as long as one has an idea of how a reviewer comes up with that rating! I see too many people rating everything above 6 - and at that point you really only have a scale out of 5. Well, couldn't talk a lot longer on the subject but this is already quite enough :D

I've only heard ONE perfect album: Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

There are absolutely no flaws in it.

Others like The Lone Deranger, Rock Bitch Mafia and stuff like that all contain bigger or smaller problems and are "only" 9/10.

I used to hate electronic music of any kind (probably around the time most of you were just getting into psy....SIGH!!!)

I think that the biggest part of this music is how it makes you feel. If you like it and it gives you an emotional tweak of ecstacy or happiness or some primordial grunt or an arms flailing wildly in the air sort of feeling, then rate it as highly as you want.

The more seasoned music listeners however will want much more from EVERYTHING they deign to lend an ear to. The more music I hear, the more closely i listen. So doesnt that mean that i should put more effort into the way i review my music collection, if only for myself to give me a reference for future enjoyment, AND to pass on to our friends and fellow psylovers....

I'd also like to point out here that i've only been listening to psy seriously for less than a year. My first 10/10 album is always going to be Classical Mushroom, which i heard for the first time at the end of 2002! So for me all the stuff that everyones already tiring of or is placed at a seemingly unreachable level of greatness is all new to me. And yet i find myself atuned to what is obviously good. Transwave - Land of Freedom was mentioned and its a track that ive fallen for only in the last week or so! Etnica - Alien Protein is also an album i would be tempted to give a 10 to, but whats the point? Everyone already knows its great. The innovation it sparked back in 1996 has already flourished and died/changed. Yet for me to use it as a base point to reference anything else i hear back to that might be my way of personalising my system of reviewing.

Lastly, but seemingly not controversial enough, 1200 Mics - The Time Machine.

Now i believe i gave this a 9/10. I stand by that, as it was true at the time of writing it. I had a freaking awesome time with that album... the first time i listened to it. Maybe it's lost some of that original appeal, but while it was still fresh in my mind i actually made the effort to voice my opinion. So at this point, somewhere down the track from that first burst of sound into my ears, i might downgrade it to an 8/10. But that's only for my own taste. Another new listener might hear it and want to give it a 9 or 10 and keep it, or change their mind and degrade, or just get bored and forget that they ever listened to it in the first place. (Im not sure just HOW short people's attention spans are getting)

All we have to remember is that ANYTHING you say has an effect on the community. If we let it slide too much. Get too soft. Try to like everything. Then the music will suffer. There has to be some sort of weeding process.

Verily we cannot be too hasty to criticise pointlessly either as this will put doubt into the newbie's mind or even the experienced critique's. Im not saying we're all weak minded followers, but there's got to be a point where your opinion comes second to someone elses enjoyment of a thing.

It is easy to criticise someone else's art/music/psy, it is when you start to create your own that you find it impossible NOT to criticise.

ahhhh... i think some of that's been brewing for a while now.

Rant over

Peaceful, Insightful, Psychedelic Symphony