Need good recs!

ensign

Hello all, I'm new here, but have been sifting through the threads for a couple weeks or so (i can't stand when someone barges into a forum without first assessing the climate...i digress). I'm fairly new to the realm of psychedelic music, and like most Americans, I have had extremely little exposure nor access to it. My best friend, whose musical taste and mine have evolved along a very similar parallel, came across Shpongle while Kazaa'ing for new music, as we are constantly in search of something that sounds new/fresh/different. This was a few years ago, and it happened to coincide with a time in our lives when we were delving into the world of non-musical psychedelic cultivation. We found, as I'm sure many others have, that the heightened, or altered sense of awareness and reality conjured by Posford and Ram were in ways comparable to the "unsanity" brought on by our fungal friends. Since then, we've sought out more music that would produce these desired effects, to counter our move away from that stage in our lives. I've hunted down the Hallucinogen albums, which I do enjoy but not to the same extent as the Shpongle albums (I am eagerly awaiting the 3rd and final release). I had bought B.P. Empire a while ago, my first exposure to Infected Mushroom, but it was at a time before I could fully appreciate it. More recently I tracked down Classical Mushroom, of which I am ENORMOUS fan, and having listened to that can now enjoy BP Empire (although not to the same extent as CM). One of my most recent favorites was Younger Brother's Flock of Bleeps... the textures within that one song Crumblenaut are amazing. Forgive me if I am not falling entirely into the correct classification, but over the years I have had an extremely hard time differentiating specific genres, because within a single album, or even a single song, there could be movements of psytrance/ambient etc etc. I now have the Gathering en route, as well as X-Dream's Radio on its way. I know these don't fall into the same genres, but I am also a huge fan of The Orb's earlier albums, as well as Fluke's Risotto (minus the 1st two commerical-crap tracks) and Sasha's Airdrawndagger... I also have the two Shulman CDs, which I consider to be quite beautiful and have great moments (no pun intended), but don't always hold my interest (i believe his second album is superior). i am posting here to tap what I assume is a great resource in finding new music along the same lines as my current tastes... i dont expect to find the same sounding music, but merely ask your help in the progression of my musical taste. thank you all in advance for your recommendation, and I look forward to becoming a member of your community.

cheers!

-ben

ps - sorry about the length of the post and hope you guys made it through to the end =)

Hi there Ensign,

I recommend the following albums to you:

The Misted Muppets - From the Legend

Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan (Prometheus is one half of Younger Brother)

Phutureprimitive - Subconcious (Shpongle style)

Bluetech - Elementary Particles

These are all relative new releases so there shouldn't be any problem finding them.

Hope you like them, take care.

What's up Ensign,

I'm from the US as well and your post pretty much reminded me of how I got into this music as well. I think I can sort of tell what style you're into given your current tastes.

Check out these recommendations ASAP:

Hallucinogen - In Dub

Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun

Ott - Blumenkraft

Bluetech - Elementary Particles + Prima Materia

Mystery of the Thirteen Crystal Skulls

Secret of the Thirteen Crystal Skulls

Eclipse: A Journey Of Permanence And Impermanence

Juno Reactor - Odyssey (best of)

Astral Projection - In the Mix (best of)

The Muses Rapt - Spiritual Healing

Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation

Yahel - Private Collection

Astrix - Eye to Eye

Sub6 - Who Needs Love Songs

1200 Mics - 1200 Micrograms

Tikal - Ritual Cycle

OK that should keep you busy for a while. Let me know if you want some more personal recommendations.

Thanks for the suggestions, Trolsk. I'll try to track those down now, although I didn't see some of them at PsyShop nor Saiko sounds. Amphiton, I've been using both those sites to purchase music, and i know how to find cross-label references etc, but I was wondering if you have any particular favorites along the same lines (if we share any of the same tastes).

Also thanks, Prime8... I've actually got Hallucinogen-In Dub (i like), Ott-Blumenkraft (has several awesome tracks), Eclipse - Journey into..., and Mystery of the 13 Crystal Skulls (also good stuff)... but the other stuff is new to me. Seems like you've hit right on the mark so far based on the ones you suggested that I own/like, so I'll check out the others for sure.

Anyone else?

-Ben

Hello ensign... welcome to the possibly best psytrance forums in the world. And more importantly, the great style of music it represents...

Try Juno Reactor albums.

Also, a really high recommendations is the double CD The Mystery Of The Yeti 1/Mystical Experiences. Both of these albums are, so to say, the "roots" of Shpongle.

Mystery of the Yeti 2 is also pure ambient gold.