Pre99 psy/goa

travbrad1001

The people in the "worst agers of 04" thread got me thinking. I just started discoveriing psy/goa music in the last few years and 99% of the stuff i've heard is 1999 or later. A lot of people seem to praise the "old school" psy/goa stuff, so i am interested in hearing some of this.

So, can anyone recommend me some good pre99 albums or tracks to check out? I've never heard anything older than 98, and hardly any of that. I'm probably missing out on some great music. :) thx

P.S. I realize there are a lot of "best album/track" threads, but i haven't seen one with older stuff in them.

Some very essential albums:

Hallucinogen - Twisted

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Juno Reactor - Bible Of Dreams

Koxbox - Forever After

Koxbox - Dragon Tales

Orichalcum & The Deviant

Some personal favourites:

Etnica - Alien Protein

Transwave - Phototropic

VA - Strange Vibrations

VA - Order Odonata (the first 3 in the series)

Chakra & Edi Mis - The Promised Land

Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Twin Sharkfins

I could go on forever but that's enough for quite a while anyway.

The people in the "worst agers of 04" thread got me thinking.  I just started discoveriing psy/goa music in the last few years and 99% of the stuff i've heard is 1999 or later.  A lot of people seem to praise the "old school" psy/goa stuff, so i am interested in hearing some of this. 

So, can anyone recommend me some good pre99 albums or tracks to check out?  I've never heard anything older than 98, and hardly any of that.  I'm probably missing out on some great music.  :)  thx

P.S.  I realize there are a lot of "best album/track" threads, but i haven't seen one with older stuff in them.

211637[/snapback]

It's pretty much the opposite with me actually. I also haven't been listening to goa for too long but of the stuff I listen to, 99% was made before 1999. I just like the melody that I get in a lot of these tracks. Many new tracks are more incomprehensible to me, with their ever beating hi-hats just repeating the same short sequence over and over. Old tracks are like a journey, and each is one of its own. So now that you want some nice old goa, I will spell out three letters that do it for me: MFG.

Basically go check out the review section on this site

<---- Press Goa Reviews

Go to albums - press Any Year, and everything you see marked in red is pretty essential...

Happy hunting!

DP

211640[/snapback]

What he said, although you shouldn't always trust the "red marking". I've experienced that unmarked compilations are far better than the marked ones, but that's just taste I guess. Check out the reviews of different compilations, and you'll get a picture of which tracks and albums which are worth getting. Some searching in the forums is also a good idea (search for "oldschool", "classics" etc). ;)

Try some compilations and then look for albums by the groups you like. Below are some compilations that will give you a good hint of the beauty you've missed. :)

V/A - Phosphorescent - TIP Records

V/A - First Flight - Flying Rhino

V/A - Air Born - Flying Rhino

V/A - Destination Goa 3 and 5

V/A - Dementertainment - Twisted Records

V/A - Order Odonata 2 - Dragonfly

V/A - A Taste of Goa Trance - Distance

Enjoy!