Hi Hats

Guest Schallusion

Guest Schallusion

Hi,

the simple querstion is: how to make cool hi hats ;)

we tried several samples yet, but they always sound to normal an simple because they are just recorded.

we love the hi hats from space tribe and hallucinogen for example. they sound like being generated with noise or something like that. the hallucinogen hi hats often have a flanger effect on it.

maybe you can just tell us how you make hi hats !

thanks Schallusion

Can you tell me a specific track, or even better, can you give me a sample of what you are trying to achieve? :) That way I can work out what you are trying to do :)

Basically, the most used hats out there are from the 808, 909, 707 and 505 (Old trance classics that is). You can manipulate them very good with todays software by stretching them, adding noise, adding filters, adding whatever :) Oh, and I forgot the 606 :) There are a lot of other DrumMachines with sometimes even better sounds, but these are the ones mostly used.

Generated with Noise, then I can only think of the Korg hats.

Korg Open HiHAT

Hope that helps for now :)

Guest Schallusion

hi,

first, thank you for the fast answer ..

here are some tracks with the spezified hat:

space tribe - gods chosen people (the first hat who comes in and the second)

hallucinogen - deranger (also the first hi hat which comes in)

they sound more like when you say tssss with the englich spoken t in the front ;)

and they sound very sharp!

Schallusion

hi,

first, thank you for the fast answer ..

they sound more like when you say tssss with the englich spoken t in the front ;)

Schallusion

211501[/snapback]

In the hallucinogen track its 99% a 808 (closed hihat). I have made all of you a little sample pack with 707 808 and 909 samples.

check it out here: http://www.esknetlabs.com/audio/707808909.rar

Enjoy

i think hihats is one of the things that makes trance boring imo.. tktsstktsstksst

211542[/snapback]

Can you tell me one track that is not boring then?! :)

Side note: What Towelie said. I must say that it sounds quite retarded that there is always an open hat exactly in between kick drums and this is the case about 99% trance tracks. Why is that? There are limitless amount of possible grooves but still it always goes Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii Boom Tshii

Psytrance used to be more playfull back then...

I remember plenty of people had the same opinion in the mid 90's.

They got fed up with trance because of straight kicks and hihat.

Sure variation can be nice, but the quest for it can make music very boring indeed.

Straight hats and kicks work and help you get in to trance, people get off on them.

There is nice trance tracks wich is more imaginative partly thanks to more inventive hihat and kicks, but not that many IMO. Most tracks I hear with more intricate drums seems rather stuck in trying to be differnt and does not work so good on the dance floor.

There is a lot more nice tracks in my taste that has a bog standard rythm pattern and that relies on other parts of the production to express the creativity.

If we would be discussing basslines I would agree that straight bass riffs is uncreative and there is room for a lot more variation and creativity when it comes to that.

About the original subject though.

One trick to make the hihats more alive is by pitching them slightly with the pitchwheel. Just wiggle it back and foth a bit to make them not sound so straight and sampled.

Also like nemo said, try to mix sounds.

Try to use for example an 909 sample but cut out the top frequencies with a lowpass.

Then add for example a more pure noise sound at the top going thru a highpass.

You can also like mentioned modulate them using a flanger or phaser.

Gating, compression , lofi plugins or reverb can all be very useful for hats as well.

Guest Schallusion

hi,

thanks for the tips and the sample kit ;) we try to do best with this.

do you know a vst-plugin clone of tr-909/808/707 or something like that? we dont't want to buy hardware in present.

another question is: do you use step sequencers, such thr drum synths have integrated. or do you use piano bars, espescialy when you combine a sample with a noise generator.

THX Schallunsion

wise words :) 

Not everything needs to be "continuously altered" when making a track...

You need those "straight" parts that keep you rockin steady ;P

211662[/snapback]

Of course they don't need to be "continuously altered" but the pattern/rhythm itself can be something different than "Boom Tshi Boom Tshi". For example Hallucinogen is (was) constantly doing other than "Boom Tshi" and people seem to love his music. And he also does a lot of other weird stuff with percussion and I have never heard anybody complain that Hallucinogen is hard to dance... quite the opposite.. it's fun... go figure... :rolleyes:

Of course they don't need to be "continuously altered" but the pattern/rhythm itself can be something different than "Boom Tshi Boom Tshi". For example Hallucinogen is (was) constantly doing other than "Boom Tshi" and people seem to love his music. And he also does a lot of other weird stuff with percussion and I have never heard anybody complain that Hallucinogen is hard to dance... quite the opposite.. it's fun... go figure...  :rolleyes:

211696[/snapback]

Groove Quantize :)

without listening to your examples, i can say hihats usually sounds very sharp and clear because of having their own sonic space in a mix where no other frequencies interfere. when mixing, try to use a combination of hi-pass filters and dipping of mid frequencies to achieve a thinner and crisper sound. many ppl tend to not eq out the mids from hihats but rather turn down the volume to make room for other instruments, but u will then no longer have any sparkle and the hihats will probably be buried in the mix.

do you know a vst-plugin clone of tr-909/808/707 or something like that? we dont't want to buy hardware in present.

I use Wizoo's Platinum24 Electronic Drums Sample CD. High quality samples from Roland's venerable TR-808 and TR-909 drum machines.