Best oldschool psychedelic trance artist/group?

shpongled

Best oldschool psychedelic trance artist/group?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Best oldschool psychedelic trance artist/group?

• Astral Projection
    • Doof
    • Eat Static
    • Electric Universe/Jupiter 8000
    • Etnica
    • Green Nuns Of The Revolution
    • Hallucinogen
    • Infected Mushroom
    • Jaïa
    • Juno Reactor
    • Koxbox/Psychopod/Saiko-Pod
    • Pleiadians
    • Quirk
    • Rip Van Hippy
    • Sandman
    • Space Tribe
    • The Infinity Project
    • Total Eclipse
    • Transwave
    • X-Dream/The Delta
    • Battle Of The Future Buddhas
    • Blue Planet Corporation
    • Chi-ad
    • Cosmosis
    • Dimension 5
    • Elysium
    • Genetic
    • Growling Mad Scientists
    • Lumukanda
    • Man With No Name
    • MFG
    • Miranda
    • Oforia
    • Ololiuqui
    • Orichalcul & the Deviant
    • Orion
    • Planet BEN
    • Power Source
    • Prana
    • Shakta
    • Shaolin Wooden Men
    • Shiva Chandra
    • Space Cat
    • SUN Project
    • Synchro
    • Tandu
    • The Muses Rapt
    • Ubar Tmar
    • UX
    • Zodiac Youth

Unfortunately you can put only 20 options in the poll system on this messageboard (edit: now it have been changed to 50 thanks to Mars) so it was impossible to incluede all the "big name" psy artists. (Mars.. can you change it?) :unsure:

Anyway... who is your favourite out of these 50?

To be honest I'm getting a little tired of all those "Who's the best?" topics :unsure:

It's a question of taste and everyone has a different one.. I just don't see the point?!

So I won't vote.. maybe you think it's lame but ok..

Where is MFG, Cosmosis or Shakta ? You put Quirk, Rip Van Hippy that don't even make old school...and yes, Delta is far from old school or Jupiter 8000...MY favourite ones are all that WERE making old school goa trance music, I can't name one single group...

the delta's first release was in 1997... so don't blame the threadstarter that much ;) ... but still strange poll to me... some I don't understand <_<

To answer some of your questions....

Anoebis and Seraph... the artists you ask are in this list below...

Battle Of The Future Buddhas

BLT

Blue Planet Corporation

Chi-ad

Cosmosis

Cydonia

Dark Soho

Deviant Electronics

Dimension 5

Elysium

Genetic

Growling Mad Scientist

Hux Flux

Joujouka

Lumukanda

Man With No Name

MFG

Miranda

Oforia

Ololiuqui

OOOD

Orichalcum And The Deviant

Orion

Planet BEN

Power Source

Prana

Process

Shakta

Shaolin Wooden Men

Shiva Chandra

Space Cat

Spectral

Spiral Active Project

Star Sounds Orchestra

Sun Project

Synchro

Tandu

Texas Faggott

The Muses Rapt

Toï Doï

Ubar Tmar

Union Jack

UX

Xenomorph

Zodiac Youth

Yesterday when I made this topic I first quickly collected meny names from reviews section of this site. The list above contains the names I left outside this poll because you can only incluede 20 answer in it. If somebody else would have made this poll it would look different... isn't that quite obvious? You know.. I can't read peoples mind... <_<

Lemmiwinks... I included IM because it's big name and I don't know what category they should be in... prog? minimal? full-on? tech? horror? No.. they simply have made at least two classic psytrance albums that people seem to love.

I don't know much about Rip Van Hippy but I thought it would be fair to give one spot for "wierdo trance"... you know aussie/finn style wackyness? So I came up Rip since I don't know much about that categoty... maybe there could have been Texas Faggott instead since they have released their first album propably somewhere around 96.

Quirk are simply classic... I was surprised now that I checked that they released their first album only 98... I remembered it was much earlier... maybe they have some stuff on compilations before 98? Hmm.. dunno.

The Delta and Jupiter 8000 are there only to show what other projects the artists have. I will take them out if I can still edit the poll.

:)

To be honest I'm getting a little tired of all those "Who's the best?" topics  :unsure:

So am I (but I have never nagged about them.. I just quit reading those). Now it's bit different since we have this new forum were you can make polls and the topics bounce back up when you answer... or you could even ask Mars to make it stick on the top all the time. You know there used to be "Top Goa" section in this site which people liked and now we could use this forum for that if you could include more than 20 answers to the polls. That way n00bs could read it and not ask milloin times the same questions.

It's a question of taste and everyone has a different one.. I just don't see the point?!

So I won't vote.. maybe you think it's lame but ok..

198900[/snapback]

You don't ever read/answer to polls? The point is simply to see other peoples favourites. I think polls are interesting (or at least good waste of time :P ) and practical (for n00bs so they can find quickly good music).

:)

i dont have a favourite artist , all of them are my favourite!

each one haves his own style , his own sounds.. ..each one tells you a different history!

i cant compare this artist to another so thats why everyone is my favourite. :)

I voted on MFG. Not because they make the best old school trance, i did it becuase almost all their tracks sound good... Some very good, some just good. I havent heard many bad MFG tracks. Otherwise I would have voted for Hallucinogen or pleiadians, but they have som really crapy tracks imo.

the delta's first release was in 1997...

OK, I'm just nagging cause i don't have anything better to do with my time here so... IMO oldschool is a style, it doesn't mean that the artists have released stuff early on in the goa scene. Then I'd call it "classic artists" or something like that. As a point of comparison, I wouldn't call Shaolin Wooden Men oldschool even if they were releasing stuff already in 1994 but I WOULD call Ypsilon 5 oldschool even if their first release is from 2004!

Lemmi is right, it doesn't matter when you made goa trance to be called as such, but the guy is right somehow to call Shaolin Wooden Men as old school cause they did make psychedelic music back then, no matter if it wasn't goa trance. I say that goa trance is style of music that consists massive melodies morphing one into another constantly with oriental touches of drums and samples splashed all around. Old school psychedelic trance is some how different than old school goa trance just cause psychedelic structures were more defined than goa structures for having strong acid lines, 303, and trippy feel, so I can call Shaolin Wooden men as old school, but Quirk cannot be called, same stands for Rip Van Hippy...Still, howw can you choose the best one out of so many. I can say that Pleiadians/Etnica, Astral Projection, MFG, Cosmosis, Hallucinogen, Transwave, Green Nuns Of The Revolution, Prana, Dimension 5, Chi-A.D, Shakta, Man With No Name, Power Source and Blue Planet Corporation made some best old school ever.

OK, I'm just nagging cause i don't have anything better to do with my time here so... IMO oldschool is a style, it doesn't mean that the artists have released stuff early on in the goa scene. Then I'd call it "classic artists" or something like that. As a point of comparison, I wouldn't call Shaolin Wooden Men oldschool even if they were releasing stuff already in 1994 but I WOULD call Ypsilon 5 oldschool even if their first release is from 2004!

199423[/snapback]

that is not perfectly correct my friend... it is true that still in the year 2004 someone can release retro goa but EVERYTHING that was released in the beginning like 1994 or 1997 is retro goa... your theorie doesn't work in both ways... It is not possible to release now todays goa back in 1994... retro goa is a style right now at the moment because we are in the year 2004 but it wasn't 10 years ago... you cannot deny the definition of time... retro means old and it is possible to create something just like the original old stuff but it is impossible to change that orginal creation and say it is not retro cause it is with the only reason it is made back in the days... It is not correct to change the origninal sounds that we are comparing with to create the style 'retro'...

for example if the newest release of astrix as you hear it was released in 1995 it would be retro... doesn't matter wich typical psy elements are present and wich not... the evolution of goa would be very different and goa wouldn't sound like it sounds today...

mmmmm preciously it isn't that easy cause I understand your theorie sort of... strange subject ;)

[edit: this reply was adressed to Rain and not Shpongled, sorry about any mix-up]

errr... I don't agree... you talk about "retro goa"... I never even thought of coining that term. For me "oldschool" is a style, it could just as easily be made in 94 as in 2004 or 3094 for that matter... just because the term contains the word "old" doesn't necesarily mean it refers to old music, just at the style that was released in majority a few years back (especially in 1996). As a point of comparison, stuff like Dance 2 Trance - We Came in Peace or KLF - What Time is Love? was released even earlier than "oldschool" but can't be termed as "oldschool". Just "classic" or something like that.

In another chain of thought, considering your "retro" theory, then in a few years one should label what was called around the year 2000 "minimal" as "oldschool" as well just because it bacame a few years old.

Well I guess that in the end it's just a matter of perspective... what do other people think? At least we're luckier that noone thought of coining the term "new style" like in gabber (they coined the term around 1998 but of course the stuff evolved since then, so now they say "new style" to refer to something produced a few years ago thus "old"... someone must think of leaving out the "old" and "new" thing when refering to a certain style IMO, it would save a lot of confusion ;) )

PS sorry if I don't promptly reply to your messages Rain but I don't have an internet connexion at home anymore so I can't visit this forum as often :(

[you talk about "retro goa"... I never even thought of coining that term. For me "oldschool" is a style,

199710[/snapback]

euhm... I've heard from the term retro goa 2-3 years ago at goa party here in belgium at zwalm... the organistation told us to play retro goa...

still I also prefer the name retro goa cause I believe retro is used in all electronic music for older music or style... just like retro acid, retro house...

old skool is more like hip hop and stuff...

but it's not that important... as long as eveybody knows what it means it's ok... :)

aha I notice you're from Belgium... actually I think that the term "retro goa" is specific to our country. There has been a LOT of hype around "retro acid" parties (BTW am I the only one who considers the music played there not to be acid at all?). So I think that organizers of "retro-goa" simply "borrowed" the term after hearing "retro acid" at every street corner... just my opinion though..

anyway, I don't think it all really matters, good music is good music period :)

(BTW am I the only one who considers the music played there not to be acid at all?)

199864[/snapback]

you right about that ... in all the retro acid partys that I have ever done... I've never heard any acid track before playing... It's just the name and that's where it ends B) ...