2. Arda

3. Twister

4. Sismic amplifier

5. Primal objective

6. Frozen waters

7. Trancelucid horizon

8. Nimlies snowparty

9. Tree of life

Definatley one of the most underestimated albums of 2004. This has a lot of nice melodies in it, if you don't listen to it, you're actually missing something. I've heard some people claim it sounded much like older albums by Yahel. Well, it kinda does and doesn't. You see, psy artists are in a very hard position: if they put in some melodies then people praise them and say that they've "added the oldschool touch". However if they put in too MUCH melodies then people criticize them for being too cheezy... Well Blue Vortex is kinof in between. Sometimes I thin "man this is REALLY good, great melodie!!", other times I'd think "he's overdone it, too many cheezy melodies". So I guess it's up to you to find out if this is of your liking or not. Anyway, if you like melodies in your tracks then this one's for you. Kindof reminds me the Space Cat album and also S-Range stuff.

fave tracks: 1, 5 (!!), 6 (!!), 8

Conclusion VERY underestimated album! Very nice melodies reminding oldschool, but sometimes it can get a little too cheezy... Still, if you liked the new Space Cat and the S-Range style, you'll like this one too. Guess only time will tell if this will remain a memorable 04 album or not. 8/10

This is one of my favourite albums this year (and it's from a Swiss project by the way!!). I like it because it has lots of melodies, but not in the israely full-on style. It has some progressive elements but still enougth meldoies going on to suit me ('cause I don't like most of the progressive stuff). I also thought that it reminds me a bit of Yahel's older stuff, but it is a little bit less melodic I think. Anyway, I really think this album stands out from most of the other productions this year. It has really it's own style and I really wonder how this group will evolve in the future.

Great review from Lemmiwinks btw!

• 2 weeks later...

Very intilligent melodic fullon... wel done... just perfect and released right at the time when I needed it most... :)

a pleasure to predict what's next, high level of detail. I like the gentil emotional sounds with a little progressive undertone...

maybe the bassline is a little bit too hard for me... I suprise myself lower down my bass while listening to it at my stereo...

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

i recently bought it too, and i enjoy a lot like you. Personally i put the album in the morning-goa category instead of morning-progressive but who cares the only thing that really matters is that's good melodic morning music from Swiss (which is after being well known for gruyere & emmentaler would become the cradle of morning trance artists :D

i recently bought it too, and i enjoy a lot like you. Personally i put the album in the morning-goa category instead of morning-progressive but who cares the only thing that really matters is that's good melodic morning music from Swiss (which is after being well known for gruyere & emmentaler would become the cradle of morning trance artists :D

197681[/snapback]

héhé, well, let's check it !

• 4 months later...

Well I recently bought this album, finally heard it ... and I'm a big fan of melodies, enjoy old-school melodies, and have LOTS of melodic psytrance, both old school and new.

Although I did enjoy several tracks, many tracks seem a bit too minimal to me, as such there are just not that many melodies. Certain tracks do stand out, but overall I feel as though its quite simple, repetitive, and while its nice sounding, more layers of melodies, more catchy melodies and imagination I feel this album would be even better with. I can see it in that group of 2004 melodic albums such as Yplison 5 and the Pure Planet Comp, but I don't feel as though this is better than those, at least not right now.

Okay look, I was expecting more. Thats all. Something with an edge, more melodies, with more flow, rhythm, more energy, movement, enthusiasm, structure and sounds; layers & development. What I got was a simple, pleasent album with some nice old-school sounding melodies here and there. None of the songs lift me up and impress, and although several songs seem to be well done for what they are, I feel that several tracks seem to be lacking something. During many tracks, it was like ... I was waiting for something to come in and really push up the entire song, I was waiting for a strong leading, catchy melody to appear over the more simple sounds and melodies, which do repeat many times around a simple kick-drum beat; something to really lift off the song and bring it to new heights.

There are few but several songs that stand out as more catchy. I liked these over certain others, and I'll have to listen through this album again to make sure which ones those tracks are, but as of right now, I feel this is a decent, (meaning okay) okay, well more than okay; above average but NOT great and I stress right now to say pretty good... -- I'll just say an above average album that may be worth checking out if you're into old-skool melodies in err.. trance? I'm sorry but this really isn't all that psychedelic or really melodic to me, but it is obviously melodic, and it is more melodic than psychedelic. Hopefully the next release by ... Rumble Pack will have more catchy layers of melodies that come together, with more imagination, things that really stand out as clever and truly catchy and full of idea's ... songs which are more interesting, with less simple and predicatable formula and hopefully more feeling! One thing Yahel's old albums had (and yes, YAHEL's first two albums were very well done) was feelin! There was emotion in certains songs and several of his songs involved very catchy, CATCHY melodies which really new how to work the mind and body, whether for a listener just listening or one dancing to; there was more feeling and imagination to his melodies and music.

Anyway, I'll listen to Blue Vortex a second time. Maybe I'm missing something because some of the same reviewers above I usually agree with when it comes to many albums. Maybe I simply find Yplison 5 and Pure Planet more catchy than this for right now... and so in time (couple days) I may change this post... but if not, well...

Lastly, regarding the comment above about Blue Vortex changing their name to Rumble Pack. Just my 2 cents... I don't see the reason or point calling the group Blue Vortex, as it sounds more like a good name for an actual track title than an actual group. I'm not sue why they chose to change their name to Rumble Pack. I'm just being honest here, but to me Rumble Pack sounds like a pack of fire crackersl; it just sounds silly and weak for a name, unless they release an album that is so crazy and wild, that this name perfectly suits the name, "RUMBLE PACK," like a pack, meaning group, and RUMBLE meaning WILD; songs intent on shaking up the floor... thats just what I think anyway.

A name is the first thing people hear or see usually when they're introduced to a group, and its nice when a group picks a name that symbolizes something about them; telling the listener about the group, image, purpose, vision, characteristic's, etc.. a name; something that really makes an impact and gets your attention. If RUMBLE PACK decides to continue making the same Blue Vortex psytrance style music, I think another name would do it much better justice... On the other hand, if Rumble Pack is more spiced up, involved, developed, aggressive, (hopefully much more catchy) psytrance thats wild, fun, really captivates you with lots of energy and passion, aggression and crazyness, than I think the words, "Rumble Pack" may sound very appropriate. Just some thoughts to consider, thats all. :)

hi jon cocco

as you wrote so much..i want to replay you..hehe

so..conecerning our first album...

i see your points...it lacks sometimes a bit of more layers..more melodies..more psychedlica...true...the prdouction of course isnt always to good..

but just remember..it's our first album...we worked hard..and it was the maximum at this time what we could do...some tracks are 3 years old...

the label wanted to release it..so..

but i think..buying this album you get a album wich is good for home listening in the car..or in the sun..

and looking at the positive coments..it cant be that bad..

so...concerning our new name

we didnt want to change our name...i liked Blue Vortex a lot..

but there where some things we couldnt change..but we wanted to change the label...so ..the only way to do this was aswell to change the name...

the music stays the same..i mean..we dont try to do something else only because we have another name now..

but of course we try to get better...and devlope our style..thats normal i think..

soo..chek it on your own..

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/med/med1cd020.html

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/med/med1cd021.html

our first 3 tracks..on midijum.

and soon more will be out...

so..if you listen to this stuff..i'm interested in you oppinion..

cheers

hi jon cocco

i see your points...it lacks sometimes a bit of more layers..more melodies..more psychedlica...true...the prdouction of course isnt always to good..

i mean..we dont try to do something else only because we have another name now..

but of course we try to get better...and devlope our style..thats normal i think..

so..if you listen to this stuff..i'm interested in you oppinion..

217415[/snapback]

Okay yes, I think one of the key words here is development. Developing your sound, as we all start somewhere. I did hear those three other comp songs and based on the samples, they just sound as unexciting as some of the less stand-out Blue Vortex ones, and I realize they're just samples as I always say but I think some better feedback is this:

In Ypsilon 5, you had old-skool melodies that not only gradually began as one or two, but developed into several, forming and swiming in a fairly deep flow of melodies, and they were catchy; the way they sounded, some of them obviously more than others, but these melodies formed together and developed together.

Yahel had more of those dance floor killers, where amongst all the beats, sounds, voice samples, etc... was and at times, a very catchy tune among the other melodies which really grabbed you and you felt it. Sometimes more melodies came in and stayed in for some time because they were catchy, but the songs felt complete.

Emuna - A classic, underrated, good example of emotional, melodic psytrance. There are feeling in these tracks, even if there is a line of listeners split between those who consider certain melodic emotional psytrance cheesy from those who don't, but there was feeling, the harmonies, tunes, it was like the music was reaching out sometimes and communicating with you as it did with...

The Muses Rapt - An even more successful example I think of whats basically melodic trance / psytrance with more feeling and emotional sounds, if that makes any sense.

If you've heard either of those two albums, you see the point, but my point is this.

Astral Projection , Dimension 5, MFG and Electronic Universe - Now those three groups didn't seem to focus on emotional melodies to the extent of say, Emuna or The Muses Rapt. They focused on great waves of melodies, usually very, VERY catchy and effective for both on and off the dance floor. Sure, certain songs had more "feeling" than others, to each their own of course, but those songs really capitalized on melodies, with leading melodies, minor melodies, and LOTS of change and imagination.

Which brings me to the point. Is Blue Vortex aka your sound which is developing... I would think its not trying to be like any of the examples above, butI feel as though many songs are comprised of more of those minor melodies. Sure, there is a nice fanbase for melodic and old-school lovers, and its important to know whether you're trying to focus on more melodies or less ones, more emotion or less emotion, because Blue Vortex seems to have a bit of both and doesn't really capitalize on either, when comparing to the examples above. I hear several melodic notes dabble in and out, in and out, and I'm just waiting for it to all form together and so I can hear those beautiful layers of melodies. Sometimes it seems to actually develop into a stronger wave before stoppin and lifting off to its full potential, while other times its just several notes, they echo, synthesizer, whatever and than they do it again. If you really want to have strong melodic songs, there needs to be more focus and development on the structure; the tune part where the melodies all come together before branching off into fewer sounds and hopefully adding new creative melodies and bringing that same song into even mroe interesting territory. With Blue Vortex, and with imperfect sound production aside, certain tracks just don't seem to have much to them, as some sounds come and go, its so repetitive sometimes, and than the track ends. But other songs really do show that there is potential, potential to take it further or songs that actually do sound pretty final and complete. I can't ask you to sound like this group or that group, and you probably wouldn't won't too. Everyone is different and I encourage innovation, risks, experimentation, maybe the average old-skool psytrance lover does like your music, but please if you truly care, please focus on why those groups above are so respected and aim to reach the higher areas ... please take the time to make each track very well done, interesting, catchy, and engaging, and if that means good, than please aim to have at least several 3-4 really great killer tracks on your albums and the songs on your comps comps should be great because the better they are, the more they'll stand out against all the other songs from the other groups on it. Catchy is key. Take risks, push bounderies, and develop your style into greatness. Which brings me to your album. I try to articulate the descriptions respectfully, giving feedback and simply being honest.

Blue Vortex - Marage

01. Mirage

This is a pretty good song! I like when the song just stops. Its cool because you're NOT expecting the song to just STOP, then it picks up and its even more catchy. I like that. People like that! I wish there were more unpredictable things like that on this album, not necessarily more stops, just more unexpected, unpredictable areas... because it totally peeks my attention, especially when the song is well done before it happens. Anyway, the bird chirping-like whistle sound is pretty catchy. The melodies are fairly basic but nice, I just wish there were more of them and someting to raise this song up even more, because its a cool song that gets a bit too repetitive. The melodies are nice and this is one of the better tracks on the album.

02. Arda

This track is an example of a song which builds up really nicely! At 4:30 there is the beginning of the a strong, what I call leading melody, one that really stands out, lifts the song up, making it more catchy. At around 5:15 it seems you have simply changed the frequency and it is even more catchy sounding. Now after this ended unfortunately, the song has nothing else and I wish it had more really catchy parts to lift it up again, it simply slows down, I realize the melody has to leave sooner or later but the best part was so short. This track proves that YOU CAN do exactly what this album needs more of I strongly feel. You can make solid, catchy melodies! Please focus your energy on this, and push, push, PUSH ... and further develop this potential. Much of this album seems like filler when those melodies aren't there and the time in-between where there are no big melodies should be more wild, catchy enthusiastic, even before the melodies (leading melody come in).

03. Twister

Well, the build-up right before 5:53, but the actual hit; break, is so weak and just lacking in power and completion when compared to the interesting, if short build up. The break is just so basic and subtle, and could have been much more blasting and grand. Just listen to that. This is the first track that seems too subtle or simple for its own good. Because after that tune at 5:53, the song tampers off and its over at around 7:20. This is exactly why I stress importance of structure, creating that mountain of melodies. How far are you willing to take it? How high, catchy, captivating are you williing to make it? Have you heard the original Pendulum by Four Carry Nuts, or Chi-A.D.'s Exit Eternity? Those tracks are so catchy, melodic, and the structure is simply put, great. I wonder if you guys can pull of tracks like that in your own style while yes I know, not going on for too long and remaining very friendly and catchy. Anyway, I wish Twister twisted more than it did. Every track can be good with lots of focus and more time taken to improve it. An example of a great break is M.W.N.N.'s Own the World. If you aim to impress you will, and although you may have not intended to impress with this track, the only thing it seemed to had going for it that would have really stood out was the lift off, which was like a bird breaking its wing right before take off.. thats just what I felt anyway.

04. Sismic amplifier

Better than track 3. The direction we're talking about is much more clear in this track than in twister, where as in Twister I couldn't tell where it was going, and I like to be surprised, but when it came to the moment to lift off it was so weak souding. This whole track flows better and KEEPS its melodies through-out. Its not great, but it is pretty good and more of a cool kick back to the older days of cool melodies working together to form a "band" of music thats very plesent to listen to. One thing, and I realize you realize this, the production has got to be better so that your sounds aren't hindered in any way; so that your melodies are more "brought-out" in the studio, mixing programs, thus to have more depth and sound more juicy, yes JUICY!, etc.. bring your sounds out more. A decent song, but not as good as...

05. Primal objective

This is a much better song than tracks 3 and 4, and one of the better songs on the album. When its one of the better or best songs, I'll say exactly that. The sounds and melodies suit it really well, giving this song more CHARACTER than say... track 3, 4, ... and thankfully, this song seems to have a better song than it... which is,

06. Frozen Waters

Yes, this is [arguably the best song on the album.] At 3:03 I really feel that this song rocks. Cool psychedelic sounds, the entire song seems so much better than many of the other songs here. Do you not see this? You have gotta see this. The melody at 3:57 about, there is feeling, it IS catchy. I really like this and I'm SURE many listeners will agree with me. The melody carries over and stops around 4:38 but it was very catchy, didn't stay repetitive, and that melody seems to differ from the one around 3:03, and has more feeling still, while a new melody forms around 5:23. Okay, can you please do more involved, psychedelic and melodic tracks, uplifting, upbeat tracks like this but totally different visions; characters of course? This is exactly why I know that with time and passion, you can really make good songs, songs that are not remotely close to being average. Although Frozen Waters ended around 7:00 fading out, I'm glad it ended when it did, as this song felt complete. It was interesting through-out and fun to listen to.

07. Trancelucid horizon

Not a bad song, although not as good as track 5 and 6. The knocking-pop/click echo'd sound adds some nice interesting background sounds. As far as melodies, the first several minutes are just some tunes; notes sustained or not, coming and going. Sounds thrown around the beat. They're there, but they just seem there to be there, nothing more. When the song fades into the only existing, simple, individual melody at around 3:20, there are several brief seconds of intrigue, like where will this go; what will happen now? I think what happens is decent, its just pretty basic and unexciting, thats all. It could have gone more, done more, more melodies, something.... more interesting. When time goes by and I'm quickly osing interest fast, something starts around 5:20, a build up... I like the sample and wish there were just two or three more on this album, (although saying the world has changed is pretty darn general if you'd ask me) it adds character and sounds cool. After that the song does improve, but it lacks something to take it further and really captivate the listener. Its one of those tracks that I think people will say is nice, its plesent, its not bad, but does that mean its really good or great? It could have been better and its one of the better tracks on the album.

08. Nimlies snowparty

I'll have to hear this again. It seeemd to have some really nice, old-skool sounding melodies in it.

09. Tree of Life

A nice chill downtempo track, its cool. Not bad, not great, just simple and pleasent.

In conclusion, this is a well done album. There are some good tracks, some ones that could have been much better or re-invented, improved, or switched out for some better ones I feel, but nothings perfect. The old-skool melodies are really nice. It shows you have potential and I'm looking forward to how your sound and style develops. Just concentrate on these seveal things... for starters.

Imagination. Be imaginative, very, VERY imaginative! Not just imaginative because its obvoius that all your tracks take imagination to make.

Focus - Improve and advance what your good at (melodies for starters) and focus even more on what has the potential to be so much more improved. (lift-off climaxes, more involved, intricate melody work, structure, sounds, and atmosphere.

Time - What you release is final. Its done, basically irriversible unless you pull it which is rare. What people hear from you is how you will be judged. The more time, work, and creativity yu put in, the more people will notice your work. There are no excuses for poor or lacking production sound or other-wise. I feel that the artists who feel they have the talent and creativity, should take the time to make every song really good, great, to its full potential. The artists songs reflect the person. It's the listeners who give feedback, but listen to your hearts and dreams and don't be afraid to take chances, push the limits, make your music more layered or not, (although I really like layers such as AP, D5, Pleadians, Filteria, Cosmosis, Hallucinogen, etc.) its your music.

Passion - It seems that there are always certain tracks that artists feel more strongly about than others. This is normal, as you too probably have tracks you favor over others that you've. If you make a song based on how you feel in the moment, if its a strong feeling, hold that, remember that, try to re-create that feeling; state, and incorporate that into your work. It seems that Emuna and Muses Rapt especially did a great job at capturing those strong emotions and incorpoerating them into the songs. I don't know how emotional or not... you're willing to take your music, but regardless, if you feel passionate about something, go for it and try to accentuate that for the listener. An album with all great tracks can be a most powerful thing, whether dangeriously bad or great, because the extent of how you make your emotions in your imagination is limitless. I think thats why certain artists have such dreamy, deep and powerful tracks... while other artists simply make a track to appeal, make money, sound passable or cool and thats it. I sense certain passion in your work when hearing some of the melodies on this album. Being critical aside, I'm looking forward to eventually hearing the next main album, assuming it will be by Rumble Pack. Good luck!

hi again..

so..i c your points..and it's nice that you think so much about our music..hehe

but what i have to say is...you compare us with Yahel, Astral Projection, Electric Univers..ect...i mean...they are some of the biggest trance acts...

of course we sound much weaker then them...otherwise we would be as known and succesfull like them...but we are not...

so i think..it's ok to say..it sounds a bit like yahel or something like that...but to compare so deep like you do...i think it's not very objectiv

and judging music from 30sec. samples from psyshop isnt neither very objectiv i think...

anyway...thx for your effort and your honest oppinion...

wait what will come in the future....there will be some little surprises belive me..

chek from time to time www.rumble-pack.ch and u'll see

cheers

=Rumble Pack (Blue Vortex),Feb 8 2005, 11:09 AM]

but what i have to say is...you compare us with Yahel, Astral Projection, Electric Univers..ect...i mean...they are some of the biggest trance acts...

of course we sound much weaker then them...otherwise we would be as known and succesfull like them...but we are not...

Hi, I recently updated my last post. Also, the point of me mentioning Astral Projection, Dimention 5, etc, was just a general, good example of groups that capatalized on melodies while still retaining some strong feelings (AP, D5) as opposed groups that have melodies but seem to capitalize on emotion (i.e: Muses Rapt, Emuna) so that was the point of me bringing that up; so see which direction you seem to be going for; moving towards, and I believe its the more melodies over emotion, even though there is always feeling of course.

I realize Blue Vortex is your debut album, and I would not find it right to directly compare you to some of the biggest acts, like Astral Projection. I mean, I could but I think it would be pointless because you are aware where you stand. I just wanted to re-illustriate my intention of mentioning those certain groups above. And yes, hopefully those groups or some of them are models of excellence that one day your music too will become one of the greats! Anythings possible of course.

And yes, I'm aware of the 30 sec samples are overall, not enough time to properly judge, but I can still get a brief impression from a sample, even if its sometimes a poor part in the track to place the secion of the song where the sample has been taken from. I just found them unexciting, with some sounds coming in and out, and maybe those tracks are better or worse, and I realize I'd have to hear the entire song in order to get a full impression. Nonetheless, I would think an artists best songs are on their albums, and I usually avoid comps because many of the other tracks have either been released or don't seem interesting to me. I bought Blue Vortex and heard it in its entirety, almost all the songs twice! With your album, it was only several song samples that really got my attention; certain melodies that sounded very old-skool and catchy, while other sample tracks I just found whatever. I really like old-school melodies in general, so after reading some positive feedback and reviews, I took a chance. Anyway, sometimes a sample will stand out and really grab you, as the original Pendulum song on Four Carry Nuts album (track 7) really did with me; impressing me so much that based on track 1 and 7, I bought the album. Most people get an impression from samples, so if the entire song is really good, its usually easy to see that sweet glmipse in a sample, but sometimes a sample gives little or no justice to the song, and sometimes the song is exactly what the sample suggests, its all relative, it all varies on the song and the listener. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really disagree guys - I dont think the sparce sound of blue vortex is something to be worked on and developed so that its filled with more melodies or something else. The holes in the blue vortex sound make the album really interesting. I really like the way that the melodies operate in the background behind a strong kick drum and bassline. This is what makes the sound exciting and fresh!!!!! - please dont try to change this. I listened to the album with a friend of mine the other week. We are both DJs and often sit through new music and REALLY listen. We were both blown away.

I really hope rumble pack has a similar sound but I fear it will try to sound more polished, more like the stacks of other polished sounds out there. I hope that the insipration to develop the sound comes from places other than the existing psy trance community. Always taking insipration from within the same scene leads to a spiral of inward looking music and a spiral of decline (in my opinion!!)

but hey, I'm just another punter!!

Rob.

• 2 months later...

hello everyone...

thx robbie for your positive coment...

and thx again to jon locco...we really work hard to make it sound better..

only to remeber...we didnt change our name because we wanted to change our music style...so..robbie dont be afraid that we dont continue in the BV "style"...

because what we have done till now as rumble pack...we would have done similar as blue vortex...

anyway...soon new releases are in the pipe line:

rumble pack compilation tracks comming soon:

- The Sliph - Mind Controllers Vol. 2 :: Mind Controll Records

- Rampage - Midijum Rec.

and soon some proggi stuff from our new Project "Natural Flow" will be out soon

- Natural Flow - Flying Toaster // VA:Aerocruz :: Groove Zone Rec.

- Andromeda - Atomnizer (Natural Flow Rmx) // VA:Groove Zone Vol.2 :: Groove Zone Rec.

beside this we've done two tracks together with andromeda...but they're still unsigned...so...there're still some reserves...

so..i hope everybody will like this stuff coming out soon...

looking forward for some constructive reviews from the psynews ppl...

cheers

www.rumble-pack.ch

• 7 years later...

Gmail is introduced to the public.

Photos of prisoners in Abu Ghraib being abused and sexually humiliated are released by media

9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and many other areas around the rim of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people.

But the biggest story of course is we as a people...finally got to see Janet Jackson's boob.

Wardrobe malfunction

And it...it was kinda disappointing.

But while most of those stories will stick out in 2004, I will always remember this album. It was one of the first I can remember buying when my interest in psytrance was just beginning. Swiss duo Philip Guillaume & Andreas Märki released their debut as Blue Vortex (and later changed their name to Rumble Pack due to label issues) and it was very impressive. Full-on? Surely, but there is a delicacy and intelligence behind it. Progressive at times before progressive was the lush melodic tapestry that it is today. There are also some slight goa touches, but only they know if that was intentional. I find it trancey without coming to that ultimately cheesy conclusion. What stands out to me is the layers and merging of one lead into another. Sometimes I feel there are stretches that go on a little long with not a lot happening, but let's not forget that the genre was recently escaping the total darkness of minimal. So any melodies that we were lucky enough to come across at least by me were greeted very warmly.

It's hard to believe that 2004 was almost 9 years ago and that my life is traveling at ludicrous speed. Most people have certain albums that mark important moments in their life and you wouldn't think of getting rid of them. Because I missed out on the wondrous goa age, this album showed me that electronic music could be more than just euphoric climaxes, piano riffs, and wave your hands in the air like you just don't care.

So I think this still holds up as some quality work. Solid effort.

Mdk

• 9 years later...