computer system

high :)

im working with music software for some time, since imulse trkr and

now with buzz, and i have just start working with cubase and vst like reason and rebirth and all the "studio" envirment in cubase, and i relly think this is so cool!

the thing is i really need a better system to run all that software, cause right now

im working on a 333Mhz celeron with a real lame performance, so im gonna

get a new system soon,

i just need to decide which one, anyone have an idea?

i was thinking something like Amd 1.x on a Asus motherboard lots of Ram

lots of HD a cool Vga card, dont know which, and a Real Cool Sound Card

one by Creamware or Emu , something good if i can pay for it...

naaman

hi, speaking of computers, the faster the better, for sure... i think your choice is ok : athlon 1.x are cheap and fast, as asus motherboards have proven high reliability (be sure to pick one with 266mhz fsb for faster memory access). 512 mb of ram is enough imo, but as it's really cheap today, you can pick 1Gb if u want to have space.. with such a system install an OS wich make use of this amount of ram though, such as win2k or XP.

depending if you want to ba gaming a lot, a good video card is an option... i've got a g400 dual head, not very fast in 3d, but the cool point is that i can plug 2screen together, very useful in cubase =)). plus they're cheap now

for the hd's if u make alot of audio you should pick at least 1 SCSI one, it doesn't need to be huge, but fast to work and read your audio files. take a huge IDE one to store all your files.

the audio card is a very important point.. if u won't use a lot of hardware and if u have money, buy a creamware pulsar, they're the best for a softsynth use. if you can't afford it, look for a gina24 or a hoontech dsp, they're cool.

hope this help

ah the eternal mac vs pc's... =D

i don't agree on that point elysum, i'm experienced with g4 at work and they're buggy like pc's, with an horrific multithreading management... the main argument for macintosh was the stability of the system but imo a win2k is maybe even more stable, so now you can rely on pc's.. the only reason i'd want a mac is for the colorfull design, very nice, as my pc is a soulless whitebox... but a system as i was advicing nOn will cost (sound card excluded) less than 1000$.. mac are far more expensives...

sorry i've got nothing against apple but i've never find someone who convinced me that it was a better investment than a pc.. maybe you will ;)

plur

Guest Elysium Project

Well you need to update your knowledge about mac.... have you heard about mac Os X? (10) and now upgraded to the even more stabile Os 10.1.

To my knowledge this new system is far better than the new windows system..

It is run on the most stabile operating system "Linux" and I must say I have had no problems...... I also have a PC containing the most up to date systems so I should know what I am talking about...

Guest Elysium Project

PS! I also recommend Mac for it´s higher stability when you use Logic Audio or Cubase...... On most PCs there can be problems with the tightness of the PBM and also in more rare situations actual skips when the track is running.....

I know mac is a bit more expensive than PCs but compared with the hardware in Macs and PCs I would invest in a Mac..... They are far better suited for the future....... Like USB 2 - CD burning ect... Things that are build into macs... On a PC you most of teh times have to buy this as extra components ...and not that cheap too..

I dont say this because I think that Mac is the on computer in the world or because I hate Pcss...but I have more than 12 years of experience with computers and making music on computers and so far I have deffinently been more happy about macs than PCs when it coems to the music production side....

Guest Elysium Project

PS! I also recommend Mac for it´s higher stability when you use Logic Audio or Cubase...... On most PCs there can be problems with the tightness of the PBM and also in more rare situations actual skips when the track is running.....

I know mac is a bit more expensive than PCs but compared with the hardware in Macs and PCs I would invest in a Mac..... They are far better suited for the future....... Like USB 2 - CD burning ect... Things that are build into macs... On a PC you most of teh times have to buy this as extra components ...and not that cheap too..

I dont say this because I think that Mac is the on computer in the world or because I hate Pcss...but I have more than 12 years of experience with computers and making music on computers and so far I have deffinently been more happy about macs than PCs when it coems to the music production side....

thanx for replin,

i knida got a system im gonna buy, a PC, not mac

AMD 1.4 on Asus board with 200Mhz clock, not 233 cause on round numbers

audio can be better, i have no idea why but someone who knows told me that,

Asus simple Vga card with 32Mb 60Gb 7200rpb real good brand HD and a 512 Ram, and a screen with 1600x1200 rez for Reason n Cubase :)

i was thinkng of getting a Dual Screen Card, cause i got my old screen i can use, so are ther good Dual Cards, same as regular in performance? i don't need it

for gaming or 3d stuff, just for being real smooth on high rezolution.

and the HD, does Scsi HD means an Extrnal HD? i dont think i need one

cause i got my CD Burner and lots of CD-RWs, but what is it good for?

and the sound card, i guess for the mean time i'll stay with my SBLive

till i can buy a Pulsar, cause it is kinda expansive, and well, so does Mac,

guess it is much better platform, Mac, and i really wont one but i guess

i can do that in the future cause it is better to first have a Pc that will do other stuff then just music and then i can get a Mac for more complex Music stuff

and connect to Extrnl Gear, if i'll ever get some of thos... :)

naaman

elysum ->

mac os running with a linux kernel? interresting, as linux is the better os i've tried so far, with no music ware on it it's a shame. that's a great argument for getting a mac, now i'm half convinced, hard to leave the pc world 'cause 11 years with this shitty comps ;)

naaman ->

i don't know if a round number is better for audio, pretty weird..i know my stuff about pc but i'm not a electronic engineer so i could not certify, but imo it has nothing to do with it. if it has i would be very interrested in knowing the reason.

no an scsi doesn't have to be external, u just plug a pci scsi controller on your motherboard and connect it to your internal scsi hd's. very interesting because you can add it to your 4ide channels. so if u got already a cd driver, cd burner, dvd,... you can outpass that limit.

i run my g400 on two 1024*768 screens and it's perfect. don't know with a higher resolution but as my card is 16mb you should get your stuff with 32mb. and matrox chips are very good in 2d, better than geforce ones.

Guest Elysium Project

yantra..

You should use what you want.... I have no problem with that... I just wanted to tell you about the new OS X system...... I think a lot of PC users dont really understand what Mac is all about..... and it is Apple's mistake.... They have failed to convince home users about their strenghts.....

Take Care

nOn, - for an extra coupla $'s, get yourself an extra hard drive to run ure progs off, a 5 - 10 gig one should be really cheap and will make a huge difference in performance.

60 gb should be enough for ure audio files! : )

good luck

ho, you mean, get 2 hard drives, 1 of like 10 GB just for the

software and another 60 GB for the files? and if i make 2 partitions

on one big 60 GB? it'll be the same?

and. i got another qus :)

OperationSystem? i know i should stay with win98Se , is it true?

does the ME and above dont have all the drivers for asio and such?

10x

Although I haven't used all my audio programs in Windows 2000, I would recommend this OS over 98SE. It is much more stable, but as I said, I don't know how compatible. Ask your software vendors.

akindo

Guest CrusadeR

Windows 2000 is the best OS ever published by MS..

I'm using it for over a year, all audio softs work.. like

Cubase, Reason, Reaktor, Pro52.. etc

IT IS EXXTREMLY stable, BUT only if u have VERY HI Q hardware, i reccomend Intel.. i know tha amd is as fast as intel and it costs much less, but intel is intel.

Ofcourse a GOOOD tower is very important because bad towers have shitty power filters and u hear on profy soundcards strange noises when your HD is active..

cool, i was thinking win 2000 have some problems with audio drivers, but i'll check it out,

about the tower, is that means i need to get one with 300W power supply or something? or should i get a quiet tower?

• 6 years later...

* BUMP *

:D

Ok, I have used PCs and Macs at work (not for music), and I find both more or less the same (same excellent stability, same performance). I see for the same price that PCs can have much better performance, and that PCs have more software available. Could some one tell me why buying a Mac? I've got nothing against it, I just would like to know :)

Also, at what point is performance important for music authoring? I remember in the 90's when I made music, I had an old Pentium 133 with 32MB of RAM and I didn't have any performance problem with Cubase. Maybe things have changed though. What do you think?

People get macs because they come as a huge package with lots of ready to use software - so you can get down and dirty doing things on the computer rather than having to set things up yourself. You trade off freedom for immediate use - its really a computer for people who want the easy way into doing productivity stuff on their computer. PCs offer more performance and options and flexibility always - provided you are there to set it up that way.

Today basically your CPU is the only limiting factor in what you can do in the studio with virtual sound - the more performance headroom you have the more things you can have going on at the same time before the CPU maxes out and the sound gets choppy and can no longer be worked with in real time.

People buy macs because it's hyped. Same reason why they but ipod and iphones etc.

ummm no, they buy it cause they want to use Logic Audio or any other Audio/Video application that does not exist for PC. But of course, its useless discussing, cause PC people will never agree with MAC people and people who like Linux will hate both... now THAT is silly. I love all of it, I am a computer freak, I like new things, no matter brand, os or whatever :)

i though macs were for women, with all there shiny looks and different colours...

pc's are for men. just like cars you can take em appart. change the carburator into a 2 gb working horse. etc ;)

Windows: VolksWagen

Linux: Mercedes

OSX: Jaguar ( :lol: )

They buy a mac just to get logic? Well why do they get logic - because everything is already setup for them. IMO its a waste of money to spend a grand total of 1100 just for logic, and moreso when you lock yourself out of most other software out there. I'm on PC because I built this rig myself 4 years ago for $500 and its still a very strong computer, which for production allows me a wide pallette of options that I can pick for myself, rather than having cookie cutter bundles included as "productivity software" which a mac does :)

Thats the difference from PC to mac, from Mac to PC they just hate windows and think everyone who uses a PC and says its as easy as a mac are elitist pricks.

If you don't use a Mac to make music, you are not a man.

I dunno man, I've seen some logic producers and they are quite womanly imo :lol:

Joking ofcourse, but are you serious?? If you wanna talk like that macs are nothing but metrosexual ego boosters - pride in not conforming and "not owning a PC" Like okay as nemo says it doesn't matter at all they both are legit computers, just mac users really feel like they need to put it into their lifestyle and proclaim how much better a mac is and then get upset about it when a PC user tells them thats bullshit just invest a weekend of your time to set up your PC properly and customize it

But of course, its useless discussing, cause PC people will never agree with MAC people...

I don't agree. ;)

i though macs were for women, with all there shiny looks and different colours...

If you wanna talk like that macs are nothing but metrosexual ego boosters

To sum up: Women, hipsters with Arcade Fire on their iPods, and Logic users. :lol:

I switched to mac back in 2001 and it was the single most sensible decision I ever made. I recently got a MacBook Pro which is the most sexy technology one can find.

Yes, I buy mac to be able to use logic, but also for the stability, reliability, ease of use, and paowarh!

- I've heard a lot of "My PC never crashes". For me, every time I sit at a PC, it crashes, destroys my data, locks up for indefinete periods of time, deny me to do what I want, due to virus paranoia, spyware, and all that sort. I do realize, that part of the reason PCs act up on me, is because I use them "wrong".

- I can't figure out how to use a PC. I believe I think so, because I'm used to never thinking "what happened?!? How the f.... do I...". I use a PC at work for developing, but that's it. I am sooo fed up with it.

- A mac is faster, because when the operating system is programmed, it actually involves people *thinking*. It is my strong belief that Windows is made by programmers, not computer scientists.

I seriously disagree, when people say I trade options for accesibility. Case in point: A really cool thing about my new mac is that I can program AudioUnits so incredibly easy. I have an idea - one hour later, I have a plugin up and running. That leaves me with endless posibilities, that I wouldn't dream of trying to achieve on a PC. It's just not worth it, when it is so easy on mac. No trade off there. Sure, I can't use some other bedroom-programmer's flimsy plugins. No bigie.

When it comes to tweaking the machine... Yes, the PC enthusiasts are right, I don't have many options in this area. It doesn't bother me though, because I never ever saw the need to tweak anything.

Well, this turned out a bit more PC bashing than I expected. Sorry about that - I really think it comes down to finding the computer that fits *you*. A mac fits me, and PCs don't. If you call mac a "woman's computer", fine. In general I trust women a lot more than the next guy :)

- A