Jump to content

The Psynews Track?? (second try)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop that, that's just silly. you're most certainly a Real producer and a fine one at that. 

he just spams his ads on the forum.

YES there is the plan to revive the contest - I was busy with the rules till recently ... will see, maybe we can launch this... Huh, it worked for me ... I just copypasted the link text. Browse

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Will you be making the kick and the bass? Maybe make these first and then  tell us the key and the exact bpm?

I used Veracohrs file but all drums/percs are in the same track (in his file), if I get them to 3 seperate ones, I use it as it is - with some changes.

Bass I use his one and also made another one with 1 of the lines being modulated/filtered the other being the more static one.. man Goa/Psy music for sure can be better made with hardware, just edit on the fly and record. I find it more difficult with software to get "moving/living" sounds...I have 2 HW synths but not connected/stored away..

Your example is good enough I guess, why not make it longer and use it as PSYNEWS EP track. Ofc the problem is time, right?

PEOPLE can now vote on BPM like I said above, but ALSO vote for what speech sample you like ! I have a whole bunch, but not typical "goa" speech, or does anyone like Pearl Harbour under attack or Hitler or Taxi Driver movie in a PSYNEWS song ?:huh: Btw. in case of Hitler and PH both the speakers are dead now, is there still copyright on them :ph34r:? Other samples I remember to have, Apocalypse Now,2-3 xCNN news, 4-5x diverse horror/B-movies...these famous films might be problematic with copyright I guess...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

Ofc the problem is time, right?

Yep :) Also I don't really make goa, I'm more into proggy/full-on style.

Iirc I made that mini-track just to test the Diva sofware synth (it's all Diva except the drums). I don't think I ever going to put more effort into this track but I don't mind giving away the synth parts if someone wants to use them somewhere.

 

I typcially start any track with making the kick/bass combo and when I add the first lead synth into the project I already know what will be the key and the bpm. But it's just me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Yep :) Also I don't really make goa, I'm more into proggy/full-on style.

I typcially start any track with making the kick/bass combo and when I add the first lead synth into the project I already know what will be the key and the bpm. But it's just me.

 

Prog/F.O. is part of the psynews world too. There is no law that it needs to be goa or "darkpsy" whatever. Until the admins say there is a law :)
I am not very organized like you tbh. I do not know at the beginning at all how a track would sound. But I also have no genre - guess there are 5-6 genres in which my tracks could count.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

I am not very organized like you tbh. I do not know at the beginning at all how a track would sound. But I also have no genre - guess there are 5-6 genres in which my tracks could count.. 

When you make "modern" psy, it's much easier to make leads when you already kick/bass/drums. Making kick/bass/drums when you already have leads is a total nightmare. Been there, done that.

 

In case of more freeform music I think it doesn't really matter, you may start with a cowbell or whatever. 

 

For this track let's say G Minor (or G Phrygian), 138 bpm. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Votings so far (will make an average of all votes)

130, MM
138, RL

I just keep the 130 for now and post a snippet some day.
One can make a mix with the later agreed on BPM if more votes.
Or if someone has a cool sample idea... I guess the drugs and consqiousness related samples are quite boring/stylistic these days, so perhaps come up with something different but still fitting the genre(s)?? And not to well known and not "stolen" from other songs.

 

@recursion loop: Can you provide your melody at 130 for now - only if you think it works at that tempo or must be faster - like you wish :) Or whatever you like to include. For others the same of course...remember only if you have fun with it, should not be seen as "work" :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

Can you provide your melody at 130 for now

What melody? From that track, or something else?

 

I think that track was much faster than 130, and it probably won't sound good if slowed down. I can make some new melodies for 130 bpm

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, recursion loop said:

I think that track was much faster than 130, and it probably won't sound good is slowed down. I can make some new melodies for 130 bpm

Yeah eg. 2 thingies for 130 would be enough (if you have the time), but keep the 138 "on reserve" for a possible faster mix later. If other people come in too perhaps, it could be enough for 2 tracks actually (130+138):

EDIT, YUP 130 is too slow I noted now...!
Also it is not "oldschool goa" -  Vera´s "acid line" and some sound effects however should be compatible to the genre. As a noob in genres I would say some crossover Techno-Psy..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Multi-Media said:

Download worked, also importing it..
But have a question is there an easy way to make 3 seperate tracks from the drumtrack, this one contains all drums and percs in your file. I did this the same years ago, but using 3 seperate tracks for eg. kick, snare and "higher up stuff" is way easier to EQ etc. I could ofc just copy the notes to a new track but is a bit too fiddly and time consuming...

 

Time consuming huh...all right, here you go:

 

http://www.veracohr.com/Psynews_Track_V.mid

 

I had it at 138 BPM, and in my software the tempo is in the MIDI file. Is that not the case for other people? Obviously that's the tempo I thought sounded best for it, but anyone can try it in any tempo to see how it works.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Veracohr said:

I had it at 138 BPM, and in my software the tempo is in the MIDI file. Is that not the case for other people? Obviously that's the tempo I thought sounded best for it, but anyone can try it in any tempo to see how it works.

Great thanks, I already noted that slow 130 did not work for your midi..:) See post above...
I do not know how to find the tempo in midi files :wacko: Guess it was in the text document, too lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean the tempo is embedded in the .mid file. When I open that file, the tempo is set automatically to 138. I suppose it’s possible that my software (Digital Performer) embeds that detail in a way other software doesn’t recognize.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Veracohr said:

I mean the tempo is embedded in the .mid file. When I open that file, the tempo is set automatically to 138. I suppose it’s possible that my software (Digital Performer) embeds that detail in a way other software doesn’t recognize.

Googled Digital Performer and gosh from the looks of it, seems they took some "logical" hints. Seems not bad!

In this review here: https://www.amazona.de/test-motu-digital-performer-10-digital-audio-workstation/


I found what it is that your tempo gets set automaticly:

"Der Digital Performer 10 hat nun auch eine verbesserte Beat-Erkennung („Beat Detection 2.0“) und ein richtig gutes Stretching-Tool bekommen, die beide Hand in Hand arbeiten. Hat man die automatische Beaterkennung für Tracks aktiviert (was Voraussetzung ist), lassen sich diese über das Stretch-Menü recht zuverlässig an das Sequenzertempo anpassen – auch in Echtzeit, also im laufenden Betrieb. "

My old Logic should be able to do this at least with Audio files, for Midi I need to try. But it is more complicated not automatic.

Sorry for the confusion I caused with the BPM also to Recursion who said 138 already correctly :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, Veracohr said:

Here's something I started several years ago and never got anywhere with. I don't know if there's anything worthwhile there but it's the best offering I have right now.

 

The linked ZIP file has a standard MIDI file, a WAV file of the audio below, a WAV file with one of the tracks that isn't in the MIDI file, and a text file.

 

http://www.veracohr.com/Psynews_Track_(Veracohr_Basic).mp3

 

http://www.veracohr.com/Psynews_Track_(Veracohr_Basic).zip

So  are we working with this track?

 

Okay, that would be 138 bpm E minor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Multi-Media said:

Googled Digital Performer and gosh from the looks of it, seems they took some "logical" hints. Seems not bad!

In this review here: https://www.amazona.de/test-motu-digital-performer-10-digital-audio-workstation/


I found what it is that your tempo gets set automaticly:

"Der Digital Performer 10 hat nun auch eine verbesserte Beat-Erkennung („Beat Detection 2.0“) und ein richtig gutes Stretching-Tool bekommen, die beide Hand in Hand arbeiten. Hat man die automatische Beaterkennung für Tracks aktiviert (was Voraussetzung ist), lassen sich diese über das Stretch-Menü recht zuverlässig an das Sequenzertempo anpassen – auch in Echtzeit, also im laufenden Betrieb. "

My old Logic should be able to do this at least with Audio files, for Midi I need to try. But it is more complicated not automatic.

Sorry for the confusion I caused with the BPM also to Recursion who said 138 already correctly :)

 

Beat detection is specifically for audio. MIDI files contain tempo info, but of course I’m opening it with the same software I created it with, so no surprise that it just works for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, Veracohr said:

Beat detection is specifically for audio. MIDI files contain tempo info, but of course I’m opening it with the same software I created it with, so no surprise that it just works for me.

Well your new midi (thanks!) can be opened directly with my DAW by "right click/open with" and voila now also the 138 is set automaticly. 
I started over with your 2nd midi, as the 1st try as said already seems more in the indus/dark techno direction which is not the forums main topic, so hardly could be a "Psynews Track". There was also not much left from your midi..

This one should sound a bit more goa.... as no one voted for a sample I already found one (drug related, it does not promote drugs ofc), now only need time and muse to complete the song :) 

Still time for everyone who wants to contribute something ...you can use either the 138 or 135 - possibly 2 mixes can be made, one long and a shorter with slightly different bpm

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...