I love it when computers get it the way of me making music

Don't you love the never-ending cycle of computer hardware and software updates?

About a year ago I got a new computer which rendered both my old audio interface and my old UAD card useless, so I got a Universal Audio Apollo which has UAD embedded. Yay! Except then I couldn't very easily use the UAD plugins in Ableton Live 7 because the GUI's wouldn't show up, only Live's native controls for plugins. No matter, I thought, I only use Live for part of my process anyway. I use Digital Performer for the last part including mixing, which is where the UAD plugins really come in handy.

Still, not having those available in Live bugged me, so I finally just recently paid for the update to Live 9. But of course that meant that my Absynth 4 and Pro-53 no longer worked because they're 32-bit plugins and Live 9 is 64 bit.

Score one for Digital Performer, which can use 32-bit and 64-bit plugins at the same time!

So now I'm paying for an upgrade to Absynth 5 and accepting the fact that I can't use Pro-53 anymore within Live. I guess that's OK, I can do pretty much the same sounds in Massive. But unfortunately my creative process has been interrupted by the need to first search for the issue, and now to download 2.27GB of Absynth 5 over my slow internet connection.

This shit never ends does it? Totally makes me want to go all-hardware.

• Like 1

Why uprgading if you have had everything working fine?

I use a bunch of SW synths and effects and a Virus TI, everything workds like charm, nothing needs to be upgraded of fixed. My DAW is Studio One 2.6 (the lastest release is 3.smth but it is reported to be buggy so I don't care about it) running on Win 7.

I just power it all up and make music ;) (when I have time for this - unfortunately it doesn't happen too often)

I upgraded the computer because my old one was 8 years old and the battery could barely last half an hour and I kept having to replace a fan. I guess I didn't particularly need to update Live but I did anyway.

i dread the day i'll have to upgrade to logic 10. quite a few of the plugins i use are 32 bit (especially old but useful freeware like smexoscope, ...) and an update would drop support.

knowing the abundance of compatibility problems i encountered when upgrading to logic 8, i decided to keep updates to the bare minimum required to keep the system running and functioning.

Yeah, Apple is notorious for breaking backwards compatibility. No such problems in PC land, though. The only big drama was when major DAWs went 64 bit and the plugin devs had to catch up. Still, all Win DAWs come in 32 bit and 64 bit editions and most of them have a bridge.

...for now. :P I wonder how long it will last.

I'd love to upgrade to Pro Tools 11 (still got a free setup), but it's a 64bit program. But as long as my 8 year old pc can send midi I don't think I'll spend money on a new one. ^^