Share your shit!

Share your shit. If you sit on something good, give! Don't lock up potential in your own private stash of swag, if the world could benefit from it. The cost of uploading a file is sooo infinitely close to zero, and the joy of a nice juicy sample is priceless.

A producer and friend of mine (NASA, shoutout done!) recently told me, that he asked one of the big accomplished artists for the Hallucinogen signature hihat. The reply was: "it's a very rare sample". And nothing else.

Well, no more. Enough of that! Lets make it un-rare:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15984873/ShareYourShit/RareHats.aif

Got something digital and rare?

- A

What's the signature hihat you speak of? Is it the one that simply sounds like it's been run through the a MS-20 filter? It's not hard to replicate. And seriously, it's just a hihat. lol. The term "signature hihat" is hilarious.

I sampled the sound of my juicer because I noticed it had a definite tone and I thought I could put it in a sampler and play a melody with it. It didn't work out too well, but that would probably be a rare sample! :D

What's the signature hihat you speak of?

The first one.

I sampled the sound of my juicer because I noticed it had a definite tone and I thought I could put it in a sampler and play a melody with it. It didn't work out too well, but that would probably be a rare sample! :D

Indeed - I did the same with one of those whistles on a boiler. It made a pretty good pad, but mono...

i've sampled my dishwasher and put it into a track :)

https://soundcloud.com/kontrolphreak/raferi-express-your-mind-clip

Something I'm working on. It's just a 2:20 min clip. But it's quite nice. Some full on mixed with some nu-disco/synthpop.

The rest of my channel has a mix of industrial, psytrance, and hardstyle. So follow me if you wish :)

Fun - I like getting weird stuff from weird sources. I once waited 30 minutes by a big road for a truck to come by. I had a tascam stereo recorder with me, and actually got a pretty good sample - after some processing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15984873/ShareYourShit/PassingTraffic.aif

• Like 1

Fun - I like getting weird stuff from weird sources. I once waited 30 minutes by a big road for a truck to come by. I had a tascam stereo recorder with me, and actually got a pretty good sample - after some processing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15984873/ShareYourShit/PassingTraffic.aif

that's a nice one. more like a spaceship taking off if you let your mind wander ;). i can think of a few applications for that sample...

i take it the samples we share here are CC0?

sadly, due to my very limited equipment, my dishwasher was recorded with my macbook's internal microphone :ph34r: .

what i really miss is the dishwasher from my last apartment. that one made some incredible techno percussion from time to time ;)

i take it the samples we share here are CC0?

sadly, due to my very limited equipment, my dishwasher was recorded with my macbook's internal microphone :ph34r: .

what i really miss is the dishwasher from my last apartment. that one made some incredible techno percussion from time to time ;)

CCO? If that means no-strings-attached, cleared for take off, then hell yeah - grab it and go! :)

Dishwashers can be really good. I have a large dinnerplate that makes my dishwasher go "ka-plunk-tchii-ka-plunk". That could work...

- A

I have some 16 hours of random recordings from here and there in India. Too bad the Zoom H1 was a piece of shit (a "handheld" recorder you can't even hold in your hand unless you want shitloads of plasticy handling sounds on your recordings too...) so quite a significant part of the recordings are somewhat ruined.

And I really have no idea what to do with the sounds. Maybe I should edit out the garbage and put them up on Freesound or something but I'm not sure I have the motivation to do that.

Meh.

Taking a break from the craziness in life for this post. Anyway yeah when I lived in the city center here I always used to give some spare money to this homeless bloke. He never spoke except to whisper a thanks & his begging style was very shy n' unobtrusive unlike many others. A few years back I asked to interview him for a community radio show I was doing on homeless ppl. I took him for lunch in a park, he had many problems from mental health to abuse as a child but he said some wonderful things about the beauty and magic of life as well.

I got his permission and used to use those parts in my house/breaks/Chillout/IDM dj sets for segues that didn't mix well otherwise. I also got him in touch with a good psychologist friend who saw him for about a year weekly for free. Not sure what happened to him in the end as he disappeared but best sampling I had. Out of respect when I lost contact I don't use the samples anymore.

Sampling live sources of sound for me is very fun but also tidying it up even on solid equipment gets tiring & frustrating so now if I can find an already mastered sample that I have in mind I just buy it or the pack. The Omnisphere program I've used at a friends place is a pretty amazing vsti for strange and experimental sounds. IMO though no software is worth $500 unless it's a pack of some kind.

Wonderful story, thanks! Let's just believe that life panned out well for him :)

Recording and tidying takes a while, yes - I only have something like 6 hours a week in the studio, so outside-the-box stuff is at a minimum... Sadly.