Music of my dreams (literally)

Blair Thaumic

Has anyone ever dreamt of a psy album/track, and been disappointed upon waking up to find it doesn't really exist?

I've had it happen to me a few times. This morning, I had a dream that I was in my old comic book store, the one that shut down fifteen years ago. There was a wall of second hand CDs behind the cash register, with about five or six long, wood paneled shelves full of music. I asked the guy at the counter if I could check them out, and he said ok and handed me a step ladder so I could reach the higher shelves. All the CDs were electronic music... I found some things that were familiar (three copies of 'Made On Earth'), and some that weren't (an ambient trance compilation called 'Techno Taoism'). Then I found something that amazed me. Space Tribe - The Third Oscillation.

Apparently Olli had written an album in 1998 between The Ultraviolet Catastrophe and The Future's Right Now, and it was all ready to go when Spirit Zone decided not to release it, so only a few copies had been made. The never-officially-released promo I was holding came in a nice looking digipack, with artwork of a UFO landing on a grass covered hill at night; the picture was curved, like it had been shot through a fish eye lens, and the title was curved as well. Looking at the back (where the track titles and BPM had been written, in typical Spirit Zone style), the whole album seemed to be influenced by Celtic Paganism, and had a more 'earthy' and 'organic' theme that I expected would carry into the music. Something like Space Tribe's tweakiness mixed with the Megadog sound.

Of course I woke up before I could take it home and hear it :P Isn't that always the case...

I had a dream once, over ten years ago. I think it was one of those, where I was at a random arcade hall (had a few of those in my life) and I decided to play a racing game, the kind where you sit in a simplified physical cockpit of a car, in front of a screen. I started playing this game and it was as if I was actually inside the game and the (non-circular) track had different sections, in themes of different colours and a soundtrack each, _perfectly_ fitting the colour/section. There probably were about 5 to 7 of such sections. It was very impressive. Years later I heard Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene for the first time, at a friends place and had to think about this dream again. ...When I was about 17 years old I actually managed to teach myself lucid dreaming (worked a handful of times), but I've been very out of touch with my dreams lately. I've been hardly remembering any of my dreams after waking up for at least the last year, if not longer.

All the time although most of the times is in the threshold between sleep and awake. In that case it's really interesting because I'm semi-conscious and I can change the music myself. Unfortunately it lasts only for a couple of seconds.

Needless to say it's the best music ever.

I sometimes have dreams where I found somebody to possess unreleased goa lol. :) Then he copies the stuff to me, I'm going home to play it aaaand.... alarm clock.

I've seen hundreds of dreams where I find a shop filled with goa/psy and spend a fortune.

A few weeks ago I was dreaming that Pearl Jam came to Athens for a 2nd time and the PA company that I work for were responsible for the production so I was backstage all night.

This is not TOO far-fetched for 2 reasons:

1) Pearl Jam got back together and are touring with a new album, so they might pass by Europe come Summer/Autumn!

2) We are a big PA company so it's a project we could handle!

I was telling the guys here but they weren't particularly excited, they prefer Greep Pop Music (bliaaaachhh!!!)

Music keeps popping up in my dreams on a semi-constant basis. Most recently, last night in my dream I was fiddling around with a guitar and an amp, and perhaps some kind of band was involved but the details are a bit hazy (as usually with dreams). And I've also made lots of kickass tracks in my dreams, only to forget them the instant I wake up :(

When I was a kid, I had a couple of dreams in which I had some Erasure records that didn't exist. I don't remember listening to them, but they were two or three EPs with four tracks on each. Being a kid, I had a hard time separating the dreams from reality, and I actually went looking through the entire house to find one of the non-existing EPs. I was completely sure it existed, but obviously never found it, and has since convinced myself that they were never there...

So yeah - well, not so much psy, but the principle applies :)

- A