Are you fond of horror movies?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you fond of horror movies?

• Yes
    • So-so
    • No
    • No idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWZKDCAbEts

One of the best recent horror-movies I've seen, is the French masterpiece Martyrs from 2008

yea scared the crap out of me too!! i could sit through the last scene of [rec] but had to switch off this one to get a breather.

The first one is not unlike those two, but the comedy-element is heavily toned down. It's quite a bit darker.

That's what I heard. The comedy element is my favourite bit, so I don't feel any need to check out the first one.

IMO all Evil Dead are awesome. The best one is 2, because it mixes perfectly horror with comedy. Plus it features some of the most amazing camera work I've seen in a film. The first one is the scariest, while Army Of Darkness is pure comedy gold.

I think the remake was extremelly well done. I though it was gonna suck like all of the horror remakes, but it was surprisingly fun (with non cgi gore as well).

BTW a sequel is coming and Ash will return (probably in a smaller role).

Groovy!!!

I also watched Paranormal Activity 4. I love the hidden footage genre and I loved the first one. Unfortunately when you get one sequel per year the franchise is destined to suck (hello Saw). The second one was good IMO, the third one was mediocre, but the fourth one... What a crap! Avoid. And a fifth one is coming next year. Come on Hollywood, stop it!

I also watched Paranormal Activity 4. I love the hidden footage genre and I loved the first one. Unfortunately when you get one sequel per year the franchise is destined to suck (hello Saw). The second one was good IMO, the third one was mediocre, but the fourth one... What a crap! Avoid. And a fifth one is coming next year. Come on Hollywood, stop it!

I agree. The first one scared the crap out of me and the girl I was watching it with. I was almost chocked how scared I was :) It goes downhill from that exactly as you said.

Yeah I've watched it. Unfortunately without subtitles so I didn't know what's going on. But still it's INSANE. I found it after watching the killer lamp scene in youtube and it turned out the whole movie is a mindfuck. I love Japan.

Should be easy to find with subs these days as both Eureka and Criterion has released it on DVD/BD. If you liked it you should definitely look into some of the old supernatural Hong Kong horror films made by the Shaw Brothers studio. They have a similar psychedelic feel to them with colored lighting and weird special effects.

the horror genre is poor taste. its all the same. Same music, same camera shots, same scare tactics... etc...

That's a pretty single-minded (mildly put) view of a genre that spans more than a million films. You'd have to be both deaf, dumb and blind to claim something like Martyrs is exactly the same as Dario Argento's old classics. Just sayin'...