Date: July, 2013

1. The Amplitude

2. Spiritual War

3. Mentally Exhausting

4. Atomic Cocktail

Some men name their penis.

dkAQBGh.gif

Oh God, it's gonna be one of those.

The male mind really isn't that convoluted. You love a pet, you name it. Your penis has been with you since day one (in most cases) so there's obviously some attachment there. Why wouldn't you name it? So to those chicks constantly complaining that they don't understand men, well...you're either f*cking stupid or not really trying that hard. Ever seen how twisted a woman's mind can be?

"Honey, does this make me look fat?"

Tread carefully intrepid explorer. The answer is there is no answer. Sure there's the truth (you already have a fat ass and no matter what color or pattern you put on it it will still be fat), but she clearly doesn't want to hear the truth. But she also doesn't want you to say no because she knows she has a fat ass and if you say no you're a f*cking liar and her mother was right about you.

But I'm off topic. Some men name their penis.

Javi is Jonas Merelbeke from Belgium and he was part of the Aural Exciter EP as well as making an appearance on fabulous compilations like The Call of Goa and Blacklight Moments. Has anyone ever met Sko0ma? Does he even exist? I'm not saying Sko0ma is the name Jonas gave to his little man, but I'm not not saying it. (Yes I know his name is Stefan Merelbeke, just having a little fun with the low profile of Sko0ma. Geez lighten up will ya? You're not the boss of me.)

Point is these two are brothers and are always together. They've done some fine work and I'm looking forward to what they lay down on this 4 track EP.

The Amplitude has an extended intro which I love as the bubbling and electric hum vibrate. Sounds coalesce in a slightly discordant melody. The numerous mini breaks give it the opportunity to regenerate. But instead of a single tail it sprouts several multi-colored ones.

Spiritual War- R2! Sounds like him anyway. This one is in a constant state of evolution. Slamming goa phrases one minute and churning interlude moments the next. It's melodies sound more "trance" like, but never does it stray into commercial territory. Not my favorite.

Mentally Exhausting is probably the most belting track of them all. Growling from the outset it has a screeching 303 that quickly morphs and gets filtered. Then the layering begins. Buckle up!

Atomic Cocktail also has a 303 that will sear the skin if you try and grab it. It's relentless pace sees quality layering of melodies. These last two are my favorite. He believes that every healthy person should try LSD...might be on to something.

This is a very good EP that shows the talent of this duo. Not your everyday goa trance. Pure power surely, but more than that. They definitely should be on your radar if they weren't before.

Amazon

iTunes

Juno Records

Picture of a very large penis

(Why would you click on that last link?)

Mdk

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely a fantastic presentation of a new more psychedelic type goa. The sounds can be fluffy but the melodies and atmosphere lean darker, trippier. And the melodies, oh man the melodies, theyre SO good. That Amplidude climax, pleiadian stuff, anyone? But you could have gone even further! And then the groove that especially Spiritual War has, I love that!

The suggestions I can give are the progression and pace get to be a little on the repetitious side. You have all these great elements but the tracks lack some of that story. The complexities of the melodies and ideas get lost in the simplicity of the over-arcing structure if that makes any sense. Regardless, I loved this EP and it's unique take on modern goa. Keep at it, guys!!!

Also on a side note the powerful acid lines could have more contrast to the other layers(?).