Periods of abstention, times of distance

Guest D N H

Guest D N H

Has there been any period in which you refrained from listening to trance vibes? Of course not for an inconsiderable period of time.

Do you find yourself distant from psy/goa trance music for time to time?

Maybe only just as a general music abstention?

Abstinence or temperance? Some kind of mind cleaning or rest? Moments of detachment?

Any other reasons perhaps?

pictures_nfld_f76t3370.jpg

Yes, it has deinfately happened to me but not for too long. Usually during a heavy depression. Any other smaller amount of times, I just wouldn't feel compelled to listen to cds or DI.FM.

Bands I found to enjoy out of the genre were The Shapes and Solea. Recently Mogwai but this year I have been more into digging through the psychedelic history like when I first got hooked. The tidal wave has been in full effect for me and getting stronger. ^_-

edit: some of the times in the past were when I was also feeling fatigued with the music from not liking what I was hearing. 06/07 the cheese psy was in full force. other times had the darkpsy being too same-y and boring. it still can be. or just crazy psycore. no thanks! The way music distribution has lots of artists releasing when they want and some only digitally now, I wonder if we'll ever see another golden age like the 03/04 (and 05) window.

Sometimes there are weeks where I listen to Goa less, but at those times I listen to other electronic psychedelic music like psybient or psy-chill... The music has become much more than music for me, probably my only healthy (physically at least, not financially :P) addiction :D Although I wouldn't call it an addiction anymore, but an energy-scource. This might sound cliche, as it's approaching that 'Goa is a way of life'-thing, but I can only say it really works for me... I haven't been listening to any other music not related to the psytrance-tree in the past 4 years with the exception of a small dose of classical/jazz/electro swing and I don't see myself growing tired of it any time soon either.

Sometimes in the past I felt distant, not for long at all, for some weeks only at a time. I would listen to Pop music and or look for ambient and metal like Rammstein. I am always looking for psytrance like old GMS but it is very hard to find so when I stop listening goa for some time often GMS plays. I do listen to classical and love it, Mozard, Wagner, Bach, they are all superb imo.

Yes and only by choice. Sometimes I will occasionally feel a huge disconnect with my friends that aren't in the psy scene and will just "have a break" from trance and electronic music altogether and return to listening to other genres I love. Eg psych rock :)

It's good for me to have these breaks or mix up my listening so as to not entirely lose touch with the "normal" music some of my best friends and I love. Goa and psy are such a huge part of my life I have occasionally forgotten about other parts I love in the process!

it's good for me to have these breaks or mix up my listening so as to not entirely lose touch with the "normal" music some of my best friends and I love. Goa and psy are such a huge part of my life I have occasionally forgotten about other parts I love in the process!

I know exactly what you mean! Most of my friends don't listen to psytrance, so when I'm with them we listen to grunge and other kinds of rock mostly. Sometimes I listen to stuff like Tool or alice in chains as well, but other kinds of music generally don't give me what psytrance gives me. I find this very hard to explain to other people. It's not that I dislike other genre's (well, at least not all of them :D)...

I feel that some classical is the most related to true goa.

I know exactly what you mean! Most of my friends don't listen to psytrance, so when I'm with them we listen to grunge and other kinds of rock mostly. Sometimes I listen to stuff like Tool or alice in chains as well, but other kinds of music generally don't give me what psytrance gives me. I find this very hard to explain to other people. It's not that I dislike other genre's (well, at least not all of them :D)...

I feel that some classical is the most related to true goa.

word

for me, music never divided me from my friends. Instead that is just our schedules and now our age with jobs and school getting in the way. I have a unique group of friends with a close knit many do not have. You would think we're all inner-dating cuz we can just act that close to one another and never have a question get thrown about it. Siblings connected through soul. Anywho, I was just the different one that listened to this weird music but they appreciated it and thought "yup, thats K-BAN" (Im the wacky insane of the bunch) 8)

For me, it's necessary to recapture the feeling. When I started listening to psytrance I had just a handful of CDs, some of which I had to special order as they weren't carried in shops. The Internet was also new and not yet available in my house, so I had to leave home and go to a record store, magazine store, or a place with computer demos just to do any research on what music was out there. Everything I could get my hands on was so new and amazing, completely alien music. Now that I have a huge collection and limitless music to listen to on the Internet, I find my passion dwindling, so I have to leave psytrance every so often just to remember what it felt like getting into it.

Ozric Tentacles and FSOL are my favorite acts, and the ones I return to the most psy or non psy.

I've also been listening to a lot of proto-trance this past couple of years, and that can be amazing, so much unique music! I feel like I'm digging up buried treasure when I find a really old track that has Goa sounds in it.

^Earwall - I know what you mean! I miss that feeling when you first discovered the music and didnt know how to get more. I had the internet then and lots of spare time which would of been the only way for me to get ahold of more music. Names of trance artists or goa legends, I would search them into the p2p programs and get more results. eventually getting more from the psychedelic scene and album names led to more. Google wasnt huge back then so Im not sure if I used that or yahoo or find obscure fan-made sites. those sites offered more names for me and somewhere along the way I realize goa trance is what I liked.

When I end up having breaks from the music, unintentionally, those great feelings hit me again when I come back. Usually it will be like "This cd is STILL so f*cking goood!!!" haha

this does happen from time to time. but it's most of the time less of an issue about goa becoming old, but more of "whoa, i'm missing out on all the other great music that's around". so i'll listen to mainly psychedelic rock, acid techno or straight trance for one or two days before i switch back to goa. still, i don't remember a peroid of time longer than 2 days of not listening to goa in the last 7 years.