the etnica/pleiadians Kickdrum

Guest neurogen

Guest neurogen

what synth did they use to create?

if not synth, how?

ive tried with Bazzism but impossible :P

also tried in Soundforge but getting only Infected like kicks (obviously)

im referring to the kick they use in most their tracks, like for example etnica- hells kitchen or crop circles - full mental jackpot (pleiadians remix)

i want the exact method they used.

im really curious because it is unique.

Ah the unique sound of the etnica kicks, I don't know I asked multiple times and I don't have a clear answer, if someone can solve this mystery would be nice.

This specific kick could have been taken from some "hit" of the times, as I remember Mauri telling me more than once they "borrowed" some kicks from here and there and then maybe tweaked them a bit but basically ripped it from an existing track as a base.

their kickdrum is monstrously wide and very warm, it wouldn't surprise me if it came from an analogue synth or drummachine, but which one? no idea :P

also has a big compressor on it for sure, and maybe even a reverb when i come to think of it!

basically you make kicks out of a sine wave and pitch manipulations, so if you have enough tuning options, you can get this effect if you compare enough with the etnica kick and search long enough for the right tuning, a good vst capable of doing this is microtonic, although you can make kicks with almost any vst around these days, its a matter of options available such as lfo, pitch, pitch modulation, and many types of sawforms and possible combinations to go from

with sytrus vst you can almost create any sound possible!

Take an SH-101, or Lush-101 demo. In your VCO, select only white noise. In your VCF, use a low value for filter cutoff, take resonance to 100%, and assign VCF to ENV1 at 50%. In your VCA, assign it to ENV2. In ENV1, leave Attack at 0, raise Decay and Sustain to 20%, and leave Release at 0. In ENV2, leave Attack at 0, raise Decay to 40%, and leave Sustain & Release at 0. This is what we have so far.

Now, open an audio application such as GoldWave. Go to "Effets » Pitch", and raise the pitch to 140. This takes the the kick higher.

Then, open "Effect » Filter » Equalizer", and set:

• 60Hz » -5dB
  • 150Hz » 0dB
  • 400Hz » -5dB
  • 1000Hz » -5dB
  • 2400Hz » -5dB
  • 6000Hz » -5dB
  • 15kHz » -5dB
This makes the kick louder. Optionally apply the compressor and here's the final result. Please note this applies to
, but if you want the kick to apply to
, you need to increase the pitch even more.

It is not the way Etnica has done it, but it is the way I would do it with what my hardware and software permit :)

Guest neurogen

Drake

Dammit! I was hoping, if anyone on this forum knew, you would be that one! Except of course the artists themselves.

Goa Travellers

That is a very nice reply, and I thank you for it.

Unfortunately that is not the kick I am referring to :D

Guest neurogen

Do you rather mean

? (maybe raise the pitch of the kick drum even more?)

that is exactly the one, yes.

And trust me Ive played around with the pitch but never ever got even close to that exact sound.

If you can do it, please do so and I will be very grateful to you!

I just show this weeks "into the lair" and remind me to this thread, so I though might be of your interest neurogen. Maybe not exactly what you are looking here but related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=impZpF8qgrk&feature=player_embedded

Also, i had a listen to the kick you mind. To my opinion it is a kick with no much pitch envelope, so it keeps the bottom end. Also I would say that the context is very important. Have a listen how all other elements relates to it, level and frequency wise, above all the bass. It can be a sampled kick from a record as stated by Draeke, The sound has a lot of a real bassdrum. Have you checked some libraries of drum kits?

Guest neurogen

^^

Thanks for the lovely reply and the video! I will look into it!

And yes, I am totally leaning towards it beeing a sampled "real" kickdrum, and then manipulated.

Your insight I agree with 100%, that it is completely "above" the bass and its very very present.

Its nothing like newschool goa kicks, and its rare in old school goa kicks.

It sounds very much more like a real kickdrum than a synthesized one.

Guest neurogen

here it is.

mind you, i sampled this from etnica - Trip in transkei. And with some filtering I managed to get it pretty clean.

Is this stealing btw?

If it is, ill remove it ASAP of course.

Im not enterily sure if a 1s sample is considered stealing or if its creative commons.

http://www.aeap.se/ETNICAKICK.wav

Guest neurogen

neurogen, you have a bass line in the background...

Once again, I tried combining a GM wavetable click sound with an 808 kick drum to have the click and the sine wave. I blended the whole ingredients in GoldWave and I got that (or that longer one)

what bassline in the background?

ok ur getting closer

Guest neurogen

When I listen to the sampled kick drum, I hear another instrument in the background...

okay. yeah it wasnt clean i said that in my post, but what your point is I really dont understand.

Take an SH-101, or Lush-101 demo. In your VCO, select only white noise. In your VCF, use a low value for filter cutoff, take resonance to 100%, and assign VCF to ENV1 at 50%. In your VCA, assign it to ENV2. In ENV1, leave Attack at 0, raise Decay and Sustain to 20%, and leave Release at 0. In ENV2, leave Attack at 0, raise Decay to 40%, and leave Sustain & Release at 0. This is what we have so far.

Now, open an audio application such as GoldWave. Go to "Effets » Pitch", and raise the pitch to 140. This takes the the kick higher.

Then, open "Effect » Filter » Equalizer", and set:

• 60Hz » -5dB
  • 150Hz » 0dB
  • 400Hz » -5dB
  • 1000Hz » -5dB
  • 2400Hz » -5dB
  • 6000Hz » -5dB
  • 15kHz » -5dB
This makes the kick louder. Optionally apply the compressor and here's the final result. Please note this applies to
, but if you want the kick to apply to
, you need to increase the pitch even more.

It is not the way Etnica has done it, but it is the way I would do it with what my hardware and software permit :)

Gaah! Sorry for the OT, but is this the formula for how-to-build-an-Airbus-a380-at-home? I simply DON'T understand a single thing you wrote above. But, man, I wish I could. I am musically illiterate.

Good question where that came from! I can't seem to reproduce it.

I highly doubt it's a sample of a real kick drum. To get a real kick drum to sound that tight, with no resonance, you have to damp it a lot, which not only reduces the low end, it shortens the decay time. That sound doesn't match up with a sampled kick drum. And that's not even considering the lack of acoustic noise and reverberation. I've recorded enough real kick drums to be pretty sure this isn't one. I could be wrong but I doubt it. It has a very electronic decay sound.

I've tried three different virtual analog softsynths and can't reproduce it. Maybe it came from a ROMpler and was constructed from something more complicated than a simple analog/VA structure?

Take an SH-101, or Lush-101 demo. In your VCO, select only white noise. In your VCF, use a low value for filter cutoff, take resonance to 100%,

If using a synth whose filter goes into self-oscillation at maximum resonance (or a software synth that models this behavior), what you're doing there is producing a sine wave. In a hardware synth that does this, the noise doesn't even need to be present, the filter will oscillate on it's own. So you might as well just start with a sine wave.

So you might as well just start with a sine wave.

I agree. And the 808 kick drum is close to a sine wave. That first tutorial was actually for the kick drum they use in "Astral way" (different from the one they use in "Full mental jackpot". We just need a click that matches the one they used. What do you think of the result I came up with? I used a GM wavetable wood percussion and an 808 kick drum.

I don't think your sample is very close, but it might be along the right track - a mix of different sounds rather than coming from a single source. It's odd though, it sounds very cohesive, like it comes from a single source, I just don't know what. Then again I'm only familiar with a limited range of synths.

Guest neurogen

Good question where that came from! I can't seem to reproduce it.

I highly doubt it's a sample of a real kick drum. To get a real kick drum to sound that tight, with no resonance, you have to damp it a lot, which not only reduces the low end, it shortens the decay time. That sound doesn't match up with a sampled kick drum. And that's not even considering the lack of acoustic noise and reverberation. I've recorded enough real kick drums to be pretty sure this isn't one. I could be wrong but I doubt it. It has a very electronic decay sound.

I've tried three different virtual analog softsynths and can't reproduce it. Maybe it came from a ROMpler and was constructed from something more complicated than a simple analog/VA structure?

decay, low end, and noise reduction can all be done post-sampling. It might not be a real kick drum, but not due to your reasons, imo.

For example its very easy to add both air and decay to the low end to a sample that has none, using for example Waves LoAir.

Damping and multisampling it to make it tighter is also very possible.

You may be right though, i just dont agree with your reasons for it :)