Need some help/opinions about old school artists

Ormion

I was watching some videos on youtube about This Is Psytrance, This is Goa Trance etc. and after reading the comments I was amazed about how many people are new in the scene and want to learn more about psytrance. Most of the questions of course were about difference between Goa and Psy, what's Full On, what is Forest etc.

So just for fun I decided to upload some videos myself to explore all the psytrance field.

The idea is to create a video for each subgenre with multiple tracks (fading in/out), possibly write soke comments as well.

Since Goa is a huge field I'm thinking to create more than one vids. Perhaps one for Goa, one for darker Goa or one for neogoa. I don't consider dark Goa or neogoa as different subgenres than ''regular'' Goa, but I think it's interesting for a new listener to hear the differencies.

I also want to have a video about old school psytrance (pre 2000 period). And here's the deal.

There are some artists that over the years we have disagreed if they are goa or old school psy. So I want to have your opinion about them.

Koxbox (pre Great Unknown period)

UX

Slide (Unstable and before)

Syb Unity Nettwerk

Hallucinogen (Twisted album)

X-Dream (pre Radio period)

Psychaos

Sandman

BOTFB (Twin Sharkfins album)

Juno Reactor (oldschool period)

Orichalcum & The Deviant

Quirk (Ping style tracks)

Synchro (1998 and before)

ManMadeMan

GMS (Growly Family & Chaos Laboratory)

Pigs In Space

Tim Schuldt (Single collection album)

Nervasystem

Thanks in advance :)

• Thanks 1

Back in the days goa or oldschool psy had no real meaning. But anyway...

Oldschool psy: Slide, Sandman (not even sure), BOTFB, Quirk, Synchro, GMS, Nervasystem.

The others are completly Goa (yes even Tim Schuldt IMO)

Back in the days goa or oldschool psy had no real meaning. But anyway...

Yeah I know.

Would you agree to create a video for old school psy or you think that all these artists belong to the old school goa section?

Yeah I know.

Would you agree to create a video for old school psy or you think that all these artists belong to the old school goa section?

Yes it's a good idea to give some sense of old school psy. Sure, it's all kinda goa, but you can make distinctions.

Oldschool psy: Nervasystem.

Nervasystem is thematic dark scifi goa imo. Or just dark goa.

Imo psy: Sandman, Synchro, Slide, quirk.

GMS and Syb Unity I cant tell.

in my music collection it's all goa ending until radio appears. with the notable exception of juno reactor, which just refuse to be classifyable. the artists from the list in the first post i'm missing in this period are slide, syb unity network, quirk and gms.

but i think this sums it up:

Back in the days goa or oldschool psy had no real meaning.

I was watching some videos on youtube about This Is Psytrance, This is Goa Trance etc. and after reading the comments I was amazed about how many people are new in the scene and want to learn more about psytrance. Most of the questions of course were about difference between Goa and Psy, what's Full On, what is Forest etc.

So just for fun I decided to upload some videos myself to explore all the psytrance field.

The idea is to create a video for each subgenre with multiple tracks (fading in/out), possibly write soke comments as well.

Since Goa is a huge field I'm thinking to create more than one vids. Perhaps one for Goa, one for darker Goa or one for neogoa. I don't consider dark Goa or neogoa as different subgenres than ''regular'' Goa, but I think it's interesting for a new listener to hear the differencies.

I also want to have a video about old school psytrance (pre 2000 period). And here's the deal.

There are some artists that over the years we have disagreed if they are goa or old school psy. So I want to have your opinion about them.

Koxbox (pre Great Unknown period)

UX

Slide (Unstable and before)

Syb Unity Nettwerk

Hallucinogen (Twisted album)

X-Dream (pre Radio period)

Psychaos

Sandman

BOTFB (Twin Sharkfins album)

Juno Reactor (oldschool period)

Orichalcum & The Deviant

Quirk (Ping style tracks)

Synchro (1998 and before)

ManMadeMan

GMS (Growly Family & Chaos Laboratory)

Pigs In Space

Tim Schuldt (Single collection album)

Nervasystem

Thanks in advance :)

ummm well... my opinion is quite different ;) The thing is that back in the days there was a LOT more room for creativity than today, most people who were active in the scene back then will tell you that there was an "anything is possible" feeling and doing stuff that didn't integrate in the "norm" was well... normal ;) Think of dubstep today: you have stuff ranging from very calm almost chill-out dubstep to very agressive stuff and even commercial stuff, yet it is ALL called simply dubstep, it was the same for psytrance back in the day IMO. If anything, people differentiated different styles by nationality, you had the Israeli style which was the most melodic, UK style which was darker, "Aussie/ Japanese/ Matsuri-style" which was on the wierd side, German style which was more techno-oriented, etc... Although most of all, trancers formed "fan-clubs" of a certain artist, and would adore just about ANYTHING that was released by that particular artist so you had endless discussions on whether Simon Posford was the best or Astral Projection or MWNN etc.

The whole "I only listen to sub-sub-sub-style no.1 and all the other sub-sub-sub-styles are crap" attitude only came after 2000 when people started using "minimal" to differentiate the new wave of psy hitting the scene which was very different from what used to be made out there, people usually drew the line between "new" and "old" psy with Atmos - Headcleaner, Hux Flux - Criptic Crunch, Shiva Chandra - Auricular and The Delta - Schizzoeffective (which once you think of it, although it was a common practice to put them all in the "minimal" category were in fact very different styles...)

so "retro-actively" splitting the styles would be artificial and wouldn't quite represent how people saw the scene back then IMO.