Jesper Kyd and the brilliant OST's of Assassin's Creed

Penzoline

I've been thinking about this for a while but is there anyone else making this kind of utter brilliance? These compositions are out of this world. The electronic elements add such insane depth. My mind is constantly being blown apart with every new Assassins Creed soundtrack. It's not the typical soundtrack at all, everything about them sounds revolutionary to me. This kind of music is the only thing that trumps all else to me, it tells a story like no other. If you have not heard these OST's then you go ahead and do yourself a favor and listen to them.

I am playing Assassin's Creed II these days and I also have to admit that the music is nice.

Jesper Kyd is a good musician ... although I do not necessarily like his Assassin's Creed pieces so much. Jesper's atmosphere is tribal in nature, but I feel he is sometimes not leaving ambient soundscapes when I would actually wish that he would ... and that is what gives his Assassin's Creeds music a bit of a hold back, like if the tribal-ness was kept on a leash an the percussions have to hide ... which is a bit of a pity.

The best for me is, that Jesper Kyd is the same guy that also has contributed to the Unreal Tournament III soundtrack :rolleyes:

UT3 soundtrack is by Rom Di Prisco and Jesper Kyd. And in that game Soundtrack, Jesper IMO really shows what he can do by unleashing this tribal energy that I feel is held back in Assassin's Creed music sometimes.

This one is awesome for example ... one of my favourites of the UT soundtrack - mostly also because it's the soundtrack of the Sanctuary map, which is one of my favourites :) ... but here you can hear the percussions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SffSrmolD0&feature=related

:wub:

Or maybe I just was too influenced by UT before playing AC and went in with the desire to hear a comparable soundtrack, I don't know.

jesper kyd is a legend in the demoscene. he already did great tracks 20 years ago in 4 channel trackers.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=405

thanks for this :)

I love old Amiga demos and their music...

now I understood why the Unreal folks let him do the music for the third Tournament ... all Unreal music producers so far had their roots in this demoscene ... maybe they even knew each other ... so great...

(sorry, I am a bit Unreal crazy, hehe :rolleyes: ... jeez, hold me back, hold me back! hehe...)

okay.

Hey, Penzoline, just by the way, do you know if Jesper Kyd also did this E3 trailer song of the new Assassin's Creed Revelations?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavMvN_1WOg

I am playing Assassin's Creed II these days and I also have to admit that the music is nice.

Jesper Kyd is a good musician ... although I do not necessarily like his Assassin's Creed pieces so much. Jesper's atmosphere is tribal in nature, but I feel he is sometimes not leaving ambient soundscapes when I would actually wish that he would ... and that is what gives his Assassin's Creeds music a bit of a hold back, like if the tribal-ness was kept on a leash an the percussions have to hide ... which is a bit of a pity.

The best for me is, that Jesper Kyd is the same guy that also has contributed to the Unreal Tournament III soundtrack :rolleyes:

UT3 soundtrack is by Rom Di Prisco and Jesper Kyd. And in that game Soundtrack, Jesper IMO really shows what he can do by unleashing this tribal energy that I feel is held back in Assassin's Creed music sometimes.

This one is awesome for example ... one of my favourites of the UT soundtrack - mostly also because it's the soundtrack of the Sanctuary map, which is one of my favourites :) ... but here you can hear the percussions:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SffSrmolD0&feature=related

Been awhile since I played UT3, but I still remember this. :)

Been awhile since I played UT3, but I still remember this. :)

tsk ... why don't you come back? It's a shame so few people are playing this game anymore, it's great, I don't understand...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SffSrmolD0&feature=related

:wub:

Or maybe I just was too influenced by UT before playing AC and went in with the desire to hear a comparable soundtrack, I don't know.

Assassin's creed music is certainly one of a kind, but I really don't see how the lack of tribalism hurts it, the games are not set in a place of tribal nature.

jesper kyd is a legend in the demoscene. he already did great tracks 20 years ago in 4 channel trackers.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=405

Interesting!

Hey, Penzoline, just by the way, do you know if Jesper Kyd also did this E3 trailer song of the new Assassin's Creed Revelations?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavMvN_1WOg

Nah that was done by some band, it's in the title.

tsk ... why don't you come back? It's a shame so few people are playing this game anymore, it's great, I don't understand...

I loved that game too. CTF with good players was a blast. Nowadays there are no CTF games at all aside from instagib which is just boring so I quit the game too. Warfare still has an active server but since it uses juggernauts it's just mindless shooting and exploding and just bleh. The game died an early death because of the release. It had loads of problems which were fixed either too late or never.

I really miss CTF though.. so much fun.

Assassin's creed music is certainly one of a kind, but I really don't see how the lack of tribalism hurts it, the games are not set in a place of tribal nature.

Yes, it's true that the game does not have much of a tribal setting. But when I run across the roofs of the city on the run from the guards, I'd have nothing against it...

But it might also be the music that I knew from Jesper before (UT) that makes me expect the tribal sound.

I loved that game too. CTF with good players was a blast. Nowadays there are no CTF games at all aside from instagib which is just boring so I quit the game too. Warfare still has an active server but since it uses juggernauts it's just mindless shooting and exploding and just bleh. The game died an early death because of the release. It had loads of problems which were fixed either too late or never.

I really miss CTF though.. so much fun.

Yes, the release of the game was far too rushed. They should have beta tested it some months and many glitches would have been fixed at the release. The PS3 version came a bit later, so the worst problems were not there ... but only after the Titan Pack and Patch combo this game lives up to its true greatness and it's such a pity so many people got turned down by that time already. There really aren't that many players anymore...

I'm still a huge fan though, in my eyes this is the second best UT after the first one .... so I still play the occasional deathmatch on PS3 :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...