Posted Image

Artist: K.U.R.O.

Title: Zombie Family EP

Label:

Date: 2011

1. Hard Zombie

2. Black Zombie

3. Red Zombie

I haven't kept up with the latest doings with Takeichirou, but I do know that his goa trance back in the day was pretty intense. His album Revolution in 96 gave us the title track as well as Thunderstorm, two really good bangers. I haven't heard any of the stuff he's done lately, but people have said it was a heavy brand of techno. So out of the blue, Penzoline (thank you sir) leads us to a link of some new material. At least I think it's new material.

Hard Zombie- Hmmmm, first track is only 51 seconds, I wonder....HOLY MOTHER OF GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN THE ZOMBIES ARE LOOSE!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Black Zombie- Holy f*ck what the hell was that? I had to change underwear, it scared the crap outta me. Now this...this is more like it. A dark, thumping bombastic beat that is frantic in its pace. Pretty twisted in a cyber mindcrime blade runner type of way. I can see this being played in a biiiig venue. And then people would turn into zombies.

Red Zombie- Another goa trance blast that spits up acid like when you got punched in the mouth. Member that? When that guy punched you? Broke your teeth, man you looked terrible. Just sayin'. The acid line is quick and nimble as well as aggressive and dark. It's pretty relentless.

Wow, that was...interesting. That's like taking 2 5-hour energies and topping it off with 3 espressos. After 5 Red Bulls. As you can imagine I usually skip the 1st "track" as it holds nothing of value. The second is an aural assault that takes no prisoners with it's delicious dark and intense rhythm Good to see him throw some goa back into the mix. The bass is a little loud, but what are you gonna do? My favorite is the third one as that lead just doesn't quit. It's free so the price is right. Since this is all about zombies, well it just seems fitting to end with a kid touching zombie.

Posted Image

So....he's the Red Zombie, right?

Psyristor.com I don't know what that is and my computer makes funny little characters. Must be an Asian site. He's Asian, so I guess that would make sense. Still, you would think by now the powers that be could make those characters visible the way they should be seen on my screen.

Mdk

Thanks for posting a review of it, definitely feel like more people need to hear this.

First track is some wacky experimental hardcore and I don't think much of it, fun little intro though, but then comes black zombie. It has this Ubar Tmar experiemental psytrance style to it but remaining that KURO techno feel throughout. When the immense, blasting, forceful synth arrives at 4:45 you know this was created by someone with incredible amounts of talent. That thing is such sheer power, I'd LOVE to see it played on a dancefloor full of enthusiastic psytrance/goatrance followers. What it does to me is make me feel like I'm in a hallway and something pushes me 300mph forwards. Absolutely brilliant and incredible work. Red zombie follows the same style but doesn't really have a climax like in Black zombie, but is absolutely solid throughout, a good mind-bending psychedelic ride.

I wish K.U.R.O. would continue this road, it's obvious he still has it after all these years, the techno albums were just that, really, techno, but this fusiony sound is really awesome work.

I try to keep following KURO, for to me, his work is always superb, elegant, his tracks have a mastering that is so perfect. But this is something hard to do. As Trance2Move pointed, it's hard to follow him thru the web, as his name can be written in 4 different alphabets, and the mix of the of them. The result is that he is always under the radar for us westerners/ Also, he is very discrete, he barely plays outside Japan, and even there sometimes you discover he is in the line-up AFTER the party - this happened to me while I lived there. I once managed to buy a ticket in advance, he was to play in a party organized by Planet BEN Records in the wonderful mountains of Gifu and Nagano. But that day it rained dogs and cats, taxis or trains couldn't reach the location.

I consider KURO as a techno producer (Modulation album) who sometimes crosses the boundaries to the psychedelic land (Satisfaction album). His tracks always have that element that you hear in other Japanese techno wizards. I just love Satisfaction. Charm also is one of the best tech-trance work to this day. OMG, I am just listening to Black Zombie - wow!!! what's that??????

I hope this EP is the first of a series that lead to a new album. :wub:

@Trance2Move: I visited Psyristor.com, it's a mix of Roman alphabet, katakana, hiragana and kanjis. This is what I see here. The kanjis and kanas are not translated into roman letters, unless you have a program installed. Anyway, the flyer is easy to understand.

I too haven't followed K.U.R.O.'s techno output (would like to hear it though), but I love his early high speed rocket goa from the nineties.

This is really a different cup of tea though, but a really tasty one! I can hear his love for relentless pounding techno, and then it's infused with huge load of grinding old-school intense goa/psy synth sounds (true TTT style), PERFECT :D

and yes let's hope this leading to more like this from K.U.R.O.'s hand, an album would be awesome!