V/A - Forest Frequencies (Lost Theory Records)

psytones

V/A - Forest Frequencies (Lost Theory Records) 2009 (LTRCD001)

Lost Theory Records from Belgium gives us in the summer of 2009 their own contribution to the forest frequencies out there by releasing their debut with acts ready to distort your mind and twist your imagination all around and throughout your blinking chakras. Lost Theory has set them self out to bring you their view on today’s psychedelic swamp music, and it smells and looks nice. Represented by well established artists as well as upcoming talents, Lost Theory is giving the world a strange tale from the forests that they themselves have experienced and loved. The Lost Theory crew compiled this debut album keeping the muddy dance floor experiences in mind where they start out with deep and confused forest sounds with groovy basslines and colorful soundscapes to twist your tits, and manages to evolve the sound into hi-tech psychedelics to give the story a proper ending. Best of all, the fusion works perfect and it feels like it was meant to be.

Posted Image

01. MakadaM - Sir Pickelhaupt The III (Sweden 148 BPM)

02. Purosurpo - Tree-Tale (Sweden 147 BPM)

03. Pandora's Box - Time Edge (Argentina 150 BPM)

04. OneirOmaniX - The Bipolar Magician (Israel 150 BPM)

05. Megalopsy - Derrames (Argentina 150 BPM)

06. Alien Mental - A Time Of Lost Theories (India 152 BPM)

07. Will O' Wisp - Snowdrops (Argentina 148 BPM)

08. Scope - Focus (Belgium 154 BPM)

09. Polyphonia Vs. Zik - Are You Mad? (Greece 150 BPM)

10. Furious - Onchemical In You Z (Russia 178 BPM)

Track by track:

01. As the strange sounds quirk their way through the frequencies of your mind, your head takes a turn and your legs start to wiggle. The sound is clear, the effects are pleasant and sharp while the tempo is pumping and smiling. Makadam is unknown to me (like a few artists on this compilation), but I truly like their sound as it really feel complete and well developed in a comfortable sense. The feel has traces of misty moss with colored sprinkles, there aren’t a whole lot of melodies, but some funk is present as the track nears its end with a jiggling and running emotion.

02. Starts out with some tight rolling black wooden marbles where one speaks of the common destiny with the trees. This is the contribution of Purosurpo who is a member of the famouse group, Derango. In this track he delivers a piece that claims to be able to communicate with the trees of the mighty forests, and as most of the Purosurpo tracks, you'll be able to hear some horse neighs swaying in the background to create an extra weird and pleasant atmosphere. An awkward melody line kicks in with unsettling effects to weird up the mood - After the storm there is some haunting noises that ensures us that this forest isn't all green and sunny, it holds enchanted secrets and have powers to exited as well as place fear and confusion in your erectile mind.

03. The intro creeps with shivering bleeps, the voice speaks as the mood strangeness the air. Kick walks the talk and the freak beats the bass as the haunting forest tunes into its frequencies with a clear sound image and some nipping effects that licks the salt off your skin. This is Pandora's Box's Time Edge and it seems to be distilled more than a few times to get that exact taste and aroma. It has what’s been told but also contains some almost monk like atmosphere's only to be pushed up in layer by a well placed voice sample. The beats are staggering and the effects are trying to push it forward because it must wiggle harder and faster now to make its sensation last inside a blast. Maybe it enters a house in the forest with a crazed old nutter babbling while preparing mushroom soup?

04. Howling moods with colorful blub prepares to build and present, the kick and bass speak of ragging the floor and the space guns aim at your frisbee shaped head. When the music-pump starts to flow hard it feels really good and ruff, but I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan of the continuance of the nagging and blasting effects. The beats are forever changing and it seems to be pushing the level up for each change which really pleases a sinister grind for its energy boost. Awkward and strange leads take a grab of your metal soul while laughing and dropping the level to another place of horror and shame with shimmering traces of light.

05. Teleportation to another dreamland with more lucid feels of heavy hitting basslines and rolling effects that trolls over your face heavier than a Rolls Royce on ecological fuel. Mood is still in that Forest Frequencie, and the mental delusion is still unsettling and weird. Megalopsy. Their name is known, but unfortunately their music is fairly unknown to my ears. I heard a lot of praises of their 2005 album, The Abstract Machine, and I have a feeling they have cooked up a track here to especially suit the by now established forest sound where one seems to use a lot of effects that flies by your side in obscure manners between the trees with haunting spirits and often, awkward melodies placed inside the twinkling leafs. It seems to be the receipt these days. I like what Megalopsy has done though, it has these standards that I personally find juvenile and ultimately, boring. But what I do like about these guys musci is that they have managed to present a flow that disillusions the listener into a trance where the effects that fly by do so in a very pleasant way. I’m not in love, so I’d like to call them Megaflops instead. He he, that’s a bad joke.

06. Starts out with a Bang and presents the firmest and sexiest walk so far on this Forest VA. But why oh why are people so attached and faithful to all of these effect things that seem more then often thrown in and tweaked around to sound cool and disturbing then meaningful and holy? But let’s suppress that notion and get back to the music at hand. This track lifts the tempo and adds some more clever sounding noise... Playing squash is good for the health, plus it sounds good for the sonic impression with lasers flying up and down from side to side. There are more smart moves in this track. Guess it has a lot to do with the communications between sounds and the bass shifts and powers that really chuckles my knuckle of love.

07. CaddeCaddeCutta EhyAhYeh AhYeah! The speed is on, the flattering apparently random effects are sprinkling, and the atmosphere is haunting. I don't know what Will O'wisp is cooking, but it's bubbling and it seems to be tasteful though a little confusing in spirit. It does hold its own ground with some mad and strange forest berries stretching in the pot.

08. Whispering bushes windy Oohh … and flabbering basslines with a killer beat that has a following of effects that fly and talk by its side. It's about Focus, focus on what is and what's not. You know, there's nothing wrong with effects as long as one can use them in clever senses with flow and power. But when a cook just takes a casserole and throws in all he sees to be cool or fancy, it will turn out tasting disoriented and nasty. It feels as Scope is in control with attention on making something delusional and funky with a good taste of arctic forest berries. Scope has managed to make a track that flows in power with effects that trances one out with the essential haunting spirit cheering on. Sturdy stuff so far. And I guess it’s worth a mentioning that Scope consists of two persons, Yannick and Rafaël (MadeInRealtime). Rafaël is the visual artists behind this and other album artwork, and to be honest, his other pieces and especially this one are totally ‘leaves me speechless’ stunning!!

09. Alarms sway with distortion ray. The bassline with its kicking companion get affecting visitors from disturbia, and we're off to the mental institution of revolution. Polyphonia Vs Zik play with the mind and probes to see if you’re just a tad mad. The beat-flow is steady and groovy and the effects are playful but it bores while it tries to gore before it ends its trail into the world of fail.

10. Daggadaggaragga the frequencies are tuning in, the kick is in haste, is it late for something? The fastest and most in your face track evargh is by the well known and respected Furious, he has turned the BPM up to a whopping 178 and manages to do so with style, though it sort of feels stupidly rushed. I wonder how Fat the bass sounds if I pitch it down in haste? Ding dong, what an good idea! hrhr . .hhehe .. A good break to catch the attention of yawners. - Effects used in this tempo really compliment the amphetamine like mood and really grabs you to speak its mind, if there is anything to find, that is.

Posted Image

Recommendation: So, in an enchanted forest of colorful imagination and stellar confusion, the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area are swaying over your nut to delightfully spin you around and feel the fresh breeze of swamp-infected beats to the higher technology of modern time sound pools. The mood is quirky and it’s mysterious as to reflect the vivid imagination a dusked to dawned forest can imply on your delirious mind. This lost theory from across the green planet is about tentative explanations of some aspect of the forest world where you easily can lose the bearings of one’s confused time, place and personal identity. It’s an organized chaotic system of accepted and unknown knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to imagine a specific set of a demented phenomenon, which seems to live inside us all.

The Forest Frequencies by Lost Theory is basically the ratio of the number of observations in a confused yet connected category to the total number of ten magical artists being observed while they play their mental delusions upon your effected membrane that woggles along a forest trail of swamps and technology. It’s a beautiful and mental journey and you should check it out if this is your style of forest groove. Recommended!

Favorite Tracks: 1, 3, 6(!), 8(!), 10(!)

Where to buy and other links:

Lost Theory Records: http://www.losttheoryrecords.com

Lost MySpace Theory: http://www.myspace.com/losttheoryrecords

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Forest-Freq...release/1855615

MadeInRealtime: http://www.madeinrealtime.com

Buy CD from the label: http://www.losttheoryrecords.com/shop.html

Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=4942

Saikosounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_la...p?label_id=1181

More Reviews: http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic

It would be nice if you added the tracklist :)

I donno what U R talking about -_-^_^:P

Have you seen such beautiful artwork, man? I'm going to replace it with a bigger resulated picture as soon as the label sends me one!

It's for sure one of the most breathtaking artworks I have ever seen! It deserves some praises .. smile

• 4 weeks later...