AAARRGGGHHH!

I've been working on this song for a while and was pretty close to being finished, then I stepped back and realized it's not as good as I thought it was. I've now been trying to figure out how to alter it to make it better, and I can't get a damned thing done. Everything I try sucks! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I've got two other songs in the same state. I'm getting very angry about this!

Just venting... :drama:

I've been working on this song for a while and was pretty close to being finished, then I stepped back and realized it's not as good as I thought it was. I've now been trying to figure out how to alter it to make it better, and I can't get a damned thing done. Everything I try sucks! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm in the same place, have a couple of tracks I just can't finish... With the feeling it could be awesome.. Somehow, I'm just stuck :angry:

Maybe we should switch projects, see if that helps on the creativity ;)

Sometimes it seems if they take too long they end up not as good.

For me, it is faster to just start over from the beginning then to try to fix.

Though, it is hard to give up.

It's just SOO difficult when you've created a 7 and a half minute track, and the part from 2 minutes on forward is awesome.. The beginning was lame, tried to change it.. It's impossible for me to make a cool beginning like this, that doesn't sound TOO empty, but yet is matching the rest of the track, without sounding too repetetive :( Well...

if its just the first 2 minutes its not as important as the rest. Sometimes you just need to leave a track for a while, continue with something else. Or just finish it and accept not every track is as you want it to be. It s not the end of the world.

If it helps, it helps to know that you can't force music to happen, you'll ruin your tracks.

Music is just a fealing, and its about capturing it via total openness. Theres no greater form of channeling than the state of mind of a musician. Openness.

= solved your motivation problems.

Also its cool to not make music for like a month and just live, then you always rebound into it. You'll be able to tell, you won't be able to resist just jamming and laying out sounds.

Also, hang out with music people.

Veracor put up your track, I want to hear and could tell you how done you are or not. Seriously 90% of people are way too modest and perfectionist about sharing their music. It is a pity we have lost them forever to time, and they didn't get to share their creations.

Veracor put up your track, I want to hear and could tell you how done you are or not. Seriously 90% of people are way too modest and perfectionist about sharing their music. It is a pity we have lost them forever to time, and they didn't get to share their creations.

Pardon the rough mix: http://www.veracohr.com/audio/0311.mp3

I actually keep going back and forth on it. Sometimes it seems fine, sometimes it seems too repetitive.

And it cuts off abruptly at the end because I hadn't decided how to end it yet. The repetitiveness is the problem I have with it.

I almost have this problem with all my tracks. When I'm in the 75% of the writing I suddenly realize that the track is not anything special. So almost all the times I start from the beginning.

I have one tip for you: Don't listen to your tracks so many times before you finished them. It's possibly you think they're not good because you have got bored of them from the many listens.

I almost have this problem with all my tracks. When I'm in the 75% of the writing I suddenly realize that the track is not anything special. So almost all the times I start from the beginning.

I have one tip for you: Don't listen to your tracks so many times before you finished them. It's possibly you think they're not good because you have got bored of them from the many listens.

Well you have to keep listening to it in order to write it!

Well you have to keep listening to it in order to write it!

Hehe yeah I know. I mean don't listen to them thousands and thousands of times.

I used to listen to my unfinished tracks ALL the time in order to find out what else to add, how they sound in different sound systems and how to complete them.

Nowdays I try to listen to them as few times as possible, before I get tired of them.

Ormion is right, no matter how happy you are with your track, do not render it and listen to an mp3. Do not listen to it unless in the studio environment. The reason is you'll begin memorizing how it all sounds and will instantly forget where you wanted it to to go, or otherwise color the original session you started with.

When composing, you should be looping sections of your track, every 8 or 16 bars or 32 bars or so, and filling in a new layer from beginning to end, then continueing with another loop section but changing or adding elements. Soon you'll logically end up with 2 or 3 breakdowns, and then its time for the outtro.

the key word is:

creative destruction :) Theres your whole shiva mentality. If you are stuck and don't know what to do, thats what you do.

Advice about your track:

Yes just start a new one, bearing in mind what you did (or didn't do) to make this current track repetitive, and attempting to not do that again, or to try something different. Your latest track is always better in some way from your previous compositions.

Your track is repetitive because your percussion is repetitive. You are having trouble composing new melodies because your bass is repetitive and rigid, due to the percussions also being rigid and minimally designed.

THe change in key around the middle of the track was cool :) and cool how you keep it up, but after 6 minutes of listening to the same melody and rythm, most people listening to this will be burned out.

Your melody composition is good, melodically you can tell stories. Now you just have to do that with the bass, fx, fx processing, automation, percussion, and everything else.

Synthwork - needs some help but its okay i know you are learning still. But play with some better vsti's, they'll inspire you. :)

- hope some of that can help :) very honest advice.

thats pretty good comment aeros!

also i would add try to make the bass patch a little fatter, maybe by adding an extra oscillator that is an octave lower and/ or by adding some distortion to it. That usually fattens it up a little as well.

the sounds continue way too long to stay interesting.

What you could do is take a track you really like insert it in your DAW and simply try to copy the arrangement. Don't worry too much about using the same sounds. but do try to copy the structure. You can learn alot from it.

And indeed the percussion needs alot more additions to make em interesting.

good luck!

What's funny is that I have a tendency to put too many changes in my music, so I made an effort on this song to not do that. I guess I swung too far to the other side. And as far as the percussion, that's nothing new. I never write good percussion lines.

It's pretty good but it doesn't go anywhere... builds up and just changes key for too long, then around 1/2 way there's some weird change and it kind of loses my interest after that point... the second half is too simplistic compared to the first half or something.

It's just SOO difficult when you've created a 7 and a half minute track, and the part from 2 minutes on forward is awesome.. The beginning was lame, tried to change it.. It's impossible for me to make a cool beginning like this, that doesn't sound TOO empty, but yet is matching the rest of the track, without sounding too repetetive :( Well...

cut long intro, make it a 6 minute track? :P

+1 to Aeros comments

Repeditivness comes from not thinking the track through enough. Take a break from it and listen to your favorite music or go for a hike.

Or you can come on over here and listen to what I'm playing with ATM.

Sometimes I shelve something for months and then come back to it when I'm fresh.

Listening to what you've done over and over can drain the creativity.

This is analytical overload.

By far the best advice is to just start a new track :) my honest opinion is that this one is nothing special and is extremely repetitive. Tracks do not respond well to over-revision since you lose the flow and the original vibes.

When in doubt, new track. But atleast try and pick up older tracks, I know too many people with 100 1 minute tracks who think they can make music. Don't get stuck in that phase too. Besides technical wizardry you are also a composer and orchestrator of a story.