Can we a favorites forum in the general forum?

Jon Cocco

I don't know how many times I've seen repeated threads here for the likes, such as..

- Favorite Psy song

- Favorite Psy, ambient, Goa song (and/or) album.

- Top ten favorite albums

- Top best albums

- Best album(s)

- Best Dark Psytrance album(s)

- Most psychedelic song (or) album ever

- If you had to pick only one!!!!

- Your favorites (list)

- etc, etc, etc.

I've decided this. People are often curious about what's considered the best. It's subjective. Sure. But it's a very popular topic. And there are so many.. too many threads that repeat too often about this topic.

Searching for such threads amongst thousands of threads is cumbersome to say the least. Even when using the search box.

Is it possible to have a (sub) forum in the general section that brings all of these threads together so people are channeled in the clear direction of this often searched for topic? Every year I see more and more threads along these topics and I think, wow, this has been done so many times before. I don't feel like responding after the (I've lost track how many) times.

Why not just make a forum in the general section called FAVORITES or FAVOURITES (however it's spelled) and loop previous related threads there, even merge several identical ones if necessary and this would be really cool for many people.

I.e: Your top (whatever number) Psytrance, Ambient/Chill, Downtempo, Goa (albums, songs), etc. Obviously these would be separated threads in a forum within the General forum. Those "other" forums at the top.

Is this possible? Am I in the wrong section to be posting this and if so can someone please move this to a section where this can get some attention from more people in charge here.

Start with one of mine for instance.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=40949

There are so many more. It would be nice to have these together. They also make so many newcomers aware of great releases and help stimulate and expand the life of this wonderful music. :)

Comments? Moderators?

Not sure if I understand correctly. You sugest ONE THREAD per person, or ONE thread per whatever you just mentioned?

prolly a thread per genre... or summat? maybe?

I think he meant a sub-forum under the general forum which lists all the various "favourites" or "toplists" threads. Not a bad idea actually, it would clean up the mess in general a bit. Maybe name it "Suggestions & Favourites" subforum or something like that.

This will of course give some more work for the mods to move the threads from here that belong there. Any volunteers? :P

I disagree completely. The purpose of these threads is not to build a definitive list of favourites but to interact and discuss music. Every new thread brings out something fresh... and I, for one, do not always like posting in threads that have become bulky and stagnant with old content. Favourites change with time... limit the ability for the forum to shift and change and you will inhibit spontaneity, and to what end? Simply to clean things up and "streamline" dialogue? I think we would lose more than we might gain. If you want a forum where all standard inquiries are met with the mantra "use the search" then by all means, check out Isratrance :) I like that Psynews is a free-for-all, that it isn't a big deal to start up a new topic no matter how many times it may have been raised. Let's keep it wide open.

Yeah, kind of what I think as well, Basilisk :) I mean, I would like a feature (like a plugin for the profile) where people can post their current top 10, all time favorites etc etc, but I dont think it exists, and I do not want to sit and have php headache for a weekend :D

Heh, it would be pretty easy I think though, look at my profile :D Just needs some re-thinking and then make multiple instances of the About Me tap/script and incorporate. I have a spam server up and running with the same version of IPB as this, I will toy around there in the weekend to see if its doable (if I break the server it does not matter lol) :D

Soulseek (ok im talking about apps now) has a nice feature called "Things I Like". Basically you name a few artist names or genre names or even tracks, and the app searches for other users with similar taste and then gives you a recommendation of artists and music from these people that you've probably haven't heard yet. It's a pretty neat feature, but I think it would be hard to apply this onto the IP board.

Back in the old Psynews days there was a link with Our Favorites and Your Favorites.

Under the Our Favorites there was a favorite tracks list of some old members. I don't remember what was under the Your Favorites though.

I think it's a nice idea to have a topic where any member can post his top 10 psy tracks or top 10 psy albums. And with every change he could edit his post.

Back in the old Psynews days there was a link with Our Favorites and Your Favorites.

Under the Our Favorites there was a favorite tracks list of some old members. I don't remember what was under the Your Favorites though.

I think it's a nice idea to have a topic where any member can post his top 10 psy tracks or top 10 psy albums. And with every change he could edit his post.

I remember I had a top 10 in the "our favourites", I have NO idea which tracks tho... probably DOmestic Bliss on nr 1 :D

Anyway, Your favourites was a TOP-10 average, everyone could vote, and the system was influenced by everyones votes

I remember I had a top 10 in the "our favourites", I have NO idea which tracks tho... probably DOmestic Bliss on nr 1 :D

Anyway, Your favourites was a TOP-10 average, everyone could vote, and the system was influenced by everyones votes

Not NDMA-Vitan? :D

Hmm.. No need to make a complete subforum for it IMO... WHy not just pin a thread in the general.

Either a complete list where you can make all suggestions :

- Favorite Psy song

- Favorite Psy, ambient, Goa song (and/or) album.

- Top ten favorite albums

- Top best albums

- Best album(s)

- Best Dark Psytrance album(s)

- Most psychedelic song (or) album ever

- If you had to pick only one!!!!

- Your favorites (list)

- etc, etc, etc

Or pin a couble of threads for each of the most important once.... But great idea IMO, and it would save alot of space from psynews, since it would cause people to stop creating "best ambient" "best fullon" "top ten tracks" recommend me some darkpsy" and what so ever :)

I disagree completely. The purpose of these threads is not to build a definitive list of favourites but to interact and discuss music. Every new thread brings out something fresh... and I, for one, do not always like posting in threads that have become bulky and stagnant with old content. Favourites change with time... limit the ability for the forum to shift and change and you will inhibit spontaneity, and to what end? Simply to clean things up and "streamline" dialogue? I think we would lose more than we might gain. If you want a forum where all standard inquiries are met with the mantra "use the search" then by all means, check out Isratrance :) I like that Psynews is a free-for-all, that it isn't a big deal to start up a new topic no matter how many times it may have been raised. Let's keep it wide open.

+1

i think we should be able to open a new thread for favorite whatever, but having a sub-forum is not a bad idea. but not necessarily 1 for each genre, we can have a sub forum of favorites/recommendations/or whatever you wanna name it where we can open new threads asking for same old question of top albums...

i agree with basilisk, my favorite albums change with time, and i think it's same for most of ppl here (of course except ppl who think everything suck except the first 10 goa records they bought 10 years ago ^_^ ). the best thing to do IMO is to improve the search engine :)

I think he meant a sub-forum under the general forum which lists all the various "favourites" or "toplists" threads. Not a bad idea actually, it would clean up the mess in general a bit. Maybe name it "Suggestions & Favourites" subforum or something like that.

This will of course give some more work for the mods to move the threads from here that belong there. Any volunteers? :P

Yes. That's what I'm saying. One thread can go there now that is currently on page 1 via the general section titled: "Your Favorite Album Of All Time."

Another is Your favorite artwork. And "Best Dark Psytrance with melodies" where people posted many of their favorite dark psytrance songs/albums with melodies. Just to name a few. Simply collect the "favorite" and "favourite" and "best" (same concept) threads and put them in a sub-forum via the General section. They'll probably be little to no merging necessary depending on few, potential doubles posted at different times. If that's okay with whoever decides to do that when they get around to it. People can re-edit there favorites. This is an open sub-forum for people's favorites related to our music here. That's it. :)

Yes. The favorites thing is so common. Too common. There should be one sub-forum so this is easily accessible.

I think the sub-forum is a great idea. If that's any consolation.

Yes.