Trance in the Garage

Hey, I'm real new here, but I've been into trance music lately and have been trying to experiment with the style with my jam band. Do you all have any practice ideas, techniques, theory or excersizes that would help us on our journey? If it helps we are a 3 piece with keyboard, bass and drums.

We would really apprecieate some feedback!

Thanks

Hey, I'm real new here, but I've been into trance music lately and have been trying to experiment with the style with my jam band. Do you all have any practice ideas, techniques, theory or excersizes that would help us on our journey? If it helps we are a 3 piece with keyboard, bass and drums.

Thanks

Psy trance is a very complex genre, its a science almost to learn it and master it, to many advices to give like this briefly, but i do recommend that you invest in a good synthesizer suitable for psy trance, since this genre is heavily based around the synthesizer sound.

Some good effects are essential as well, phasers, chorus, flangers, and reverb/delay units.

The list just goes on and on.

Thanks

Jam band and psytrace do not mix!

Unless your Eat Static

Jam band and psytrace do not mix!

Unless your Eat Static

Uhhhh, that was just about the stupidest thing i've ever read. So, if you are not Eat Static / Ozric Tentacles, you can not do it? Way to go to inspire something that might be cool and really good!!! :lol: As much as I am an asshole, your above comment was just assholeish.

And yeah as a tip, Mackayah, Check out Eat Static / Ozric, they are doing some cool stuff :)

Ok, ok, cool, thanks for replying. I'm workin with a Roland fp5 and a Korg triton le...Triton has some cool lead type sounds and the roland has some built in effects which are kinda crappy...Basicly i've been using a midi chord to enhance my keyboards together and i'm lookin at reasons to use along with my computer.

I have some theory behind me, but i guess what I'm lookin for is more of the theory aspect of the whole trance groove. Anything you all were doing when you started?

I'll post the latest jam when i figure out how to...Thanks

There are alot of good psy bands.

SUN project, Dark soho, Juno reactor.

IMO, bands always PWN solo projects.

my perfect setup would be:

dude 1:

1 electric drums with sampler

Posted Image

dude 2

1 guitar with pedalbox (GNX1) & build in Kaoss pad 3

"]kaoss pad guitar demo on youtube

Posted Image

Posted Image

dude 3:

1 laptop running ableton live & Korg MS20(synth)

dude 4

violin or Sax+roland juno 106, roland TB-303 (for old skool sound) or Virus Ti & Nord lead G2+ rack with compressors, equalisers, FX, recording unit & patch

that will do it.

Uhhhh, that was just about the stupidest thing i've ever read. So, if you are not Eat Static / Ozric Tentacles, you can not do it? Way to go to inspire something that might be cool and really good!!! :lol: As much as I am an asshole, your above comment was just assholeish.

And yeah as a tip, Mackayah, Check out Eat Static / Ozric, they are doing some cool stuff :)

I think you don't understand.

Jam bands make music spontaniously.

Psytrance is programed sequences that don't sound good if you just put any old thing down.

It's cool having a good synth with trancy sounds to play while the drummer and guitar are playing but I am thinking about the finished product.

There is nothing "assholeish" about my sharing my view from the other side of expirience.

But then when your covered in shit everything smells bad eh Nemo.

I'm not exactly looking for that programmed sound exactly. I want my keyboards and my computer and the parts of my form and know what sounds to use and how to use them when that part in the song comes. Maybe I'm speaking of the wrong genre, but I do want to here more "trance" style grooves in my music

Its not just any old thing we put down when song time comes. Just looking for tips here.

I think you don't understand.

Jam bands make music spontaniously.

Psytrance is programed sequences that don't sound good if you just put any old thing down.

It's cool having a good synth with trancy sounds to play while the drummer and guitar are playing but I am thinking about the finished product.

There is nothing "assholeish" about my sharing my view from the other side of expirience.

But then when your covered in shit everything smells bad eh Nemo.

I perfectly understood. And I know a COUPLE of Jambands that actually use pre-programmed sequences and JAM AROUND it. My mates in Sweden do a Psy-Electro-Dub JAM every friday for instance.

You are not covered in shit, and you do not smell like shit, your comment just smelled like shit. It sounded very wrong. But with the above CLARIFICATION, I would have to retract my comment to your first post, and apologize for my not so nice behavior :)

I perfectly understood. And I know a COUPLE of Jambands that actually use pre-programmed sequences and JAM AROUND it. My mates in Sweden do a Psy-Electro-Dub JAM every friday for instance.

You are not covered in shit, and you do not smell like shit, your comment just smelled like shit. It sounded very wrong. But with the above CLARIFICATION, I would have to retract my comment to your first post, and apologize for my not so nice behavior :)

we could all do with an apology from you here, hothead