Pandemonium! - Muinomednap!

frozen dream

Posted Image

We all know the infamous Filipe Santos and his hectic goa projects namely Lost Buddha, Amithaba Buddha, Ataraxia, Pandemonium! etc., etc

I' ve always really liked the old Lost Buddha tracks like in love with a goddess and those others available in mp3 downloads as well as the A Mad Scientist's Night EP of which I dj'ed those two tracks well more than once already. After the Metapsychic Records drama and attempts to ressurect a label himself again, finally a home has been found for Felipe and his long awaited Pandemonium! debut - Muinomednap! Phototropic Records from Austria clears the way for us and brings us his music sharply mastered and well-presented, now let's see if this album can live up to it's predecessing rouse!

1 Once Upon A Time... 1:11

Nice intro, overwhelming grandeur and majestic scenes come to my mind, with those gloomy bells! Nice! And the typical Pandemonium! sound creeps through, very promising start!

2 Pandemonium! 7:34

Alright, direct attack, hats roll and the kick starts. Familiar melody to AMSN ep plays, similar voice sample and guits kick it. More similar sounds to his previous tracks and even the melodies resemble heavily, it's almost as if i'm listening to a remix of either a mad scientist night or ali baba, "Is this some kind of joke" that same voice says! Then some nice acid sounds and yes, again a similar sound and melody to AMSN. Pretty empty and cheesy even hm, maybe skip to the next track...

3 Stuck In The Walls 7:06

This looks nice, acid sounds from the beginning, again a similar feel to it though. Samples hit at the same times, melodies resemble. Still a funky track though. Don't really like the guits. Again a very similar melody on the background now, sounds like it comes straight from ali baba, even the same synthsound is used. Sitarsamples are nice, then a nice piece with the flute! The rest seems to be more of my liking, agressive, fast riffs and not too much resembling melody structures. Then some nice flute solo finishes the track off. Not bad i'd say.

4 Moon Fishing 6:45

Gentle flute melody with a smashing kick, kinda weirda but after a while it kicks off, pretty trippy and gripping! Funky stuff a la Pandemonium. Again the circus synth but it's good, this is real carnival! Cool nitzo vibe!! Uses all the same sounds again but i really don't mind as it's good original stuff! Simple and effective melodies the way i want to hear them!

5 Falling Stars 7:10

Again that flute, but i guess the melody is ok, turn into a funky pounder quite quick like the others, again that similar sound and melody(AMSN), jezus, how many times again?? Then a new melody, yes, nice sounds!! Uplifting vibes and fluffy melodies with a mad scientist night playing in the background! Really cool stuff despite having it all heard before, it's more like a mind game now..

Again a similar atmo with that bell.. :rolleyes: next track

6 I Saw It Interlude 2:23

Hehe, suddenly some chilled beats :P sounds nice, dreamy flute melody, this is actually very nice! oriental ambient with some drums and acid riffs :drama: i'd like to hear a full album of these please! then somewhat aimlessly fades out (too soon) without a clear reason... :(

7 Flying Cookie 7:39

Back in Egypt in a second! And pounding already, yeppaa :posford: This is Lost Buddha time! Again, something you've heard before from this guy but you never get tired of! Acid sways in all directions, typical guit comes in, keeps on rockin. This is what the people want.

more hints to AMSN as they come but I guess by now i don't have to mention it anymore that this album creeps with resemblances to that ep. There's ali baba again :rolleyes: Flutes are nice tho' but then i've had it with Ali Baba and the 40 acid puzzle.

8 Seq-Uoia 7:29

Two sec intro and there we go on the same kickdrum again, same acid riff, and different pads. Sounds ok, despite it being all the same

9 Key To The Trunk 6:56

Ah, something a little different with all the old touches again... O_O will it ever stop??

10 An Harlequin's Tale 6:52

Wow, bizarro track with off-key beats or something, with the typical flutes again omg i can't take it anymore

11 The End... 3:25

Nice outro cinematics, if these are self-made. Oops there's ali baba again! Glad this is over.

3/10

Wow after hearing everything in an neverending echo I conclude this album is a downright *facepalm*

You've succesfully destroyed your own formula through extensive overusage.

Nice sounds and stuff but everything is exactly the same. The short interlude bits are the nicest thing on this album really! Every original part in all the dance tracks is hideously fucked up by that same recurring type of melody and synth who make it all sound exactly the same!! And now you even make my review sound all the same!!

I can imagine the true fans of Felipe out there to be wanting another serve of the same but this time i think i'll pass. I was eagerly hoping for a killer album and had the highest expectations but never has my opinion fell so low so fast...(the time of this review, i was listening the tracks for the first time as i wrote all of this)

Since I have A Mad Scientist's Night EP in wav i don't see any need to purchase this,

thank god the eventual hype didn't get to my head on this one! -_-

peace out

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry Strijder but I can't agree with you this time :P ...

There's tons of albums out there that got a very similar feeling and usage of keys during all tracks, and what do you expect after all?

If you wanna hear totally different stories on one piece of plastic, go buy a compilation. Besides, Filipe already proved us he can easily switch from one style to another, the guy has more faces than most Goa musicians did have in the past, just compare Lost Buddha 2005 to Amithaba Buddha 2008 or Pandemonium...I'm sure many people would easily be mislead by the different names and actually think it were different people. There's no clear link between Amithaba or Pandemonium, except for the fact that both are situated in the Goa/Psy spectrum.

Anyway, even with your review there, you could easily transform the 3 to a 5 or even a 6 without changing a heck in what you wrote ;)

You can't disagree with the fact that you like most of the tracks, assumed that they were brought to you in the coarse of many years and party's, even if it's too much resemblance for you on one album.

Of course I know your interpretation is welcome as well, nowadays it's hard to find an objective Goa reviewer, since the place is full of Suntrip/Cronomi/Phototrop/OIG people that could easily place their albums in front of your face, jelling that this one is honestly the best ;) -not judging anyone!!!-

Ok, enough said for too-day. I will make a review as well to show people that it's not soo bad as Stryder believes it is, hehe...

Catch you later!

I don't understand how you can review an album properly and rate 3/10

After reviewing for some time a proper review for an album needs > 20 times listen,

otherwise I don't feel like I can review it,

so you listened to an album you disliked > 20 times ?

and then reviewed it,

I don't get that, not wanting to criticize, each it's own style,

but when I listen to an album and the rate is 3/10 after a fifth listen I don't want to hear it anymore,

so how do you do that ? how do you get the proper information from an album,

sorry for the off topic,

haven't got the album yet, but I'm curious and I'm still am, agneton has a good taste so nothing is wasted yet :P

on topic,

looking forward to this release and will post comments laterz off course

I think this album deserves better then to be bashed like this, look at this album from a musical point of view,listen to the use of diminished chords etc thats not something anyone can do. For me this has very good arrangements applying real music theory to "goa" it has like verses and choruses, hooks, bridges etc listen to the melodies they talk! Anyone who has been on acid and has some form of passion for art or music would be able to comprehend whats going on here.

And dont listen to it in one run, let the music grow on you. For me the pad/string work in the Pandemonium! track is just my type of music i cant really explain why but i connect to it. For some people to make one good track like any track on this album is really difficult because they follow some trial and error pattern were they sometimes hit jackpot and sometimes got no luck at all, here Filipe clearly shows that he knows his formula by now.

But anyways each and everyone has their taste i wont blame anyone for not appreciating it but i would definately want to read a review by Jon Coco or someone who can do a bit more indepth review of this one. Also have in mind that this album was made quite a while ago.

If you think all tracks here were similar Stryder then i wonder what you thought of the older MFG albums and Astral Projection?

They used the same patches all over their albums, creating their signature sound.

i guess there's a difference between similarity and exactly the same, in this album it's exactly the same every time in every song, the same sound and melody, it's fucking retarded!!

You just proved why you arent the right person to do reviews around here :)

Good little word library you got there. Your way to explain things is really "smart" You sure are a good spammer around here, even funny at times but i cant really take you serious ;)

i'm just writing what i feel, can't be any "righter" imho, i thought this was gonna be a killer album, maybe that's why it turned into such a letdown, but yeah, can't help to feel this way after hearing it. i mean i rly tried to appreciate it but it's a no-go simply... it's not that i listened this album once from start to end but i skipped back and relistened and relistened... and then wrote my opinion... in all of the songs there are very original and unique sounding passages but they all are eventually joined by that same synthmelody who just turns it all off... :( just listen it goddamnit, you can't exactly miss it.

if you actually rate an album 3/10 you don't write such a big review about it,

I can write 5 reviews like those every day with all the crap coming out of psytrance,

but I don't,

if a review is written by an album it says a lot, if it's not is says 100 x more imo about the album...

I believe a review should be written by somebody who likes the album, and then people can give comments,

I said this one before, pavel didn't agree remember that,

I respect it,

but I'm thinking totally otherwise, it's what keeps the reviewing system balanced...

edit, any change to move this music section,

a decent topic imo...

Like I said, it's good to have some criticz around, but I still do not agree with you, friend stryder. The melodies aren't the same, most of them are in the same scale and there is indeed a rhythmic arrangement that sometimes returns, but the leads in Stuck In The Walls are in no way the same as in Sequoia, or Falling Stars, for example...different sounds, different melodies...just write them down in notes and you would see...

peace from brother agnet ;)

Although I agree with strydr about the production style being very formula structured, I don't agree about the review and I don't believe strydr is understanding and communicating the artist very well.

I too am a little disappointed by the lack of variety - however only talking about that is misunderstanding the artist and this very fresh and original style created by filipe. I think its a massive accomplishment that this kind of psychedelic energy is captured in a goa/nitzhonot style, yet is presented in the kind of energy full-on has today. This is really big dancefloor music, and is structured similarly so as to estalish this as a unique style rather than being percieved as expiramental nitzhonot or whatever. Yet at the same time I agree the lack of variety is very much an issue.

But overall this definitely is not deserving of a 3/10 rating.

I have listened through this album a few times but I need to wait longer to let the tracks and their impressions sink in, and maybe play a few of these tracks at parties before I might want to review this.

This album can be 5/10 - 7.5/10 depending on your taste and how well the music ages with time (whether it can be listened to more than 10 times and still remain interesting) It is too early to decide anything right now. As a first impression the music clearly is original and well produced. After multiple impressions it does dawn on you that too much remains the same from track to track - not to mention a tad cheesy... yet this is how you feel at home, how about on a dancefloor? These are things a reviewer needs to think about..

Also - once and for all will people please stfu and stop causing drama around this artist. Diaks stop argueing with Strydr because you disagree with him. I will seriously ask a moderator to remove these kinds of vibes from this topic if you are thinking of bickering and another 10 page waste of time results. Please review the album ONLY.

if you actually rate an album 3/10 you don't write such a big review about it,

I can write 5 reviews like those every day with all the crap coming out of psytrance,

but I don't,

if a review is written by an album it says a lot, if it's not is says 100 x more imo about the album...

I believe a review should be written by somebody who likes the album, and then people can give comments,

I said this one before, pavel didn't agree remember that,

I respect it,

but I'm thinking totally otherwise, it's what keeps the reviewing system balanced...

edit, any change to move this music section,

a decent topic imo...

I totally disagree about this. Look in some major magazines, there are plenty RATED reviews of releases. The reviews should be written by someone either: Who Likes, Who Dislikes or who is Neutral to the release. This review is as valid as any other review.

I totally disagree about this. Look in some major magazines, there are plenty RATED reviews of releases. The reviews should be written by someone either: Who Likes, Who Dislikes or who is Neutral to the release. This review is as valid as any other review.

I disagree, and I disagree with people who write it,

but I respect it like I said,

but I think totally otherwise 180 degrees I guess :D

that's makes the world go round and round ;)

and btw you're post is most focussed on the rating part considering magazines,

Rating is one thing, but writing a full review like this is something else imo :)

Do bigger magazines post full reviews like this ?

I disagree, and I disagree with people who write it,

but I respect it like I said,

but I think totally otherwise 180 degrees I guess :D

that's makes the world go round and round ;)

so you are saying a review HAS TO BE positive? That IMO is the biggest load of taurus crap that I have ever heard. :lol: If a person does not like it, and does not like it in a PROFESSIONAL and RESPECTFUL way then I see no wrong. But it is Psynews standard to write positive INITIAL reviews, which IMO really sucks.

so you are saying a review HAS TO BE positive? That IMO is the biggest load of taurus crap that I have ever heard. :lol: If a person does not like it, and does not like it in a PROFESSIONAL and RESPECTFUL way then I see no wrong. But it is Psynews standard to write positive INITIAL reviews, which IMO really sucks.

It's normal for ppl to write big reviews for albums they're enjoying, than spend an hour to write a review about an album they don't like at all.

I agree with you all the way, I'm just trying to justify the reason more (big) reviews are positive.

It's normal for ppl to write big reviews for albums they're enjoying, than spend an hour to write a review about an album they don't like at all.

I agree with you all the way, I'm just trying to justify the reason more (big) reviews are positive.

And please do not get me wrong, I do not agree with some of the wording like "Retarded" or "poo you!" which just makes Koen's points more valid, but I stand by my point that everyone should be able to write a negative, positive or neutral review.

Actually I agree with the review written to start with. I downloaded it (yes bad me, but I dont buy before try) and I deleted it 2 hours later. (Deep Wipe)

as you can see in the review section, -> all my reviews, including those *gib! reviews. and i've spent more than an hour on this one btw

And please do not get me wrong, I do not agree with some of the wording like "Retarded" or "poo you!" which just makes Koen's points more valid, but I stand by my point that everyone should be able to write a negative, positive or neutral review.

in a more decent way yes...

The album has the same "guitar" short sample running in the background with the same layout for almost all of the tracks, whats up with that? It annoys

(the fuck out of me)

the listener having to hear the same sound in the frequency throughout the whole album. It seems to be following the bassline in each track.

The tracks Pandenomium, Stuck In The Walls, Moon Fishing seem to be made out of the same track but just prolonged and cut? Moon fishing is lower-tempo then the 2 but it sounds the same. The very same synths and sounds are used, with hardly any new sounds in each track, as well as repeated note compositions.

The album really need better mastering on this one. The frequencies are all over the place, needs to be toned down a bit in the high-range. It causes ear fatigue over a period of time.

I can't really give out a good review of this album yet, it's unbearable to listen to without eq-ing those high tones. I'll try to give it another shot, but so far this is unimpressive work.

Interesting to see that so many people don't get the Pandemonium! concept.

About sound: Well sound quality is really not the best, its old Filipe work and with mastering its as good as it gets. There is no magic stick to turn it into supersounding stuff.

Anyway, please spare me your mastering comments like eq-ing, thats just stupid. Get better speakers and you'll see that sound is balanced.

Musically i think its one of the best albums of all time. I don't like the darker tracks (especially nr. 4), but Nr, 3,6,7,8 are great.

And my favorite is Seq-uoia, such a strong and beautiful track. I listened to it staight for 5 days when i got, it, the whole Ra album only lasted 4 days... now its almost a year that i know it and this track hasn't got any weaker, i start to get the feeling that this track is an infinite source of fun and beauty.

My impression is, apart from what is going on here that most of the complaints come from persons who downloaded the tracks that got stolen from Metapsychic and now are disappointed that there are no new tracks on this CD, but CDs are not made for people who download unreleased stolen tracks.

Also, i think some people will miss the good tracks (nr. 7 and the mentioned nr. 8) because they somewhat hidden on this CD.

Last comment: I don't really care what other people think about this album, i didn't release it for hype but because it contains tracks like Seq-uioa, and i think its the best Phototropic album so far, so there will be Pandemonium! album Nr. 2 even if you all rate this one 1/10.

digi

Good response harald,

I also know that the 2nd pan album has a lot more variety yet keeps the same message, energy and style, i'm not dissapointed by this artist and here with this album is the debut of this mad dancefloor energy.

There is always negative feedback for any music put out there, which can be sensitive to an artist or label who put so much effort and faith into putting a new sound out there. Dont' let this deter your spirit and keep releasing music. Clearly this stuff is much better than around 4 years ago, before goa had this upsurge in activity and fresh new visions...and people should really remember that. The style (goa) is expiramental, I'm glad that at the very least this music is a totally new sound.

The album really need better mastering on this one. The frequencies are all over the place, needs to be toned down a bit in the high-range. It causes ear fatigue over a period of time.

I can't really give out a good review of this album yet, it's unbearable to listen to without eq-ing those high tones. I'll try to give it another shot, but so far this is unimpressive work.

Really? :unsure:

I have no problem at all with the higher tones. I actually find the mastering pretty ok.