Ambient

abasio

Ambient  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of tracks do you like?

• Short Ambient Tracks
    • Long Ambient Tracks

I think you should update the poll question. It is two dualistic. How about a third option, which is the one I fall in:

3 - Song length doesn't matter.

nah! too many people can't make their minds up. I have to deal with them all day at work & it pisses me off. My polls don't have the cop out option. Choose long or short! If your feeling is 51% Short, 49% Long then choose Short ;)

Brian Eno created many short tracks that don't go anywhere. :)

Instead of building long and slowly evolving structures, his tracks instantly set a specific mood, take you to some place and after some minutes the tracks just fade out.... You can easily put them on repeat for some time and it doesn't bother at all.

But isn't that with any music? :rolleyes:

Ambient music should be listenable as background music, but can be complex when listening "in-depth" (Who am i quoting?)

Having said that, as long as there is some weird form of rhythm, I'm all ears, and will try to hear it through to the end... :)

And yes, I do prefer long ambient tracks. They especially need time to build up...

What´s this, I can´t get lost in bakcground music, I can´t think why ambient has such a wide range, for example Astral Projection - Ambient galaxy is called ambient however some apsolutely one synth tracks which go for 16 minutes are also ambient which have nothing to do with each other.

What´s this, I can´t get lost in bakcground music, I can´t think why ambient has such a wide range, for example Astral Projection - Ambient galaxy is called ambient however some apsolutely one synth tracks which go for 16 minutes are also ambient which have nothing to do with each other.

How is that cd?

I just know them from when they were selling their music on mp3.com

I always knew they would be popular.

But isn't that with any music? :rolleyes:

Ambient music should be listenable as background music, but can be complex when listening "in-depth" (Who am i quoting?)

Having said that, as long as there is some weird form of rhythm, I'm all ears, and will try to hear it through to the end... :)

And yes, I do prefer long ambient tracks. They especially need time to build up...

I think Brian Eno said something similar when he described what ambient was. As intreresting as it is ignorable or something like that.

Although i voted long i prefer them only when i go to bed. like steve roach .. or just enque tracks (krill minima) for eg which becomes a long track while sleeping. when im awake it totally depends on my mood , if im reading i prefer the long ones and if im just chilling on the computer then the length doesnt matter. a track can be equally entrancing even if its just three minutes short. so it all depends on the moment.

If it is really good then long, otherwise short as possible. :P

I prefer long ambient journeys.

I remember that I many years ago compiled CDs with 3 or 4 tracks, each of the tracks varying from 16 minutes to over 30 minutes in length. I threw in lots of other things apart from ambient, old goa stuff like Planet BEN Moksha Pleiadians and so on.

I'm sure it will come to a shock to many that I prefer the long ones. Growing up listening to Pink Floyd - Echoes and Shine On You Crazy Diamond will do that to you I guess.. :D

Dont' forget Meddle :) .

@abasio - But yeah... cool totally forget who it was.. thanks ;)

If I had a gun to head (maybe hold by abasio) I would choose the long ones... :P

putting it another way if the had to choose between long and short tracks for the rest of my life I would choose long tracks for sure...

For me the short tracks usually works on me as a small passage while long tracks is a journey! That doesn't mean I don't like short tracks, but really, for me a real ambient journey can only be done by a track over a certain length 8min and above (preferably over 10min, well it depends off course).

I admit I found looong ambient/synth pieces hard to digest when I first heard this type of music. And some stuff is still too minimal/boring for me.

The thing is, if you give the music some more spins, you will get used to long-form music. You'll see the bigger picture and won't get annoyed by the repetitive aspects anymore. Only when you are a patient and persistent listener, only when you give it some time to get used to the length, the repetition and the slowly evolving structures, only then you can begin to discover what the music is really about.

I admit I found looong ambient/synth pieces hard to digest when I first heard this type of music. And some stuff is still too minimal/boring for me.

The thing is, if you give the music some more spins, you will get used to long-form music. You'll see the bigger picture and won't get annoyed by the repetitive aspects anymore. Only when you are a patient and persistent listener, only when you give it some time to get used to the length, the repetition and the slowly evolving structures, only then you can begin to discover what the music is really about.

I am not a patient listener at all, I can´t dig the long repretive ambient peaces.

I am not a patient listener at all, I can´t dig the long repretive ambient peaces.

I understand but I can't help but feel sorry for you. You are missing so much by being such a shallow listener.

I said in another thread that Bus's tracks would be to subtle for you & it's because you are not a patient listener. Gus Till under his Slinky Wizard moniker made great instantly gratifying music, but later on he crafter equally great but more subtle focussed music that I don't think you would be able to get into. You need a pair of head phones, a lack of distractions & time to focus to understand long ambient, minimal psy trance or old progressive music. Probably this will come with time as when I was your age I didn't dig it at all, but with the stresses of life it became much more accessible now I love diving deep into some long ambient journeys that take me away & keep me in that other world longer than just a few minutes.