Overlap - Biosphere [2007] Planet B.E.N. Records

Klaxer

Posted Image

Moscow duo Overlap was formed in 2001 by two independent musicians and sound engineers Michael Puchkov (Neogen) and Vyacheslav Bogachev (1/2 Neoris / Breakpoint / Shogo Buzz ). The artists have become acquainted with each other in the internet a year before and after meeting in one of the private parties decided to unite their skills and acquired experience into united band. The work was iniciated as a cooperation of Neoris and Neogen and as a result the name Overlap Project was invented. Later, fop the purpose of conciseness and easier memorizing the word Project was reduced. Overlap is an efficient way to evaluate the discrete convolution between a very long signal with a finite impulse response. According to the words of one of the participants, the name itself came spontaneously in a result of work with one of the algorithms of sequencer. The first tracks of Overlap brought with themselves ideas of night' and progressive techno sound. They were oriented to the actual psy-tech sound. A similar sound that time was developed by X-Dream / The Delta, who invented the term "digital techno". In Russia this style , for the first time ever, was promoted by Overlap and also some other artists (FUZZION, Weird Walker, Cybered). That is to say, they had become forming units of Moscow's dark psychedelic scene.

Posted Image

Album Biosphere, released by German label Planet B.E.N. was recorded in the entirely different manner of the execution comparing to the first album and earlier works of Overlap. In distinction from 6th Sense (Z.M.A. Records) the new album is performed in European neofullon sound with the elements of time-proved old-school psychedelic trance. Harmonic union of tough kick and pumping rubber bass-lines, acid themes, melancholic solos of the primary synthesiser areas, and sampled unearthy phrases from famous horror films create an atmosphere of mainstream dance-thriller. Every track is infiltrated with the ideas of the XX century trance parties and music, which was popular in Goa and was promoted by many famous labels, such as TIP Records, 3D Vision, Spirit Zone Recordings and many others. Biosphere seems to be an embodiment of old ideas with the help of modern hard- and software equipment - liking or disliking of this concept is left to the listener. The main parts of Biosphere, according to the worlds of project participants, are tracks 3, 4 and 7. These works, if to listen it carefully, create proper impression and soundscape of their current music preferences. Dynamic links bass-kick, together with tense themes, interlace curiously with veins of western horror films (Silent Hill, Saw 3, Final Destination 3). As for my own opinion, I also found attractive tracks 1, 5, 8 and 9, where a dashing bass-line is combined efficiently with percussion and neatly elected sound effects. All the details of the album compositions are distinct and pearly throughout. The guys from Overlap are good sound engineers - the sound quality is crystal and highly professional. Biosphere is equally well listened in a small walkman and on a big dancefloors. The last track is worth mentioning in particular. Season of Winds is the only chilling track in the album, and it was written with the help of Shogo Buzz. Shogo Buzz is a band, where Vyacheslav takes part together with another Rissian musician, Denis Spiridonov. They determine their music as "experimental psychedelics". Season of winds is truly experimental and psychedelic: non-trivial break-beat, reasonably twisted themes of ductile melodies, submerging in a rich syrup of dub bass-line, and devices of 8-beat scene perfectly crown the album.

In conclusion one could say that Biosphere is a rare work of Russian artists, especially for the western countries. Russian psy scene is still infirm in this concrete segment and this release is a big event for all lovers of European psychedelic trance music.

Tracklist:

01. Power System

02. Dangerous Jungle

03. Silient Hill

04. Make Your Choice

05. Angry Person

06. Cube

07. Biosphere

08. Take Off

09. Air Brazil

10. Season of Winds (feat. Shogo Buzz)

[c] & [p] 2007 Planet B.E.N. Records

Original russian text.

• 9 years later...

overlap_small.jpg

Moscow duo Overlap was formed in 2001 by two independent musicians and sound engineers Michael Puchkov (Neogen) and Vyacheslav Bogachev (1/2 Neoris / Breakpoint / Shogo Buzz ). The artists have become acquainted with each other in the internet a year before and after meeting in one of the private parties decided to unite their skills and acquired experience into united band. The work was iniciated as a cooperation of Neoris and Neogen and as a result the name Overlap Project was invented. Later, fop the purpose of conciseness and easier memorizing the word Project was reduced. Overlap is an efficient way to evaluate the discrete convolution between a very long signal with a finite impulse response. According to the words of one of the participants, the name itself came spontaneously in a result of work with one of the algorithms of sequencer. The first tracks of Overlap brought with themselves ideas of night' and progressive techno sound. They were oriented to the actual psy-tech sound. A similar sound that time was developed by X-Dream / The Delta, who invented the term "digital techno". In Russia this style , for the first time ever, was promoted by Overlap and also some other artists (FUZZION, Weird Walker, Cybered). That is to say, they had become forming units of Moscow's dark psychedelic scene.

pbr1cd021_b.jpg

Album Biosphere, released by German label Planet B.E.N. was recorded in the entirely different manner of the execution comparing to the first album and earlier works of Overlap. In distinction from 6th Sense (Z.M.A. Records) the new album is performed in European neofullon sound with the elements of time-proved old-school psychedelic trance. Harmonic union of tough kick and pumping rubber bass-lines, acid themes, melancholic solos of the primary synthesiser areas, and sampled unearthy phrases from famous horror films create an atmosphere of mainstream dance-thriller. Every track is infiltrated with the ideas of the XX century trance parties and music, which was popular in Goa and was promoted by many famous labels, such as TIP Records, 3D Vision, Spirit Zone Recordings and many others. Biosphere seems to be an embodiment of old ideas with the help of modern hard- and software equipment - liking or disliking of this concept is left to the listener. The main parts of Biosphere, according to the worlds of project participants, are tracks 3, 4 and 7. These works, if to listen it carefully, create proper impression and soundscape of their current music preferences. Dynamic links bass-kick, together with tense themes, interlace curiously with veins of western horror films (Silent Hill, Saw 3, Final Destination 3). As for my own opinion, I also found attractive tracks 1, 5, 8 and 9, where a dashing bass-line is combined efficiently with percussion and neatly elected sound effects. All the details of the album compositions are distinct and pearly throughout. The guys from Overlap are good sound engineers - the sound quality is crystal and highly professional. Biosphere is equally well listened in a small walkman and on a big dancefloors. The last track is worth mentioning in particular. Season of Winds is the only chilling track in the album, and it was written with the help of Shogo Buzz. Shogo Buzz is a band, where Vyacheslav takes part together with another Rissian musician, Denis Spiridonov. They determine their music as "experimental psychedelics". Season of winds is truly experimental and psychedelic: non-trivial break-beat, reasonably twisted themes of ductile melodies, submerging in a rich syrup of dub bass-line, and devices of 8-beat scene perfectly crown the album.

In conclusion one could say that Biosphere is a rare work of Russian artists, especially for the western countries. Russian psy scene is still infirm in this concrete segment and this release is a big event for all lovers of European psychedelic trance music.

N66O3FC.gif

Mind. Exploded.

Forget all the grammar and misspellings.  English is not the first language for a lot of people.  It is mine however and one area my American education did succeed in was to give me fairly good reading comprehension.  After reading and then re-reading, and then taking a shot of Irish whiskey and watching the dog lick her anus for 15 minutes I've come to the conclusion that whoever authored this parable was high as f*ck.

This review is like the instructions for a damn Ikea Cd case.  There were a lot of words shoved in there seemingly to prove that they knew those words.  If you would permit me to write this review so that it may be presented in a more clear manner.

While there are some cool sounds to be found here this Russian duo has successfully made a full-on album of the highest vanilla order.

See?  Not so difficult.  Just take your check, hit the pub, stagger home drunk, and pass out while your dog licks your face.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's pretty much what a Russian who learned English in school but never had an actual chance to communicate in it would come up with. When I'm trying to write long texts in English they also look like that (e.g. the previous sentence). 

Still I believe most people should have better things to do in their lives than finding a 9-year old review just to accuse the reviewer of bad English.

As for the music itself I agree that it is technically well made but pretty generic and forgettable.

Still I believe most people should have better things to do in their lives than finding a 9-year old review just to accuse the reviewer of bad English.

Why assume that? I'm sure T2MU simply found the music and wanted to comment on it and then stumbled on this old review...

I'm not familiar with this one, but I very much liked their "6th sense" from 2004:

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/7542-overlap-6th-sense-zma-records-2003-cd-full-review/