Compression Reference

At a friends house, I found a chart that he had written down on a white-board. By the time that I came there the next time, he had wiped it (as he was no longer using it, DOH!) so I couldnt copy it. It looked very cool and nicely done.

Do you guys have any links to such reference charts?

Regards,

Nemo

I don't get it, reference to what?

Vocal fast 0.5 sec 2:1 - 8:1 soft -3-8 db

Loud vocal fast 0.3 sec 4:1 - 10:1 hard - 5-15 db

Acoustic Git'r 5-10 ms 0.5 sec 5:1 - 10:1 soft/hard 5-15 db

Lecky Guitar 2-5 ms 0.5 sec 8:1 - 10:1 hard 5-15 db

Kik & Snare 1-3 ms 0.2 sec 5:1 - 10:1 hard 5-15 db

Bass 1-10 ms 0.5 sec 4:1 - 12:1 hard 5-15 db

Mix fast 0.4 sec 2:1 - 6:1 soft 2-10 db

General fast 0.5 sec 5:1 soft 2-10 db

These are by no means fixed rules you must adhere to...but rather good starting points ....Don't be afraid to experiment ...often, a horrendously compressed piece of audio can give a very dramatic effect .......Compression as with other FX, is very much a listening choice.....Try starting with these figures, & then adjust things until it sounds right .....Always check the sound in context of the mix as well ....Often people only check the compression in solo ......Things can sound quite different once the sound is in place in the mix.

for the lazy ones that is :)

Oh, now see, that's absolutely the wrong way to go about using compression.

First off, only use compression on tracks that need it. Second, never mix by numbers! Mix by sound! Which requires learning how to use a compressor, so you can achieve the sound you want.

Never mix by numbers! (Or sight, for that matter) :)

Oh, now see, that's absolutely the wrong way to go about using compression.

First off, only use compression on tracks that need it. Second, never mix by numbers! Mix by sound! Which requires learning how to use a compressor, so you can achieve the sound you want.

Never mix by numbers! (Or sight, for that matter) :)

Im NOT talking about overall compression. I am talking about compresssion on single drum hits etc :) Doesnt matter, I found what I looked for, and it helps a lot setting up the basic settings in my Digital mixer ;)

I agree that it's nice to have a reference, especially since my memory sucks when it comes to knowing the proper ranges for particular instruments. And then, yeah, doing the rest by ear is a good idea.

i created presets for bass, lead etc..

no need for a chart and no need for a memory :rolleyes:

i created presets for bass, lead etc..

no need for a chart and no need for a memory :rolleyes:

cn sum1 halp plz i maek prezet compresin for 1 lead but i use it on anothr quietr lead + it sounds difrnt why dos it sounds difrnt if the prezet is the saem?

cn sum1 halp plz i maek prezet compresin for 1 lead but i use it on anothr quietr lead + it sounds difrnt why dos it sounds difrnt if the prezet is the saem?

Yes yes, but when having a digital mixer, its nice to have them stored as a STARTING point, wouldnt you agree? :)

Nemo

Yes yes, but when having a digital mixer, its nice to have them stored as a STARTING point, wouldnt you agree? :)

Nemo

No. To my mind there is absolutely no point in starting with a preset if you'll be tweaking every parameter. If you really want to learn how compression works, the best idea is to start from scratch each time.

No. To my mind there is absolutely no point in starting with a preset if you'll be tweaking every parameter. If you really want to learn how compression works, the best idea is to start from scratch each time.

But but but, I can store up to 99 Presets on each channel. :) besides that, you are going to mix all my tracks, and then master them, so.... ;):lol:

you are going to mix all my tracks, and then master them, so.... ;):lol:

Better give me your FTP details then, and start uploading. PM me with your first offer for how the financial side might work.

Better give me your FTP details then, and start uploading. PM me with your first offer for how the financial side might work.

First I finish the album hehe, and then I will start uploading :)