Another "Full-On" Genre Question...

healium

Okay I had it explained to me once before - but what is the difference between "full-on" and non-goa style psytrance?

It has to do with the bassline and kick being very prominent or something?

I get the impression that full-on means simpler music, less layered and psychedelic - sort of an in-between from club trance-psytrance

The thing is, I don't think I like the full-on, but what I REALLY don't like is a lot of the classic goa, with that obnoxious and relentless kick/bass and the tinny, high-pitched melodies - think Pleiadians IFO or Astral Projection - it's just too fast and unchanging for me, too driving... Classic goa always sounds so "frantic" - thats the way I would characterize it, so urgent and rushing ahead...

So I'm trying to think what I DO really like, and that is a lot of what I call "psytrance" - stuff like Hallucinogen, Logic Bomb, Sandman, Koxbox (before the most recent album), Hux-Flux (before the most recent album), Infected Mushroom (before the most recent album), Nystagmus, Reefer Decree...

What is Infected Mushroom "Classical Mushroom" considered in terms of genre, for instance? That's not full-on is it? I know it's not what I would call classic goa...

What is it about "full-on" excatly that people don't like (if they don't)?

i think you are desperately trying to find a category for the stuff you like, which spreads over different sub categories i won't bother naming... mostly because nobody is really sure, you know. There isn't a definitive book where you can find hux flux, filed under x or z category...

from what you have there though, many people would consider halluciongen the epitome of what Goa was at some point. Think Astrix and you have the definition of full on along with 90% of what came out of israel in those days and still does... even though more diversity is showing up lately.

at the end, just get what you like, enjoy it and as more things start showing up and you hear different things those differences might become more visible. They might not, is not something to loose sleep over... :)

Usually full on is characterized by the 'rolling' bass used in both night and day oriented tracks. Sadly in many cases it is generic but in some not. It is very close with psychedelic which came after goa by labels as Spirit Zone, early 3D Vision etc.

Right on, no I'm not losing sleep over it - it's more that when I read a review and someone says "this is full-on", I'd like to know sort of what that means...

If it just has a rolling bassline to make it different why would people dislike it so much?

The old-school goa bassline are often completely boring IMO - they often don't even have a bassline, it's just a kick drum sound, and generally that same "oonch oonch oonch oonch" sounding kick drum at that...

In my opinion, I consider I classify the subcataories of "psy" based upon mood and environment they create. Full-On, in my opinion has energetic, almost attacking sort of mood which is niether "happy" nor "sad", but indifferent. Full On usually has simpler melodies (by "simpler" I mean more repetative and "easy" to remember, analogous to the hook of a pop song). IMO, "psytrance" can have any mood, but has "odd", "erie" or "weird" undertones or environments. Psytrance tracks also can have more complex melodies; ones I might not be able to remember exactly in my head [[Younger Brother, Hux Flux, Haltya, etc...]] OR possibly might contain many chapters(for the lack of a better word) with varying themes [[think Infected Mushroom - The Messenger]]. Goa, on the other hand, has minimal melody , imo, and is usually pretty monotonous, kindof like droning with variations in beat and synth choice. I love them all though.

In my opinion, I consider I classify the subcataories of "psy" based upon mood and environment they create. Full-On, in my opinion has energetic, almost attacking sort of mood which is niether "happy" nor "sad", but indifferent. Full On usually has simpler melodies (by "simpler" I mean more repetative and "easy" to remember, analogous to the hook of a pop song). IMO, "psytrance" can have any mood, but has "odd", "erie" or "weird" undertones or environments. Psytrance tracks  also can have more complex melodies; ones I might not be able to remember exactly in my head [[Younger Brother, Hux Flux, Haltya, etc...]]  OR possibly might contain many chapters(for the lack of a better word) with varying themes [[think Infected Mushroom - The Messenger]]. Goa, on the other hand, has minimal melody , imo, and is usually pretty monotonous, kind of like droning with variations in beat and synth choice. I love them all though.

624827[/snapback]

Excellent description!

:)

Me too, I love them all... there's nothing else like it!

:D

When reading reveiews where people say it is full-on you might have to take into account when it was written or by who. I remember a time when full-on just meant a very energetic, fast paced stomping beat! GNOTR was called full-on for example. But nowadays & especially on this forum, if someone says it's full-on then it's usually to describe the generic, israeli pop trance that is passing for psy these days :ph34r: