Old school nostalgia

Trolsk

When ever there are discussions about old school psychedelic trance I get the feeling that we're nostalgic about different things so I thought this pool might give us an understanding about what it actually is that we are nostalgic about.

Personally, I like both styles, but my preference is mainly towards the twisted properties of old school psytrance.

Btw, I define old school as psytrance released until 1999.

My feelings of nostalgia come mostly from the feeling of excitement and newness that the music gave me when I was first hearing it, rather than a particular style/sound. When I hear something like Total Eclipse - Waiting For a New Life, I don't think "Hey, this is an awesome track!" so much as I flash back to the first times I heard the track on a random copied tape a friend of mine had (one of the two times in my life when I can literally pinpoint a major mental shift), and the first time I finally ran across the a CD in the store that had the track, after months of searching. I don't "miss" the sound, because I still have all of the CDs in my collection and can pull them out anytime I want. B) I do look back fondly on the time of my life when I was first discovering old-skool goa, so I get those nostalgic feelings from that whole experience, rather than a particular sound.

But I guess my first exposure was to more melodic sounds (I don't think there was very much twisted stuff out there yet in '95/96?), so the short answer to your question would have to be melodic style. ;)

Guest Rezwalker

the melodic style.

592281[/snapback]

+1

plus Flying rhino/Dragonfly/Transient releases

as for twisted nothing special generally imo compared with the above labels.

both, but i enjoy the twisted style more.

no hallucinogen though, don't really like it. these tracks make you think wow, these are some really cool sounds, but i wouldn't freak out on the dancefloor.

i like melodic and groovy in the morning such as transwave, it just sounds like a train and u have to get on it :P i don't really like some asia2001 or pleiadians tracks, it's a bit OTT and the sound is just too "dry". perfect example of melodic morning trance i enjoy is phreaky - over the moon. funky shizzle.

but most of all i like the dark 'n twisted releases, to be played at night.....fast, lots of 303, lots of atmosphere, sneaky, crawly, juicy and tons of crrrazy sounds, twitches, hops and bops. NASTY MUSIC

perfect example would be

green nuns of the revolution - megallenic cloud, alienated - not for children, slide - saturnalia -especially this one :)

cya!

Guest Rezwalker

perfect example would be

green nuns of the revolution - megallenic cloud

592345[/snapback]

Green nuns of the revolution :D it was giant project for me (and not only for me) :)

it's the mysticism and the pure feeling that was overloaded in the melodic style

and the real psychedelia in the psychedelic if you get me.

BUT mainly it was the story...most tracks had something to say...something different...the diversity was there.(of course there were many crappy releases)

goa brought a certain feeling and spirit with it's music productions under this style.

this feeling is gone...

most of all i like the dark 'n twisted releases, to be played at night.....fast, lots of 303, lots of atmosphere, sneaky, crawly, juicy and tons of crrrazy sounds, twitches, hops and bops. NASTY MUSIC

perfect example would be

green nuns of the revolution - megallenic cloud, alienated - not for children, slide - saturnalia -especially this one :)

no need to say more :)

whats this shit with derango man? i havent even heard a single track from him,but i keep seeing his name popping up EVERYWHERE! whats the deal? :huh:

592465[/snapback]

the thing is - you have to give it a listen, and then one more, and after that one more, untill you start to hear noises inside your head :ph34r:

seriously, you could try derango - tumult, album :)

edited :D

Guest Rezwalker

the thing is - you have to give it a listen, and then one more, and after that one more, untill you start to hear noises inside your head :ph34r:

seriously, you could try derango - tumult, album :)

edited :D

592469[/snapback]

:lol: reger show a little mercy to ritual om...he is a good guy :P

whats this shit with derango man? i havent even heard a single track from him,but i keep seeing his name popping up EVERYWHERE! whats the deal? :huh:

592465[/snapback]

the deal is that they make top notch psychedelic music nothing more than that,but some people just see it as random noise,what the fuck is up with that.

i guess somebody would describe it  as twisted,dark,demented sliide-ish style just with new approach,no? :P  :lol:

592481[/snapback]

jea, well somebody really wrong IMO

slide puts a story in his tracks.

i've listened their album, i heard them live at the boom. to me their performance was one hour of "wow, that's a really cool sound" or "hey, nice bassline". but i couldn't recognize one track from another. 1 hour non-stop intelligent blips and blops. but no story to it......... the only track i kind of like is secret surroundings, maybe it's because it isn't such a mess as everything else?

if you want to compare derango with goatrance artists, i think that their music comes very close to what hallucinogen is/was doing. but please, no slide. derango has absolutely no funkyness, or structure.

to me derango tracks are just a soup of weird sounds. a spicy soup allright. no dancing music.

on-topic now :P

another great example of slinky nasty tunes is

quirk - dimension disco

funky goa tunes for the win!

did i say it was?

all i'm telling is yes i like their sound, i like their twitches and whatever, but their have no story to it, it gets boring very easily IMO

but hey, isn't there a 'official derango appreciation thread' for you guys? derango has absolutely nothing to do with pre 2000 music, even if some of you guys think it sounds like goatrance -and you might be right about that, but that's not what we're talking about here.:) no offence intented