V/A - Psy Stories 2

DeathPosture

V/A – Psy Stories 2

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Psy Stories 2 (Parvati Records Advisory: Explicit Psychedelic)

Format: CD (digipack)

Label: Parvati Records (Denmark)

Cat. #: PRVCD12

Distribution: Wirikuta

Date: 01 June 2006

Track listing:

01. 07’51” Psilo Cowboys – Sneaky Vibes

02. 09’18” Derango - Oscilla

03. 09’16” Hokus Pokus – Rock On

04. 07’25” Red Eye Jedi – RP5

05. 08’04” Encephalopaticys – Intellectual Homons

06. 07’38” Galaxy Madness – Parvati Cream

07. 07’41” Atriohm – No Name Channels

08. 07’57” Phonic Request & Akhoa – Bee People Abduction

09. 07’45” Kindzadza & Kaliflower – Viva Tempo

10. 06’57” Tsabeat - Magletcha

Review:

Gob smacking trip tales pt. 2

Danish power house label Parvati Records is out with their 12th release following the brilliant debut album Mad Different Methods from Naked Tourist - which was released in January 2006. The first Psy Stories compilation was released in October 2005 – and what a release that was! It’s still rated as the BEST Parvati release in my book, so when it turned out to be a running series I was extremely ecstatic… When I saw the track list, there was no turning back – I creamed my pants! After I washed them, I received the CD, put it on and creamed them again… So now I’m wearing rubber undies writing this… Just in case…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Psilo Cowboys – Sneaky Vibes [149 BPM]

“He’s been injected with an opium overdose. Couldn’t move or feel much of anything! … What’s your name? My name is ‘very fucking confused’, what’s your name? What’s going on here?” Psilo Cowboys is an ancient Danish project by Roelike Jahbo (Jahbo/Meteloids/etc) and Thy Trung (Mussy Moody). This constellation hasn’t released anything since their track on the very first Parvati compilation First Step released five years ago! Naturally the sound has matured a great deal since then, and especially Jahbo has been involved in some jaw-droppingly amazing stuff since then… Anyway, this track is just what I’d hoped for – absolutely fucking soaked in twirling acid-lines, fragmented rhythm pads and several other trip tools… The Saw samples work really well here, and generally this is a brilliant tune… Great start!

#02: Derango – Oscilla [147 BPM]

Swedish studio enigmas Jens Eriksson & Ola Eriksson released their absolutely amazing debut album TuMuLT on Inpsyde Media in the fall of 2005 – and their track on the 2006 Sanaton Audio compilation Sanatonic Audio was just as immensely trippy and super psychedelic as the stuff on the album… This track is perhaps even more psychedeliKk – the acid-lines are tweaked beyond recognition and the demented melodies are literally radiating nuclear shock waves which will penetrate your brain and FUCK you up! And the best part is that it’s all made in such a subtle, noble fashion… It’s subtle psychedelia! Lovely!

#03: Hokus Pokus – Rock On [148 BPM]

Danish producers Anders Eskildsen & Christian Kaas Andersen (Dronebixie) had excellent tracks on both the first Psy Stories compilation and the above mentioned Sanatonic Audio. Talented guys for sure! As with their older tracks, this is subtle, held-back night trance that never gets too full-blown… That might seem like an odd observation with a track that runs @ 148 BPM, but it’s true nevertheless… This is bubbling, playful and rippling psytrance with a very special atmosphere – and in that regard this works better as a transition tool for DJs than as a dancefloor track… Not among the frontrunners on this compilation. It’s still pretty damn trippy though…

#04: Red Eye Jedi – RP5 [150 BPM]

Stephanus Smit from Denmark spelled his artist name Red i Jedeye on the first Psy Stories compilation – and now he spells it Red Eye Jedi. But despite the name change, Stephanus can still whoop up a mean old bassline in an old-school inspired psychedelic stomper of a track… The intensity level is very high here, and perhaps even a little too intense in the first part of the track… It evens out very nicely after the break down though – and the last half of this track is just pure tripalicious psychedelia… Kick-ass!

#05: Encephalopaticys – Intellectual Homons [149 BPM]

Behind the cryptic moniker Encephalopaticys is Vasko Velickovski from Macedonia. I’m only familiar with one of his previous tracks – the wonderful one on the 2005 Xilium Records compilation Over Identity… Just like that one, this is an extremely hard-hitting, fast-paced, über-dark track… The bassline is pounding away at an incredible speed and if it wasn’t for the surrounding FX it would have bored me to death… But this is Parvati Records after all, so luckily we’re treated to an influx of trippy FX, twists, turns, bleeps, bloops and tons of tweaked synth experimentation… It’s all fine and dandy, but somehow I still think this track is missing something… The X-factor is not present… It’s not a bad track at all – unfortunately it’s not as memorable as I’d hoped for either… But hey, it’s just because the competition is SO fierce on this compilation. This would easily have been a stand-out track on an average compilation.

#06: Galaxy Madness – Parvati Cream [148 BPM]

Galaxy Madness is Suguru Akita – an upcoming artist from Japan who had a track on the infamous Phenix compilation released by Phreex Network in late 2005. And trust me – all subtly is long gone now… This is 100% in-your-face, wall-to-wall maximum night trance… Simple at first, but soon evolves into a raging monster that devours everything in sight… Holy trout – this is so freakishly intense despite its often monotonous nature… Usually I would oppose against music like this, but somehow I’m drawn in by it. Completely hypnotized! I’m turning Japanese! Genki! … Smashing track! Very original!

#07: Atriohm – No Name Channels [147 BPM]

Everything I’ve heard from Leonid & Aleksandar Golcev from Macedonia has been above average quality… These guys are very talented, and this track underlines that fact once again… From the rusty, crackling intro to the spot-on sequencing and cleverly placed trip tools scattered all over this vicious track… This is eerie, haunting and very industrial-sounding stuff… But most importantly, the psychedelic edge is kept intact… Sweet!

#08: Phonic Request & Akhoa – Bee People Abduction [148 BPM]

Wilfried Decaesteker (Phonic Request) and Olivier Charpier (Akhoa) have been in cahoots on a number of releases on different labels… I really like their humorous take on psytrance which kinda simplifies this nocturnal music, which can often come across as a little pretentious with all the darkness and acid all over the place….And sure enough, this track also relies on a little comic relief. Like the sampled bees used in the intro and several other places in the track… And it works really well – you really do get the feeling that you’re among those fascinating insects when listening to this somewhat claustrophobic track… It’s simple but effective! Beeeeeeeuitiful!

#09: Kindzadza & Kaliflower – Viva Tempo [149 BPM]

Russian producer Leo Greshilov (Kindzadza) is a Parvati regular – and among the most productive frontrunners of the so-called darkpsy artist pool… On this track he’s joined by some Russian dude only credited as Dasha (Kaliflower) and AFAIK this is his debut release… Anyway, this is a monstrous track – right from the massive electro-soaked intro the power level goes thru the roof! Energetic, relentless, propane-injected hyper trance that will appeal equally to dancers and sofa trancers… I like the sharp contrast between electro and trip-tastic psytrance – as well as the sheer level of energy… Often energetic music tends to loose focus, but that’s not the case here – fortunately! This is just pure, psychedelic night trance… Awesome!

#10: Tsabeat – Magletcha [147 BPM]

Israeli producer Elad Weinberg kinda scared me with his demented almost drill&bass-like track on the Mistress Of Evil compilation Trauma Trance released in late 2005… And this track is another extremely hardcore tour de force into the deepest, darkest and weirdest realms of hyper trance… But damn, it TOTALLY works here! If you’re the kind of pervert that takes your psytrance über dark, totally twisted and extremely hardcore, well then this track will send you straight to heaven… I like most of what I hear here – but admittedly some parts are still too damn intense even for me… But generally this is very interesting and it’s destined to send chock waves thru the trance floors this summer!

Another fan-fucking-tastic Parvati release! That’s right, I might sound like the biggest whore around, but when it comes to Parvati there is never a dull moment or a mediocre release! This is top-drawer stuff from the leading label in hyper trance! And yes, that means more creamed pants!

It’s only natural to compare this with the first Psy Stories compilation – and after some careful consideration and judgement, I can conclude that Psy Stories 2 is *almost* as good as Psy Stories which wins only by a nose hair… But that one is gonna be VERY hard to top, as it’s definitely my fav’e Parvati release ever! Anyway, with only a couple of minor gripes, this compilation is packed with hard-hitting, gut-wrenching, jaw-dropping psytrance… Trippy as ever and totally danceable!

The cover art by Batunn is lovely, and whilst the parental advisory sticker gag perhaps is a little outdated, it doesn’t ruin the impression of another high quality Parvati release! Well done! An essential purchase for any dedicated fan of relentless, nocturnal and trippy psytrance… Nuff said! Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2(!), 4, 6(!!), 7, 8, 9(!), 10

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Parvati Records: http://www.parvati-records.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/699332

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/nzaqh

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/rw76m

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/mes6o

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/roufu

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/qe55c

V/A – Psy Stories 2

#09: Kindzadza & Kaliflower – Viva Tempo [149 BPM]

Russian producer Leo Greshilov (Kindzadza) is a Parvati regular – and among the most productive frontrunners of the so-called darkpsy artist pool… On this track he’s joined by some Russian dude only credited as Dasha Kaliflower) and AFAIK this is his debut release…  Anyway, this is a monstrous track – right from the massive electro-soaked intro the power level goes thru the roof! Energetic, relentless, propane-injected hyper trance that will appeal equally to dancers and sofa trancers… I like the sharp contrast between electro and trip-tastic psytrance – as well as the sheer level of energy… Often energetic music tends to loose focus, but that’s not the case here – fortunately! This is just pure, psychedelic night trance… Awesome!

Dude, Dasha is a female name :)

And the track isn't too innovative IMHO

I didn't like Atriohm either.

Other than these two, a KILLARGH disc :)

• 2 weeks later...

Compilation: Psy Stories II

Label: Parvati Records

Web: http://www.parvati-records.com/

CAT: PRVCD12

SE.net: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/258/2/

01 - Psilo Cowboys – Sneaky Vibes [149]

02 - Derango - Oscilla [147]

03 - Hokus Pokus – Rock On [148]

04 - Red Eye Jedi – RP5 [150]

05 - Encephalopaticys – Intellectual Homon [149]

06 - Galaxy Madness – Parvati Cream [148]

07 - Atriohm – No Name Channels [147]

08 - Phonic Request & Akhoa – Bee People Abduction [148]

09 - Kindzadza & Kaliflower – Viva Tempo [149]

10 - Tsabeat - Magletcha [147]

I faintly remember the night my story began. Before the sample from Grapes of Wrath had finished, Psy Stories I was already underway to my doorstep. I needed to hear no further evidence - the internal sixth sense was at play here, or so I thought. Music wise it proved useful for a couple of weeks but despite big names and attractive collaborations, the interest hooks eroded in warped ramblings and impenetrable material. Psy Stories II relies a bit more on new talent returning from the first installment, coupled with fresh faces and a number of sure shot artists that suggest this might be a different approach to story telling

( 1 ) I had never encountered the psilo-kids before in my journeys, so the mixture of Jahbo with Mussy in the pot aids the situation, building an intricate atmosphere while Thy cranks up the synth’s, that is after all what she does best. Insane tweaking and foreign sounds from the Danish landscape of warped Psychedelia.

( 2 ) Derango is back from the first Psy Stories saga with Oscilla, that is kind of like Godzilla without the superiority complex. Inside, the usual assortment of baleful pads and tweaked, ominous surroundings conjure alongside their infamous synth belches. Is not up there with “Clairvoyage” but I sense it in that direction. *

( 3 ) After Kaas & Eske’s latest appearance on Sanaton along with the Vicious Spiral, I was eagerly awaiting for some Pokus magic to Rock On and this one ends up mixing a hell broth of delays and scuffled noises, strapped to an elfish rhythm like is standard.

( 4 ) The second appearance of Stephanus Smit roughs his way through a fiendish episode with the self. I really tried liking his previous track on the first installment but nothing stuck from the chaos ensuing. RP5 provides more juice with distortions and bubbly scintillation triggering the shivers. *

( 5 ) Interesting seeing Enphapaloticys again, the work has definitely improved as far as I can remember, which was a while ago. I Don’t recall the production being this clear and complex either. Twisted all the way towards a general direction, which is quite stimulating at the wee hours of the morning. *

( 6 ) The rumor goes Saguru is teaming up with Savage Scream as the moniker Nyarlthotep (Try to pronounce it one more time), for a split album with Baal (Savage Scream & Noise Gust) on Phreex network… god knows when. In the meantime, Parvati Cream is a complete dissolution squeaks and blips in a riot of unchanging cadence. I will be looking for forward to the versus collaboration a little more expectantly next time though, as I prefer my tracks a bit more beefed up with effects.

( 7 ) Leonid & Aleksandar have been profiling lately with chill out offerings and their dose of nighttime to fit this story. No Name Channels is heavily bent on marooning, squeaks and corroded lines amidst the chaotic surroundings they have conjured. I like it. *

( 8 ) I found out late in life I’m allergic to bee stings, especially if they are hornets and my ex roommate has to carry around a syringe full of… some vaccine every time he goes to the park in case he ever gets stung by one. So you could say bees, including Bee People Abduction are scary shit around here. This one is the cherry on top though, more frantic than a summer in the Haight. Brace this hypnotic job comfortably numb. *

( 9 ) Viva Tempo is a 400-pound enraged bull kicking and ramming stuff with out a cowboy on top to actually ride the beast out, let alone tame it. This whole sound I am just calling the Noise Poison style. You know what to expect, fast rhythms, distortion and the glitch treatment.

( 10 ) I have only heard a couple of tracks by Tsabeat but they don't sound too much like this one, which is a bit of a revelation. Magletcha managed to bring forth all the wickedness the west coast in the US is producing, to imprint his own demented style. Friendly lines and riffs, heavily immersed in effects and the proper psy treatment in a delightful resolution. *

The way I see things, this second installment from Psy Stories sweetened the saga a bit more for me. For what is worth it is still warped, deranged trance with a number of decent offerings. Picture Azathoth in a bicycle and you might get the idea… so hang on tight, enjoy the chapters that do it for you - or get off and shuddup.

Where to Get

Saiko Samples >

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5728

I have had this in my rack for while now, and just heard it once all the way through since I got it! But this second time around it really is starting to please me!

I really enjoy the Psilo Cowboy's track which I already did from the first listen, what a nice job by Mussy Moody and Jahbo!

To start with the the Derango track did'nt bit on me at the first few listens... but that has changed :) It sounded a bit weak and almost boring to begin with for me untill I got under my skin, the bassline is simply amazing (especially after around 4:50)!!! And the small acid noises became beautiful alien melodies from another world! :rolleyes:

Most the rest of the tracks have their different qualities! I dont hear any bad tracks, but

maby not all will stand the test of time, lets see... ;)

And yeah I really like the last track by Tsabeat, kinda caught me of guard because i had no expectations, a solid piece of work! :)

But if u normaly like Parvati's releases u will love this one! And if u havent tried one before give it a serious listen! B)

Boom shiva!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally I got this CD in my hands, will give this a few more listens.

Red i Jedeye - RP5 - isn't RP5 a model of studio monitors from KRK? I noticed these match just today, I was browsing eBay.com/krksys.com for the KRK RP5 speakers and this track poped-up :)

Listened to KRK RP6 yesterday at a friends home and my God they sound fantastic! Will be collecting money ;)