How much psytrance exists?

Basilisk

Time for some speculative mathematical noodling... suppose there have been 10 to 15 psytrance CDs released every week for the past five years (and maybe half that for the five years previous to that)... that is close to 5,000 CDs right there, each of which would average about 8 or 9 tracks, which means there might be close to 44,000 released songs... let's be generous and say about half are re-releases or some stuff - it seems to imply there are still about 25,000 psytrance tunes out there. At about 7 minutes a piece, that is... about 3000 hours, or 120 days of straight music. Hmm, is that low or high?

Anyway, this is completely unfounded - quick estimates and sloppy calculations. What would your estimate be? If you were throwing a party and never playing the same track twice or ever stopping, how long could you go for? I think it's fair to include anything we'd generally consider in the psytrance world... prog, chill, full-on, Goa, whatever... so what do you think?

Anyway, this is completely unfounded - quick estimates and sloppy calculations. What would your estimate be? If you were throwing a party and never playing the same track twice or ever stopping, how long could you go for? I think it's fair to include anything we'd generally consider in the psytrance world... prog, chill, full-on, Goa, whatever... so what do you think?

527770[/snapback]

43 days

I have done it already

I estimate whole month considering many of quality releases in all trance genres : old school trance ( 90-95 ), acid trance, goa trance, psychedelic, progressive, minimal, some full on, dark psy...

I have 488 hours (That's 20 days) of psy on my hard disk (including some live sets etc. so I guess it's a little less unique tracks). And that's almost only from 2005 and 2006 and not even close to all releases from those years. Counting all the previous years too there'll be considerably more. I'd say there's at least one or a few months worth of psy out there.

Edit: I wonder how many of these tracks that I've not once listened to :(

I have around 8000 unique tracks on my home harddrive, and thats just counting the stuff I've ripped off of my own records. So I think the 25000 figure is pretty good, and possibly even low considering the release frenzy in recent years (I have VERY few 21st century releases).

edit: I forgot that this covers more than goa/psy, but still... 25k+ sounds plausible.

I'd say it's more than 25000 tracks...

Indeed, it IS MORE!

lookie:

- Labels: 670

- Releases: 6668

- Tracks: 49279

- Artists: 6706

- Samples: 1377

- Links: 803

considering that some tracks are double released and such ... I'd still say it's about 40000...

And Psydb does not have all psy releases in this world (still, a huge part of them, but not 100%), mind that!

I have around 8000 unique tracks on my home harddrive, and thats just counting the stuff I've ripped off of my own records. So I think the 25000 figure is pretty good, and possibly even low considering the release frenzy in recent years (I have VERY few 21st century releases).

edit: I forgot that this covers more than goa/psy, but still... 25k+ sounds plausible.

528594[/snapback]

How big is your bloody hard drive?

I recently ripped around 50 albums to my hard drive for transfering onto minidisc and practically ran out of space.

I recently ripped around 50 albums to my hard drive for transfering onto minidisc and practically ran out of space.

528806[/snapback]

8Tb :P ?

ok, i assume hes talking about mp3 or wma or ape or...?

I'd say it's more than 25000 tracks...

Indeed, it IS MORE!

lookie:

- Labels: 670

- Releases: 6668

- Tracks: 49279

- Artists: 6706

- Samples: 1377

- Links: 803

considering that some tracks are double released and such ... I'd still say it's about 40000...

And Psydb does not have all psy releases in this world (still, a huge part of them, but not 100%), mind that!

528803[/snapback]

I have roughly 19000 of those tracks, hooray! Counting 9 tracks per album. Which is a little generous

528806[/snapback]

I rip to 192kbps MP3. If I want uncompressed audio, I have the original CD/vinyl. It's a 120 GB drive and it's got 7 gigs free. The MP3 archive is 8700+ files, and then there is some WAV stuff on there as well (13GB).

Time for some speculative mathematical noodling... suppose there have been 10 to 15 psytrance CDs released every week for the past five years (and maybe half that for the five years previous to that)

10 to 15 psytrance CDs released every week? :blink::blink::blink:

More like 1 or 2 a year.. :(

I have roughly 19000 of those tracks, hooray! Counting 9 tracks per album. Which is a little generous

528832[/snapback]

wow

I think I might have about 1/76 of your amount (250 tracks) - if you count in CDs :)

You're all mad. I own all the psy trance ever to have been produced and when played sequentially, end to end, it comes to around an hour and ten minutes. Hell, I'll even list it all for you -

Hallucinogen - Twisted