Ka-Sol - Fairytale

Charlie

10/10. Absolutely not like anything else we've seen before. High-class psychedelic with lotsa acidic old school mushroom forest atmospheres  :blink:  can't describe it, definately album of the year IMO.

GO SUNTRIP RECORDS!!!!!!!  B)  B)  B)

529758[/snapback]

I'd be very interested to know how this is unlike anything you've seen before?

I've played it 5 or 6 times now and, while good, it's certainly nothing new, 3 or 4 of the tracks are rather dull, uninspired, semi-full-on bore fests that don't even feature a proper intro or outro (how lazy is that?). Also, too many of the tracks employ a beat of too high a frequency, those cold, sharp, shallow beats. Give me warm, deep beats that you feel resonating up through the floor any day.

Anyway, it certainly doesn't do anything new, and in my opinion is worthy of a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very interested to know how this is unlike anything you've seen before?

I've played it 5 or 6 times now and, while good, it's certainly nothing new, 3 or 4 of the tracks are rather dull, uninspired, semi-full-on bore fests that don't even feature a proper intro or outro (how lazy is that?). Also, too many of the tracks employ a beat of too high a frequency, those cold, sharp, shallow beats. Give me warm, deep beats that you feel resonating up through the floor any day.

Anyway, it certainly doesn't do anything new, and in my opinion is worthy of a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

530028[/snapback]

youre telling that it doesnt do anything new yet you give it 7 or 7.5 which means good or allmost very good?! wtf, if it aint new and even boring then 5-6 would be appropriate :)!

youre telling that it doesnt do anything new yet you give it 7 or 7.5 which means good or allmost very good?! wtf, if it aint new and even boring then 5-6 would be appropriate :)!

530033[/snapback]

The way I see it a crap album gets 3/10, an average album 5/10, a good album 7/10, and a superb album 9/10.

I think Fairytale is a good album. It doesn't do anything new, and it does some things badly. But it does most things (the melodies, sound effects, vibe and emotion the tunes create) on most tracks right. So I think it's worth a 7.

@ Cobz, I really would like to know what this album manages to do that no album before has done, because I can't hear or feel it.

I just heard it 5 times in a row, and it is a unique album with some very wild rides (Schlumpen, Skreno, Stiky Web, White Magic!)!

Which group ever combined dark atmospheres, forest sounds and goa melodies? None, melodic dark music is extremely rare...Tell me 3 names that make music in the Ka Sol style...

It's also beyond me that you hear Full On in it, it comes not even close, except when you say all 140+BPM music = full on

@ Cobz,  I really would like to know what this album manages to do that no album before has done, because I can't hear or feel it.

530039[/snapback]

its because youre obviously not shanti baba enough :rolleyes: ...

its because youre obviously not shanti baba enough :rolleyes: ...

530047[/snapback]

I've probably just heard more trance than him, reger. Heard it all before, me. :D

I just heard it 5 times in a row, and it is a unique album with some very wild rides (Schlumpen, Skreno, Stiky Web, White Magic!)!

Which group ever combined dark atmospheres, forest sounds and goa melodies? None, melodic dark music is extremely rare...Tell me 3 names that make music in the Ka Sol style... 

It's also beyond me that you hear Full On in it, it comes not even close, except when you say all 140+BPM music = full on

530045[/snapback]

perhaps "Sibilant" in his track "Screecher Creature", i havent heard other of his tracks yet tho, but this one particular track says alot IMO.

1997!

edit : and this track is AWESOME for its time ;)!

edit2 : ahead of its time maybe?

edit3 : other of his tracks sound interesting too :)!

Edited by reger

530045[/snapback]

In my opinion it doesn't do anything better than UX's Ultimate Experience or Pleiadian's IFO did (other than the production side of things - but it's come out almost 10 years later so I'd expect as much). And I'm not saying it's full-on, I'm saying it starts to approach full-on as some of the faster tracks seldom have a break in their beat and are of the sharp 'thudding' style. Anyway, overall, it's good but nothing special.

530045[/snapback]

I was just thinking that.. :)

It's a Scando thing, Chuck, you wouldn't understand.  :P

530738[/snapback]

yeah... kindof like the "stupid people" who didn't understand the Emperor's new clothes...? :P

Sorry, don't get me wrong, I am waiting for this album in high anticipation since I just loved Ka-Sol's older stuff and his live sets, but will people please cut this "forest trance" crap? it means NOTHING...

yeah... kindof like the "stupid people" who didn't understand the Emperor's new clothes...?  :P

Sorry, don't get me wrong, I am waiting for this album in high anticipation since I just loved Ka-Sol's older stuff and his live sets, but will people please cut this "forest trance" crap? it means NOTHING...

530822[/snapback]

To you maybe.

To you maybe.

530827[/snapback]

then explain me, Mr Smarty-pants... what special caracteristics distinguishes "forest trance" from other psytrance... everytime I've asked that question people just wandered off and never could produce a coherent answer, other than "well, you know, it sounds.... wierd...". But maybe you will be the first to enlighten me?

For me it actually has a meaning, that question was asked not so long ago on another forum, and I will cut and paste it here (as you talk a little Flemish at well), on the bottom there is some small English translation

"Bwaa, kvind van niet, ik hoor een duidelijk verschil tussen de Russische dark, Cosmo enzo (die soms meer naar breakcore neigen) en de Zweedse dingen qua stijl... T'is wel moeilijk uit te leggen, maar het grote verschil zit'm in het soort psychedelica en de verwrongen melodieën... (kzal zeggen, meer paddestoelenmuziek) Kzal even een 100% typisch bosnummer zeggen: Puro - Shut Wide Eyes (Tales of the Dark Forest), daar hebt ge alles in wa bosmuziek kenmerkt, duistere atmosfeer, windgeluiden a volonté, verwrongen melodiën, experimentele psychedelische geluiden

Terwijl de Russische dark meestal naar het minimalistische en elektronische opgaat (Zweedse bosmuziek is vaak meer organisch), en veel andere dark tegenwoordig is sowieso redelijk stereotiep, da is bij die Bosmuziek ook niét het geval...

Een perfecte grens trekken gaat natuurlijk niet, maar ik onderscheid dat toch in de donkere muziek (en toeval of niet, ik ben hier mijn cds aan het uitmesten en alleen de Zweedse dingen blijven over)

ps: ik vind Grapes of Wrath totaal niét bosmuziek achtig klinken... integendeel zelfs... wat dan wel? Ka Sol, oudere Buddhas, Schlab 4-5-7,Elektrik Kool Aid, eerste Kluster, oude Stone Age, laatste liedjes van de nieuwe Hypnotica Records, de Docklands cd, Weirdo Beardo liekes, Derango natuurlijk,...

pps: de naam bosmuziek is eigenlijk gewoon een verwijzing naar de Zweden die in Orebro hun open lucht feestjes in het midden van de bossen hielden hé, die feestjes hadden gefliptere muziek dan de rest van de scene, en sindsdien noemen de Zweden da zelf forst trance..."

To make it short... The difference between forest trance and normal dark trance are the melodies and shroomanoid sounds... And the massive wind-like atmospheres... For instance the Tecmorning track on Ka Sol, that "liquid water/electricity sound", that is typical forest trance, no other dark music uses such insane psychedelic sounds that are still melodic imo, it's typical Swedish for some reason, altough some Danes make it too :-)

then explain me, Mr Smarty-pants... what special caracteristics distinguishes "forest trance" from other psytrance... everytime I've asked that question people just wandered off and never could produce a coherent answer, other than "well, you know, it sounds.... wierd...". But maybe you will be the first to enlighten me?

530833[/snapback]

Satisfied with Anoebis' reply, 'Winki?

well yes and no... first of all, people say that old Ka-Sol and BotFB is "forest trance"... but when those tracks were released they were labled as "psytrance with industrial elements" (by D-Dave himself...), there wasn't a single word about "forest trance". I don't know man, it kindof sounds like people from today labeling Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger as "dark trance" because the tracks have a dark feeling... :blink:

Second of all I REALLY don't understand how people can see similarities between Derango and Ka-Sol but NOT between Derango and most dark trance artists.

Third of all, what's the difference between the "scando sound" and "forest trance"...? ;)

well yes and no... first of all, people say that old Ka-Sol and BotFB is "forest trance"... but when those tracks were released they were labled as "psytrance with industrial elements" (by D-Dave himself...), there wasn't a single word about "forest trance". Second of all I REALLY don't understand how people can see similarities between Derango and Ka-Sol but NOT between Derango and most dark trance artists. Third of all, what's the difference between the "scando sound" and "forest trance"...?  ;)

530848[/snapback]

Forest trance is just a name, héhé you can call it psytrance with industrial elements if you like :)

There are indeed similarities between Derango and dark trance artists (specially the derango album), and that may be the reason why I don't like all the tracks of his album :P I like his lose tracks more... Derango is a fusion between forest trance and dark trance imo...

For instance Puro - Shut Wide Eyes, that must be the definition of forest trance, and it's made by them... :)

Scando trance then... It's a broader name... I know people that call Ticon Scando sound, simply because it is from Scandinavia... I would say Scando sound is simply music from Scandinavia, while forest trance is dark music, MAINLY (not only) made in Sweden, with typical elements :)

530833[/snapback]

Anoebis has done a pretty good job explaining. This is the way I'll put it:

I've noticed for many years now that music from different parts of the world has a certain quality to it depending on where it's from. And I figure that a lot of these qualities are based on things that are characteristic of each region. Of course it's very complicated, especially since different regions cross-pollenate each other. But to give a simple example, perhaps a certain region that gets a lot of sun will somehow incorporate that sun into their music.

I've noticed that I tend not to like music from England, for instance. I don't quite relate to Hallucinogen or Green Nuns or Cosmosis, etc. Their music seems very noisy to me, but noisy with a kind of over-the-top precision that makes it annoying to me. It's very analytical, like their philosophy, but as such lacks heart. Again, this is a generalization, and a biased one at that, but I've put some thought into it and am trying to give as simple an answer as possible.

Scandinavian music, on the other hand, because I am very much affiliated with the region, sounds much more like home to me. And one thing that Scandinavian culture is very much in touch with is their forests. It's a large part of their folklore, and you see a lot of it in Norse-based legends, and stories based on those legends like Lord of the Rings, for instance. It's in their blood and their daily life. You can't grow up in Scandinavia without learning the mythology, and kids' books are full of trolls and elves and gnomes and stuff. Even Christmas is more foresty than I've seen elsewhere. Their Santa is a forest Santa. True, I didn't grow up in Scandinavia, but I grew up with the culture in my home, and have visited many times, and have walked into the forests and felt their magic.

And I honestly think the forests creep into the music of Scandinavia. And it might also be true that only Scandinavians can hear it, since they're the ones who hold that knowledge in their blood. So maybe it doesn't mean anything to you because you're from somewhere else. Belgium, right? Do you find you relate more to Belgian music?

Belgium, right? Do you find you relate more to Belgian music?

530868[/snapback]

lol actually AFAIK only 2 Belgian artists released full albums: Concentrix and Lani... and I found that both kindof sucked :( Although I'm Romanian-born so maybe I'll never quite relate to psytrance before a Romanian artist releases a full-lenght psy album?

hey this gives me an idea actually, maybe I'll gather the funds to release the first Romanian trance comp... call it something like "Vampire trance" since foreigners always associate Romania with vampires ;)

lol actually AFAIK only 2 Belgian artists released full albums: Concentrix and Lani... and I found that both kindof sucked :( Although I'm Romanian-born so maybe I'll never quite relate to psytrance before a Romanian artist releases a full-lenght psy album?

hey this gives me an idea actually, maybe I'll gather the funds to release the first Romanian trance comp ;)

530870[/snapback]

E-mantra?