every now and then.. 7.4/10

• 6 years later...
  • 4 years later...

9KW49YT.jpg

Artist: GMS

Title: The Growly Family

Label: TIP Records

Date: October, 1998

1. Surreal Killer (The Doppelganger RMX)

2. The Caterpillar

3. The Growly Family

4. Tentacles of a Jellyfish

5. Mouth of Madness

6. Addiction

7. Slow Motion

8. Gwai

9. Dirty Harry

10. Yashu

"They're afraid of me because they're afraid of the unknown."

I'm afraid of you because you've obviously gone off your nut and psychotics can be a tad unpredictable.

The 2nd album of GMS is superbly psychedelic and a perfect one two punch with Chaos Laboratory. There are loads of metallic and bubbling sounds to greet the ear without the safety net of too many melodies. This is a full body acid cleanse with weird sonic screeching that may make some uncomfortable. I agree with the masses that it takes multiple listens to get on board this train. Their style at this time had migrated from a goa base to a fully hallucinatory cornerstone. They no longer want you to dance all night; they want you to be touched by the warped creatures they're showing you.

Listening on headphones and attempting to follow this twisted adventure is quite the task. The first two tracks are brilliant psychedelic mind benders and then they show you their fun side with a ridiculous Adams family sample. Tough to take that tracks seriously, but guess what twinkle toes you're not supposed to.

Mouth of Madness is a freefall down a rabbit hole where these Easter bunnies have very sharp teeth and a taste for human flesh. If Addiction is autobiographical then these guys need help. Heavily modulated squirts (really they are all over the album...like they had Taco Bell for a straight month) and a breakbeat with demented samples act as a brain melting nut punch. F*cking loved it.

As I'm listening to Slow Motion it occurs to me that GMS might be the grandfathers of darkpsy based on the sounds chosen, psychedelia, and the atmosphere. It all points to darkness. The bubbling Gwai is overpowering and I wonder what Mozart would think if he heard this. Admire it, or sh*t his pants and have to change out of his wife's blouse.

I don't know if they were on drugs when they created this but if they were I say get back on them. Their music today cannot hold a candle to the interesting stuff they made back in the day.

My counsel tells me that I must make a statement. In know way do I condone the taking of illegal mind altering substances in any situation. But it's ok to get sh*tfaced with a bottle of Jack or any tequilla?

Pssst....hey buddy!

Here's my number *hands out cell #*

I'll have what they're having.

Mdk

• 9 years later...