Reintegrating the old reviews

mars

Hi

Before this Invision Board you had the old psynews and its hugs section of reviews.

After the server hack in november i removed all these old pages, suspecting them to be a possible source of security risk.

Well, they were missing since then. Not only that. The interviews too, the artists infos, and more stuff.

With DeathPosture and Insejn, we reviewed the 2000+ old pages of releases and their reviews, cleaned up all the fights and insults on them, put them in a real database, and now they're ready to be reintegrated with their 18300 clean reviews (!!) in this board.

But where ?

We have releases back to 1991 (Overlords Sundown), so making a subforum / year would end up on 16 subforums in total, those from the early ages containing only a few.

Look at this releases/year stats :

1991 : 1

1992 : 2

1993 : 3

1994 : 16

1995 : 47

1996 : 119

1997 : 151

1998 : 168

1999 : 207

2000 : 315

2001 : 381

2002 : 340

2003 : 254

So how do you guys think we should group them ?

Please vote and/or put your "something else" opinion below.

Thanks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally MARS ! I can hardly wait for the new output...

I am for One Subforum Per Year, cause we can always fill the years with releases that are missing...

I am finally excited again around Psynews !!!

Cheers B)

Oh we have here, all hot and bothered, the most active reviewer of the old days with Seraph (almost 400 reviews between dec 2001 and aug 2003) !!! I'm happy :P

Hmm 1991-92-93-94 releases are really a few and I think we almost have them all currently.

Some more figures :

Grouping 1991-94 : 22 in total

Grouping 1991-95 : 69 in total

Grouping 1991-96 : 188 in total

Nowadays there are 300-400 releases/year.

Imo the best is to group 1991-95 to have something more balanced, although we could also separate 1995 in a distinct subforum because it's in 1995 that some massive releases "revealed" Goatrance and this aims at puttung a separation there :).

Oh we have here, all hot and bothered, the most active reviewer of the old days with Seraph (almost 400 reviews between dec 2001 and aug 2003) !!! I'm happy  :P

Hmm 1991-92-93-94 releases are really a few and I think we almost have them all currently.

Some more figures :

Grouping 1991-94 : 22 in total

Grouping 1991-95 : 69 in total

Grouping 1991-96 : 188 in total

Nowadays there are 300-400 releases/year.

Imo the best is to group 1991-95 to have something more balanced, although we could also separate 1995 in a distinct subforum because it's in 1995 that some massive releases "revealed" Goatrance and this aims at puttung a separation there :).

450665[/snapback]

Ummm, you are right, maybe it is better to do 1991-94 cause 1995 is very SPECIAL year...

BTW, thanks for the compliment...;):D:)

I don't think that it would be too much, considering how many releases there are...

What about 2004 and 2005 releases ? Will they be included ? The ones we made last 2 years ? :unsure:

I'm very happy you finally will be able to do this, because lately I was using archive.org's mirror of psynews very often!

I voted for grouped 91-94 and year-by-year since 95 too.

What about double reviews? There's a lot of releases that are in the old database and are also posted as a new thread in current review section (IFO for example). Will they be merged somehow? Will it be possible to re-assign the old reviews to current members - I was always using the same signature, so it'd be easy in my case and probably many others too?

Anyway, great work guys! :D

I voted for grouped 91-94 and year-by-year since 95 too.

450756[/snapback]

Yeah, that's where my vote goes too... A seperate sub-forum for each your from 1995 - onwards...

I'm very happy you finally will be able to do this, because lately I was using archive.org's mirror of psynews very often!

450756[/snapback]

Yeah, I really, really, REALLY missed them too... And believe me, they are even better now after all the spam + fights + non-english + one-liner reviews were removed... I went thru A LOT of them whilst cleaning, and it was sooooo nostalgic... I can't wait to see them up again... Look forward to it guys! :)

What about double reviews? There's a lot of releases that are in the old database and are also posted as a new thread in current review section (IFO for example). Will they be merged somehow? Will it be possible to re-assign the old reviews to current members - I was always using the same signature, so it'd be easy in my case and probably many others too?

Anyway, great work guys! :D

450756[/snapback]

I was thinking about that too... But as I've understood it, these will be just regular forum threads (Over 2000 new ones! :) ), so I guess it shouldn't be that hard to merge them with existing threads... Same goes for moderation... I'm not sure if the original authors can edit, but us moderators can at least... :)

And to Seraph... Dude, I'm excited too... You've written SOOOOO many good reviews over the year man... Now they will shine again! :)

/DP

Whyever do we call them "reviews"? I mean, they're more like short comments... with the exception of very few.

The "Comments database".

450789[/snapback]

I think they were mostly short because the way they were inserted was very inconvinient - you could not format the text, make paragraphs, bulleted numbering, different font sizes / types / colours.

And to be honest, most of todays "reviews" is short too, so I see no problem merging them :)

Whyever do we call them "reviews"? I mean, they're more like short comments... with the exception of very few.

The "Comments database".

450789[/snapback]

With the exception of a very few early Children-reviews, all initial reviews had to have a substatial lenght to be accepted... So your assesment is wrong - and I've just parsed/cleaned close to 1000 reviews, so I should know...

Yes, there are short comments too - just like today, but the opening reviews usually carry a little more weight... That's why they are called reviews!

/DP

I voted alzo for 91 - 94 and 95 seperate, i´am very happy that the old reviews will be back again, i can´t believe it, now i can check out again the best rare cd´s and buy them after that, will you add just the albums reviews or alzo the compilation reviews, if it´s possible please add alzo the compilation reviews.

I voted alzo for 91 - 94 and 95 seperate, i´am very happy that the old reviews will be back again, i can´t believe it, now i can check out again the best rare cd´s and buy them after that, will you add just the albums reviews or alzo the compilation reviews, if it´s possible please add alzo the compilation reviews.

450825[/snapback]

All the reviews ever made will be there. Albums and comps.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

let them reintegrate the site in the left part with the old blue design & code, like they were before vanishing, with other rubs like what is goa & so on...

If not, for info, some reviews of old system have been reposted in the current system by other users, so how will you mix both?

let them reintegrate the site in the left part with the old blue design & code, like they were before vanishing, with other rubs like what is goa & so on...

If not, for info, some reviews of old system have been reposted in the current system by other users, so how will you mix both?

450846[/snapback]

We can't do that... They were too vulnarable for hacks... We've parsed them + cleaned them up, and they're gonna be integrated in the current forum system...

I guess there will be a few dupes, but we're plenty of moderators now to fix this...

/DP

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

We can't do that... They were too vulnarable for hacks... We've parsed them + cleaned them up, and they're gonna be integrated in the current forum system...

I guess there will be a few dupes, but we're plenty of moderators now to fix this...

/DP

450861[/snapback]

The former system was better with a decent design, not the case today.

The former system was better with a decent design, not the case today.

450862[/snapback]

I strongly disagree... The old system SUCKED beyond words compared to what we can offer today... Threads could not be bumped, edited or even moderated.. It was filled with crap - not to mention the formatting which made it very difficult to read. Furthermore, the old system didn't have any login protection at all, which made several threads filled with pointless spam, flamewars and other crap by anonymous users...

It's 2006 now, so reinstating a system that was conceived in 2000 would be absolutely pointless... Also, we've spent a good while parsing + cleaning the old reviews to make any use of them now. So, if you miss the old design that much, I suggest you make use of the cache function @ WebArchive...

/DP

Well, that's not gonna happen... The old system is LONG gone... And who cares about the design really? Isn't the actual CONTENT of the review what's more important here?

450869[/snapback]

I don´t like that everything is on the forum, look at other forums or Isratrance, for example Isratrance has a review section in the forum and an extra review section on the main site, i would like here something else, and if you searched for compilations etc you found them much faster like now with the crap forum searchengine.