Successful things tend to be more successful

Stalker

People will select a song if they think others like it.

In other words, at least one key to musical success is the buzz, or bandwagon effect.

This mean we cant perciave a music as classical only if it comes on a sucefull package. On a aproval already made by others

This also means your taste is very influenced by the group ( in this case psytrance)

Popular songs became more popular and unpopular songs became less popular when individuals influenced one another, and it became more difficult to predict which songs were to emerge as the most popular ones the more the individuals influenced one another

Lets say for ex Simon Postford comes here as a nobody, and then he would post his track LSD and asks for some honest feedback just like everybody right?

Now, all of you Postford fans would really like this, especially because of the surprise factor...but you would never label as the "best psytrance song ever" or as instant classic

Humans has fears to have the first word and stand out from the group

and especially, when it comes to a nobody

Thats why on every music genre there is the "obvious artists" those guys that are very sucefull and stay like this

How they become sucefull is a matter of time and another topic :rolleyes:

People will select a song if they think others like it.

In other words, at least one key to musical success is the buzz, or bandwagon effect.

This mean we cant perciave a music as classical only if it comes on a sucefull package. On a aproval already made by others

This also means your taste is very influenced by the group ( in this case psytrance)

Popular songs became more popular and unpopular songs became less popular when individuals influenced one another, and it became more difficult to predict which songs were to emerge as the most popular ones the more the individuals influenced one another

Lets say for ex Simon Postford comes here as a nobody, and then he would post his track LSD and asks for some honest feedback just like everybody right?

Now, all of you Postford fans would really like this, especially because of the surprise factor...but you would never label as the "best psytrance song ever" or as instant classic

Humans has fears to have the first word and stand out from the group

and especially, when it comes to a nobody

Thats why on every music genre there is the "obvious artists" those guys that are very sucefull and stay like this

How they become sucefull is a matter of time and another topic :rolleyes:

441613[/snapback]

true.

and wich is a shame

Thats why i always say:

The majority is never right

441617[/snapback]

I don't know if you are a technically minded person Stalker, but your

comment about the majority really reminded me of 'Brownian Motion'

BM B) is an utterly FASCINATING subject applicable to things such as:

SOME OF MY COMMENTS HERE especially the 30th remark. Basically there is a

way to deduce, using certain principles of BM (Brownian motion describes

'randomness' in a way; for example the movement of smoke through air)

I would be able to deduce whether or not the 3.7/5.0 situation is fraudulent.

BM  B)  is an utterly FASCINATING subject applicable to things such as:

SOME OF MY COMMENTS HERE especially the 30th remark.  Basically there is a

441620[/snapback]

Thats interisting indeed :)

and wich is a shame

Thats why i always say:

The majority is never right

441617[/snapback]

I'm with ya, Stalker. Music is a very social phenomenon, like I've said in other places. Music itself is dead. It's the music combined with the impressionable opinions of a group of people that make it successful or unsuccessful. LSD, for instance, is a track that in my opinion is nothing really special, but what I think it has going for it is that it's accessible to many people. It's easy to listen to, yet has a certain flair that makes it very likeable to a lot of people. The stuff that is of better quality, but is perhaps harder to access by the masses, will not achieve the same success.

And then there's the whole issue of "luck", which is another thing altogether...

I'm with ya, Stalker. Music is a very social phenomenon, like I've said in other places. Music itself is dead. It's the music combined with the impressionable opinions of a group of people that make it successful or unsuccessful. LSD, for instance, is a track that in my opinion is nothing really special, but what I think it has going for it is that it's accessible to many people. It's easy to listen to, yet has a certain flair that makes it very likeable to a lot of people. The stuff that is of better quality, but is perhaps harder to access by the masses, will not achieve the same success.

And then there's the whole issue of "luck", which is another thing altogether...

441626[/snapback]

Well said Otto

There is a lot of factors that make any form of art expression to be sucefull, and luck is very important

The group factor plays such a big role on the music aceptance

Its a natural social reaction

441626[/snapback]

Ok, I am a Posford nut, however, and I seem to be in the minority here, but

I think LSD is one of his most SHITE tracks.

Well said Otto

There is a lot of factors that make any form of art expression to be sucefull, and luck is very important

The group factor plays such a big role on the music aceptance

Its a natural social reaction

441627[/snapback]

Luck to me doesn't really exist. In other words, we make our own luck, although talent does play a minor role. We create luck by working hard at wanting to achieve something - ambition. Goes back to that old saying, "Art is 5% inspiration, 95% perspiration." I've seen ambition make even mediocre artists very successful. No artist can expect talent to carry them to the top.

So, regarding ambition and success in music with actual people, it's obvious that getting one's music in as many ears as possible will help one be successful. It's all marketing. And if you've got a great product to sell, and if you have the recommendations of already established people, even better.

By the way: NP: Miraculix - The Arrival...Best psy CD I've heard in a long time. Great shit from beginning to end.

Luck to me doesn't really exist. In other words, we make our own luck, although talent does play a minor role. We create luck by working hard at wanting to achieve something - ambition. Goes back to that old saying, "Art is 5% inspiration, 95% perspiration." I've seen ambition make even mediocre artists very successful. No artist can expect talent to carry them to the top.

So, regarding ambition and success in music with actual people, it's obvious that getting one's music in as many ears as possible will help one be successful. It's all marketing. And if you've got a great product to sell, and if you have the recommendations of already established people, even better.

By the way: NP: Miraculix - The Arrival...Best psy CD I've heard in a long time. Great shit from beginning to end.

441636[/snapback]

I agree with it

Luck is a product of working. Thats why it says "luck comes in practice"

I said luck on the perpective of having good optioms in hand to expose his art

That affects even the nation where the artist is born, on a very simple leve,l but it does

I am not saying that it was a matter of luck that people liked a music or something, more to he information, contacts, money and being at the right place at the right time :)

but then again one could say that this does not aplies to luck, more to randomness, facts etc,but not luck..........after all, an artist and his art is a direct consequence of his enviroment...

I agree with it

Luck is a product of working. Thats why it says "luck comes in practice"

I said luck on the perpective of having good optioms in hand to expose his art

That affects even the nation where the artist is born, on a very simple leve,l but it does

I am not saying that it was a matter of luck that people liked a music or something, more to he information, contacts, money and being at the right place at the right time :) 

but then again one could say that this does not aplies to luck, more to randomness, facts etc,but not luck..........after all, an artist and his art is a direct consequence of his enviroment...

441638[/snapback]

Right.

I read in a science magazine a few years ago a really nice metaphor for luck and success. Imagine you live in the center of an apple orchard, and every day you have to go out into the apple orchard and pick a basket of apples. If you go to the same place every day you're bound to eventually run out of apples to pick. But if you go out systematically to a different location in the orchard every day, or even a random location, the chances of always having a basket of apples is dramatically increased.

In other words, we are at all times surrounded by opportunity. We can choose either to put ourselves, or the representation of ourselves (i.e. our music), in as many places as possible and therefore increasing our opportunities, or we can simply do the same thing every day - like only post our tracks here at Psynews - and therefore guarantee ourselves little opportunity.

Right.

I read in a science magazine a few years ago a really nice metaphor for luck and success. Imagine you live in the center of an apple orchard, and every day you have to go out into the apple orchard and pick a basket of apples. If you go to the same place every day you're bound to eventually run out of apples to pick. But if you go out systematically to a different location in the orchard every day, or even a random location, the chances of always having a basket of apples is dramatically increased.

In other words, we are at all times surrounded by opportunity. We can choose either to put ourselves, or the representation of ourselves (i.e. our music), in as many places as possible and therefore increasing our opportunities, or we can simply do the same thing every day - like only post our tracks here at Psynews - and therefore guarantee ourselves little opportunity.

441641[/snapback]

You are so right :o

I think i am going to spam my tracks on some tech forums! :lol:

Really :ph34r:

you have a point certainly ;) That's why each individual should try listening for himself

Popular songs became more popular and unpopular songs became less popular when individuals influenced one another

hm

imagine that a popular track wasnt always popular.

meaning , in the beginning noone knew Hallucinogen.

Noone knew Kox Box either.

Why Hallucinogen became more popular than Kox Box, meaning that so many people consider hallucinogen as "the top"?

"peer influence" could be a reason to an extent, from a certain time period afterwards[when an artist has reached a specific level of recognition]

but there are other factors as well..

promotion, the majority's taste, luck/timing ,hm.

EDIT

would like to add though

it doesnt necessarily mean that if someone likes hallucinogen or thinks he's the best then his choice is influenced

;)

would like to add though

it doesnt necessarily mean that if someone likes hallucinogen or thinks he's the best then his choice is  influenced

;)

441647[/snapback]

You are right

That does not aplies to every single person.

I think this whole issue has to do with the "image" music provides

Simon music has a good "image" , has a good reference and all among us psytrancers

That helps on sub-councious level to acept it, or the oposite, wich is to hate it, just beacuse its the most famous and talked one that goes against your taste

If someone music image is "neutral", those emotions of love and hate are fairly more dificult to reach

Off course, music hits diferently from person to person....

Lets say this way

The bandwagon effect pushs out our emotions, and sometimes we dont even realise how false it is

Like me for ex, i hate Britney Spears, but i dont hate that chubby hot girl wich sings some pretty shitty pop music on a bar next to my house (really)

This way, i am being victim of the bandwagon effect, i shouldnt hate Britney more then i hate that hot chubby girl right?....

they both creats horrible music on my opiniom, but i hate Britney because she is so damn popular and always has some sucky videoclip playing, wihile the girl from the bar next to my house dont bother me at all, expect that time when she gave me a fake phone number after a one night stand out :angry:

LSD, for instance, is a track that in my opinion is nothing really special, but what I think it has going for it is that it's accessible to many people. It's easy to listen to, yet has a certain flair that makes it very likeable to a lot of people.

441626[/snapback]

The Ott remix of LSD seems to very accessible to "normal people", there's a bunch of men renewing the plumbing and they always whistle along when I play it :D Same thing happened when there were couple of guys repairing the batterys B)

edit: I have some friends who don't take any of my recommendations seriously, but when someone else for example a dj friend of theirs recommends the same stuff it's suddenly great :rolleyes:

Hey there Mike,

Yeh, very interesting. Added a comment myself on discogs.

Shit, I can't spend time in both discogs and psynews. I need to do some studies some times too ...

BM  B)  is an utterly FASCINATING subject applicable to things such as:

SOME OF MY COMMENTS HERE especially the 30th remark.  Basically there is a

441620[/snapback]

The things you say are very true, stalker. However i think LSD IS a pretty unique tune, you can't deny that, because if there is such a thing as an objectively good song, LSD would be one. It wouldn't, however, have gained the same success if it was created now, which is pure logic. It wouldn't impress anymore, not that much. The reason why LSD is good to us is both the timeless musical quality, and the rate of inventiveness it showed back in 1994.

So long baby bye bye l8rz m8.

The things you say are very true, stalker. However i think LSD IS a pretty unique tune, you can't deny that, because if there is such a thing as an objectively good song, LSD would be one. It wouldn't, however, have gained the same success if it was created now, which is pure logic. It wouldn't impress anymore, not that much. The reason why LSD is good to us is both the timeless musical quality, and the rate of inventiveness it showed back in 1994.

442339[/snapback]

You call that being objective? <_<

Guest snowball

i have allways wondered why people tend to label lsd as the best of hallucinogen...

i think its a very nice track nothing more nothing less but certainly not the best of hall...

i prefer alpha centauri than lsd.(for the twisted album)