Initiation Report

Otto Matta

I've heard the occasional story about how someone here was at some point lent some psytrance and they instantly fell in love with it. This didn't happen to me - I had to dig, dig, dig through loads of used CD stores to find it. But since then I've played it for many people and not a single one has liked it. Some have tolerated it, but none have ever been led to seek out more of it, or even ask for a burned copy or anything. With none has it been that *spark*. Mostly people are just annoyed by it.

So my question to you is, how many times have you successfully introduced psytrance to another person? And what is the proportion of your successes versus your failures?

Me: 0; 0/~40

hmm... i think psy trance is something you have to feel in your blood at your own pace, in the dance floor, or grass-floor, whatever... When you explain it someone the rush is usually there, and you NEED to hear this and then the other and you are pumped about them liking it, it kind of gets fizzed...

my ex liked psy chillout , but thats mostly cause i was crazy about it and chillout was the middle ground. When we rolled it was the music of choice though, took her to a few venues and she even went to some herself, so at least i can claim she don't listen to euro trance no more... probably hip hop or, the streets when they are on monthly mdma session :ph34r:

besides that, that greatest asset has been a close friend that started to DJ around the time i was getting into it. He also started producing as time passed and taking it more seriusly -went to school for it. i turned into an 'appreciator' but it was always nice to share new great cd's with a close buddy or a close group, like it was the case, that's equally crazy about this music. keeps the addiction healthy ;)

besides that i think basilisk has a large base of coneverted users... the evangelist... :D

I've heard the occasional story about how someone here was at some point lent some psytrance and they instantly fell in love with it. This didn't happen to me - I had to dig, dig, dig through loads of used CD stores to find it. But since then I've played it for many people and not a single one has liked it. Some have tolerated it, but none have ever been led to seek out more of it, or even ask for a burned copy or anything. With none has it been that *spark*. Mostly people are just annoyed by it.

437380[/snapback]

It's the same here. I had nobody who introduced me, had to find everything by myself.

And everybody that I play psy to because he wants to know what it is when I tell him I listen to it says when he hears it: "oh no, that's tekkno crap, cut that shite, will ya!" (more or less polite). I just can't convince other people who don't know psy to like it :(

And the funny thing is, the people that I come to talk to who know psy are mainly listening to gabba/hardcore and just like the psy music to chill out. So that's nothing for me either. I guess it's just my fate that I will be all alone here liking psy :P

i gave to a lot of people the psy bug....

not on purpose though,like everytime there is a party, people,djs,freaks etc call me to bring some music....(i allways bring psy) to play...

9/10 times i forget the cds or loose them so they land in somebody's hands or sofa and they start to listen them...

the problem is that instead of calling me and asking for more they just go into a p2p program and type psychedelic trance....now everytime i see them they come and start showing off that they are super dupa psy freaks and they have like 100 songs from skazi and if i want some and blah blah blah....its sad.... :(

I've introduced a few people to psy-trance who thought it was pretty good, Juno Reactor in particular proved quite popular. Years ago I played Total Eclipse to a South African guy and he absolutely loved it and got well into the scene because of it.

Most folk seem to hate it though, consider it mindless drug music and ask me to turn it off. I suppose they view it in a similar light to how I view rap and hip hop - genres I really dislike.

I'd say my success rate is around 5 out of 30.

i've so far tried to "convert" few people to prog trance. successfully. but i guess that's because it is "closest" to what they hear in clubs?

nobody cared about chill out. :(

to those who are already into psytrance (though melodic), i tried to show them the "dark" side of the scene .. partially failed.

what else ... i've caught my brother listening to Astral Projection and Blue Planet Corporation a few times.

that's about it. not many people though.

Okay, some more successful than others. Actually, since you mention Juno Reactor, Charlie, there was this one guy a couple years ago who'd heard Pistolero somewhere and liked it so I burned Shango for him, with Hotaka as a "bonus" track. He was a big hip hop fan, though, and a little concerned about his "rep", so probably only listened to it a couple of times. He told me he liked to listen to it while he was driving. So, not so much of a convert than a passing whim, but I'll change my stats to:

1; 0/~40

The actual problem with convincing people is, that the people who listen to other music won't "get" psy music ... you know what I mean? I mean, when I play a track to somebody and he/she says that it's just as uninteresting as techno and I say "Wait, wait, listen, do you hear this (and this) effect? Or this melody? Isn't it awesome? I totally love it!" and get all grinny they mostly just shake their head and give me a "WTF?" expression.

You know, I just think that the people who are into other music have a different brain - well, I mean a different way they percieve music with their brain ... they usually have a completely different mentality alltogether and a different approach to music and sound than us psytrancers. They are not in for melodies and effects, you know? They don't even hear them in most cases, mainly because they are not used to listen to music like that because they are coming from a totally different music genre ... they don't "get" all this monotony and yet still the little difference in melody or a sample here or there or an effect or whatever. They don't "get" it - just as I don't "get" other forms of music, classical being the best example!

The root problem of it all is, that I don't know people that go to clubs or whatever on weekends like Moni does either ... such people who are used to the basic soundscape of club music undoubtly find it easier to switch to another electronic music style. I only know metalheads, punks or hiphoppers, there is not a single clubber among all of them - I AM THE ODD ONE OUT! And I have to live with it. I can't convince anybody that I know, because nobody gets the music, you know? And that's also the reason why I always have been going alone on parties until this day...

The actual problem with convincing people is, that the people who listen to other music won't "get" psy music ... you know what I mean? I mean, when I play a track to somebody and he/she says that it's just as uninteresting as techno and I say "Wait, wait, listen, do you hear this (and this) effect? Or this melody? Isn't it awesome? I totally love it!" and get all grinny they mostly just shake their head and give me a "WTF?" expression.

You know, I just think that the people who are into other music have a different brain - well, I mean a different way they percieve music with their brain ... they usually have a completely different mentality alltogether and a different approach to music and sound than us psytrancers. They are not in for melodies and effects, you know? They don't even hear them in most cases, mainly because they are not used to listen to music like that because they are coming from a totally different music genre ... they don't "get" all this monotony and yet still the little difference in melody or a sample here or there or an effect or whatever. They don't "get" it - just as I don't "get" other forms of music, classical being the best example!

The root problem of it all is, that I don't know people that go to clubs or whatever on weekends like Moni does either ... such people who are used to the basic soundscape of club music undoubtly find it easier to switch to another electronic music style. I only know metalheads, punks or hiphoppers, there is not a single clubber among all of them - I AM THE ODD ONE OUT! And I have to live with it. I can't convince anybody that I know, because nobody gets the music, you know? And that's also the reason why I always have been going alone on parties until this day...

437776[/snapback]

something tells me that there might some truth in what youve just said :).

Most people have this mentality RTP describes and stick to a certain category of music. Their brains are beaten to death with fixed patterns and sounds.

When I started discovering electronic music (other than simple euro dance music) years ago, I couldn't make much of it and most of it sounded very weird. But I didn't give up so easily and eventually I started to love it. I guess there's a discovery phase you have to go through before you can really start digging all sorts of (electronic) music, psytrance included. But 99% of the people will never give it a serious try or they are simply unable to process the music :o

Guest Astro Cortex

There are very few people I know who really enjoyed the music I played to them. I had a schoolmate who had a very eclectic taste in music: mainly hiphop, punkrock and some other stuff I don't remember, but he also knew about psytrance/psy-chill and really liked most of the stuff I showed him. One other schoolfellow, who was mainly a reggae fan, was quite amazed at some chillout stuff, such as Ozric Tentacles, Shpongle and DLS, but he lost interest very quickly I suppose.

Then, my ex-next-room-neighbour in my hall of residence was a bit into IDM (Aphex, Plaid, Autechre, Squarepusher...), which was quite nice, but I haven't had the time to get into music conversation with him ever since he moved out last year.

All in all, I think I haven't met anyone yet who's as enthusiastic about electronic music as myself, and I can't really say I have successfully introduced anyone to psy or other types of electronic music.

You know, I just think that the people who are into other music have a different brain - well, I mean a different way they percieve music with their brain ... they usually have a completely different mentality alltogether and a different approach to music and sound than us psytrancers.

437776[/snapback]

That's exactly what I think too. Most people seemingly can't handle the difference, or more precisely, the unfamiliar. Anyways, in the end you can't force anyone to like what you like, or even to perceive music the same way that you do. Taste is taste after all :rolleyes: .

I feel the reason most people don't like psy trance is simply because it doesn't connect with them, neither on a mental, spiritual or physical level. I don't believe it has anything to do with musical perception or not 'getting' it, it's just that trance doesn't excite them in any way. It's akin to beauty being in the eye of the beholder, good music is in the ear of the beholder.

Guest Astro Cortex

I feel the reason most people don't like psy trance is simply because it doesn't connect with them, neither on a mental, spiritual or physical level. I don't believe it has anything to do with musical perception or not 'getting' it, it's just that trance doesn't excite them in any way. It's akin to beauty being in the eye of the beholder, good music is in the ear of the beholder.

437813[/snapback]

Anyhow, I think we're talking the same thing here. Whether one "connects" with a musical style to a certain extent depends on the way one....well, perceives it, for lack of a better explanation. I don't want this to become a distinction without difference, and I don't think you want it either. As I said, in the end we're plainly talking about taste, nothing else.

...and I don't expect any proper success in analyzing why people have the taste they have.

437822[/snapback]

hmm, yes ... people are far too different and individual to each other than to just judge them by the music they listen to.

Still, I believe there is an overall average, a certain tendency to certain "reactions in the brain" - reactions that can be extended on a much wider scale than just the musical/"perception of sound" one - among people that listen to a specific genre of music, especially among those who listen to one genre mostly/only. I know, that easily leads into prejudging people by the music they hear and that's not good at all and therefore the reason why you gotta be very careful with that! But I still believe there is somewhat of a general average tendency, you know?

Guest Astro Cortex

hmm, yes ... people are far too different and individual to each other than to just judge them by the music they listen to.

Still, I believe there is an overall average, a certain tendency to certain "reactions in the brain" - reactions that can be extended on a much wider scale than just the musical/"perception of sound" one - among people that listen to a specific genre of music, especially among those who listen to one genre mostly/only. I know, that easily leads into prejudging people by the music they hear and that's not good at all and therefore the reason why you gotta be very careful with that! But I still believe there is somewhat of a general average tendency, you know?

437971[/snapback]

Yes, of course, that may actually be the explanation why people have different tastes at all. But obviously, it also works vice versa, i.e. the music you listen to affects the tendencies to those specific reactions of the brain.

Spot on, guys, I totally agree. At the same time, though, I think there is one more important aspect of liking this music. You've spoken mostly about the interior aspects of liking the music, but there are also motivations coming from outside, too, from a "nurture" perspective, rather than the "nature" standpoint.

Taking myself as an example, and having known a lot of psytrancers and other electronic music fans, I notice there's a large cultural foundation to the music which speaks to the identity of a person. For instance, I'm the kind of guy who generally cringes at anything that becomes too popular. I don't know why that is, I just do. So when I heard electronic music for the first time I liked it somewhat for the way it sounded (I had been writing my own brand of synthesized music for almost ten years already at that point, but had never heard true electronic stuff). But I think what was as compelling was that it wasn't popular, that I could grab onto it and make it part of my identity and still be somewhat original. I could walk around outside and sneer at the people who were still listening to pop music and feel unique.

But the problem with doing so was that it became an awfully lonely business. At some point I wanted to share my music - my identity - with someone. And when one person after another didn't like my music, it was really frustrating. I wanted to bond with people like me, or rather, people who had set up their identities similar to mine. And that's when the Internet came in handy. I could find people all over the world who listened to the same stuff I did, who had similar identities. There was a culture that I fit into, and that was comforting, and moreso because the uniqueness of the music was still intact.

So, in short it seems everything has a duality based on the interior and the exterior, between nature and nurture, and these combine in a synergistic fashion to create identity, which is a combination of the individual and his or her culture. And that's why, it seems, people get very defensive about their culture, and why people find it hard to try new music, because it threatens the foundations of the identity they've put so much effort into building.