Samples

Cinos

for me badly chosen sample in shitty track makes this track uber cheesy crap. if music is excellent, then if not instantly then with time i accept that sample no matter how stupid it seem to me, or at least learn to respect it and somehow be neutral. as for same sample usage by many artists - for me it SUCKS DONKEY BALLS because its uninspiring and not fresh. because if i hear a track with sample that ive allredy heard before it makes me underrate this track, and its not wrong, because if people say - "ffs its just a sample" then my only answer is - ok, lets use the same kick and bassline too, eh? sample is part of a track, important part just any other part of a track and thats why people should pay more attention to details instead of telling that theres nothing special about it.

IMO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me badly chosen sample in shitty track makes this track uber cheesy crap. if music is excellent, then if not instantly then with time i accept that sample no matter how stupid it seem to me, or at least learn to respect it and somehow be neutral. as for same sample usage by many artists - for me it SUCKS DONKEY BALLS because its uninspiring and not fresh. because if i hear a track with sample that ive allredy heard before it makes me underrate this track, and its not wrong, because if people say - "ffs its just a sample" then my only answer is - ok, lets use the same kick and bassline too, eh? sample is part of a track, important part just any other part of a track and thats why people should pay more attention to details instead of telling that theres nothing special about it.

IMO

418288[/snapback]

Great point. And I like the new "eggshell" design, reger.

Seriously, it seems an inordinate amount of music-makers put too little thought into their samples. Yeah, I can empathize that to fit certain samples into a track is really tricky work, but the samples themselves very often need more thought. In other words, there is far too much dependence on cheap, mass-marketed samples to fill out a track. Music should ideally be original from start to finish. The best music is, anyway. I say chuck all the stupid, store-bought sample disks and innovate!

Great point. And I like the new "eggshell" design, reger.

Seriously, it seems an inordinate amount of music-makers put too little thought into their samples. Yeah, I can empathize that to fit certain samples into a track is really tricky work, but the samples themselves very often need more thought. In other words, there is far too much dependence on cheap, mass-marketed samples to fill out a track. Music should ideally be original from start to finish. The best music is, anyway. I say chuck all the stupid, store-bought sample disks and innovate!

418303[/snapback]

agree. although it[opinion] might look arrogant and somehow "purified"

but who cares :)

I think samples rock. I buy a lot of sample cds, and I am proud of it. If I use a sample, probably someone else will as well, but not in the same way as me.

I could actually go about and say:

THE VIRUS C SUCKS! Because every artist seem to use the same presets in so called "Full On" nowadays.... how does that make you feel? HUH!?

I think samples rock. I buy a lot of sample cds, and I am proud of it. If I use a sample, probably someone else will as well, but not in the same way as me.

I could actually go about and say:

THE VIRUS C SUCKS! Because every artist seem to use the same presets in so called "Full On" nowadays.... how does that make you feel? HUH!?

418379[/snapback]

Well, that bitching about all full-on sounding all the same is allready going on in the forum for ages so don't worry about that!!! ;)

I think the problem is that a spoken (or sung) sample is way more easy to recognise than when artists use the same effects on a synth. If it's overused liek the full-on bassline then it gets boring very fast. But with a spoken sample or something it takes less. But tt's a matter of taste if people get upset by that or not. I don't mind it that much personally but I also somewaht understand people who dislike it.

Well, that bitching about all full-on sounding all the same is allready going on in the forum for ages so don't worry about that!!! ;)

I think the problem is that a spoken (or sung) sample is way more easy to recognise than when artists use the same effects on a synth. If it's overused liek the full-on bassline then it gets boring very fast. But with a spoken sample or something it takes less. But tt's a matter of taste if people get upset by that or not. I don't mind it that much personally but I also somewaht understand people who dislike it.

418433[/snapback]

My post was somewhat of a pisstake, and I dont throw terms like Full On around me normally hehehe :) (Sorry tatsu, I know you know this).

What I do mean with my post though, is that people are complaining about some things, and others they are not complaining about. I can name you about 10 songs (when I come home) that use the EXACT same basspatch on the virus. Or use the EXACT same garbled voice patch... those are PRESET patches, NOTHING done to them, just used.

I will not complain about it though, as long as it sounds ok. I think that we need to accept that a lot of musicians are using the same tools to make music, and it has always been like that.

Beatles for instance, they played the same chords, in the same sequence as many bands, using the same effects, but the WAY they played the chords (beginning from the last string rather than the first) made it sound new and fresh (which it was).

Sidenote to myself: Know your scales, and you will not get people naggin at your music.... :D

I know that you not throw around the full-on stuff, and I know that you know that I know... ;)

Sure, artists use the same chords, instruments, tools, sample cds for their tracks. As I've said I think that samples (some of them at last) are way easier to spot or that (some) people mind them more than preseted effects on synths. Matter of taste... You can't force somebody to change his taste, but they also can't change your tracks so it's sort of equal.