Samples

Cinos

I think some Shpongle flute lines actually _are_ taken from sample CDs, but I'm not sure.

Any confirmation?

411463[/snapback]

On shpongle.org's forum there was some discussion about the beginning of Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness or Around the World in a Tea Daze (don't remember which or if it even was any of those two, but it's not the point :D) beginning melody is "borrowed" from a dead spanish composer. Which makes it kinda lame is that although it's legal to use it, they haven't credited this at all <_<

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elysium

On shpongle.org's forum there was some discussion about the beginning of Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness or Around the World in a Tea Daze (don't remember which or if it even was any of those two, but it's not the point :D) beginning melody is "borrowed" from a dead spanish composer. Which makes it kinda lame is that although it's legal to use it, they haven't credited this at all  <_<

411524[/snapback]

Many flutes on his CD's are samples.... Some are done by Raj.. Again so what? It's the result that count. Not where you got the samples from. Yes you should credit what you use IF it's not legally off some sample CD or other sources where you dont need to credit anything.

I agree with Nemo. It seem those who bitch are those who know least what it will say to make music.

And sorry Cinos but your 1st post clearly highlighted my track so yes I get pissed off by it. Not because you dont like it...I could honestly care less since I am aware of that I do not make music to please everybody and because I choose what samples I want to use...no matter if it is annoying to you or not...

No i get pissed off because it's been debated here on psynews before..... Again use the search instead of opening up yet another topic to bitch.

Many flutes on his CD's are samples.... Some are done by Raj..    Again so what?  It's the result that count. Not where you got the samples from.  Yes you should credit what you use IF it's not legally off some sample CD or other sources where you dont need to credit anything.

411560[/snapback]

Umm, I don't care where they came from and I don't bitch about samples, in many cases I like them even if the same one is in more than one song :)

But if you find a melody somewhere and even if it's legal to use it, it still would be nice to mention where it's from ;)

Guest Elysium

But if you find a melody somewhere and even if it's legal to use it, it still would be nice to mention where it's from ;)

411570[/snapback]

Agreed :)

I also don't like _vocals_ from sample CDs at all. Most of the time you can hear instantly that they are taken from some sample library... they just don't sound original enough. It would be more meaningful if you yourself wrote the lyrics/messages.. otherwise they are just some "stock sentences". And IMO it ruins a bit music if I hear the same (vocal) samples on different tracks. Why not ask a friend to sing... or put a message to a noticeboard of a music school or something... This all was already said.. just wanted to voice my opinion.

And what I find funny as well is, that its always the NON musicians that are bitching about it. In general it seems like people bitch a lot, but have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER, how it is to produce a track. How to finalize the whole thing, and how to make a sample fit. And so much more and more and more.

411464[/snapback]

:unsure:

You don't have to be a cook to taste if food is tasty or not.

Guest Elysium

What does that mean, that only a handful of listeners should hear the music, that only a handful should voice their opinion?

411680[/snapback]

No it meant that we can not all be experts. I for one do not tell a painter what colours he/she should use. If I like the painting fine..If not I move on ;)

It was meant to stir you guys up a little ;)

Edited by Elysium

Guest Elysium

You're an expert?

411689[/snapback]

No that's why I do not tell a painter what colours to use.

When it come to my own personal music yes I am an expert.. I make the music the way I want to make it and could not care less if people think my samples are "wrong". Hence the "too many cook's" comment.

Now do me an favour (Cinos and co.) and go and make your own tracks and then upload them so we can tell you why your basses, sounds, samples etc. ect. are wrong and not appropiate and how annoyed we get because you did it "wrong".

I am waiting so please hurry :)

When it come to my own personal music yes I am an expert..  I make the music the way I want to make it and could not care less if people think my samples are "wrong".  Hence the "too many cook's" comment.

Now do me an favour (Cinos and co.) and go and make your own tracks and then upload them so we can tell you why your basses, sounds, samples etc. ect. are wrong and not appropiate and how annoyed we get because you did it "wrong".

411693[/snapback]

A fair answer... but you have to appreciate if you release a piece of art to the public it will receive both praise and criticism.

Have you never criticised a piece of music?

No it meant that we can not all be experts.  I for one do not tell a painter what colours he/she should use.  If I like the painting fine..If not I move on ;)

It was meant to stir you guys up a little ;)

411681[/snapback]

True, but you can still tell the painter that you dislike this and that part of his painting. You don't need to be an expert to do that, it's only taste, not knowledge. It's up to him if he changes the picture or maybe not even take you serious.

When it come to my own personal music yes I am an expert..  I make the music the way I want to make it and could not care less if people think my samples are "wrong".  Hence the "too many cook's" comment.

411693[/snapback]

Also this is a part of personal taste and not about knowledge imho. Even two people who make music as professionels can disagree about (for example) a bassline beeing good or not. I mean look at full-on, you strongly disslike it because it's boring and repetitive, there are other artists who really like it. So who is wrong then? Nobody of course, it's taste.

No it meant that we can not all be experts.  I for one do not tell a painter what colours he/she should use.  If I like the painting fine..If not I move on ;)

411681[/snapback]

I don't see what's wrong about constructive criticism & voicing an opinion... it helps both sides.

I am waiting so please hurry  :) 

I don't have to do that because I can already tell you that you and anybody else would be more that wellcome to comment my tracks if I had any.

Guest Elysium

A fair answer... but you have to appreciate if you release a piece of art to the public it will receive both praise and criticism.

Have you never criticised a piece of music?

411696[/snapback]

Oh but I do it it is constructive critisism (positive or negative). But in my opinion it's nothing but bitcing when people tell artists how they should make their music or what elements they should use or not use. As I have said so many times. Dont like it? Dont listen to it!

Yes I have made critisism many times (fullon included).. But never told anyone they should make the music "my way" or according to my "rules". I normally comment on the production quality, the overall track (composition and melodies) as a whole and out of a taste issue and do nto really care how they did the track or what elements they used.

True, but you can still tell the painter that you dislike this and that part of his painting. You don't need to be an expert to do that, it's only taste, not knowledge. It's up to him if he changes the picture or maybe not even take you serious.

411702[/snapback]

Couldn't say it any better... I agree 100%.

Guest Elysium

I don't have to do that because I can already tell you that you and anybody else would be more that wellcome to comment my tracks if I had any.

411709[/snapback]

would it also be ok that i said... "you annoy me because you used that sample"?

Is that really constructive critisism to you? To me it's just boring bitching and a comment made by people who seem to need to bitch instead of just leave it alone and move on ;)

Is that really constructive critisism to you?  To me it's just boring bitching and a comment made by people who seem to need to bitch instead of just leave it alone and move on ;)

411714[/snapback]

It's called freedom of speech and should be exercised at all times.

It's all very well you saying people should leave it alone and move on yet you're not leaving the criticism alone and moving on; your're criticising the criticism.

A strong case of hypocrisy I feel.

Is that really constructive critisism to you?  To me it's just boring bitching and a comment made by people who seem to need to bitch instead of just leave it alone and move on ;)

411714[/snapback]

Yes. I don't really see what's the problem about saying one doesn't like sampled vocals.

i'm a bit split on this topic discussion. personally, i thrive on crticism and feedback, both good and bad.

but i do understand djnemo and elysium's arguments here. when i compose, i make the track the way i want it. i dont purposly make it bad so that you can complain about it :) so if you have something negative to say about a piece of music someone else spent weeks and maybe months producing, consider how you word yourself. have some respect for the artist. dont just yell "this sucks".. either explain yourself what you would have preferred or do not say anything at all. or "this was not for me" is a good one. its respectful.

as far as samples.. who cares? if a drink at a bar is amazing, you might want to know whats in it, but you dont question that in a negative way, do you? you say "aaahhh.. neat!"

my two cents.

cheers fellas,

.x

PS! i'm starting to really like these forums. very informative and interesting compared to many others. thanks guys :)

411714[/snapback]

The way he says it is bitching, because he's exagerating a bit and acting out in the typical Cinos manner. But the message behinds it stays the same: he doesn't like voice samples (but he likes the rest of your track, have you even notice that?). Matter of taste I say...

And about constructive critism: well, there are a lot of threads with bitching about full-on with no single word of constructive critism just because some people here absolutely dislike this style. I never saw you complain about this... ;)

i'm a bit split on this topic discussion. personally, i thrive on crticism and feedback, both good and bad.

but i do understand djnemo and elysium's arguments here. when i compose, i make the track the way i want it. i dont purposly make it bad so that you can complain about it :) so if you have something negative to say about a piece of music someone else spent weeks and maybe months producing, consider how you word yourself. have some respect for the artist. dont just yell "this sucks".. either explain yourself what you would have preferred or do not say anything at all. or "this was not for me" is a good one. its respectful.

as far as samples.. who cares? if a drink at a bar is amazing, you might want to know whats in it, but you dont question that in a negative way, do you? you say "aaahhh.. neat!"

my two cents.

cheers fellas,

.x

PS! i'm starting to really like these forums. very informative and interesting compared to many others. thanks guys :)

411717[/snapback]

Btw. I also agree with the statement above.

Guest Elysium

Ok i will one more time try to clarify why I get pissed of.

I have no problem with constructive critisism. In fact I like when people tell me what they think about my music. Positve or negative. It's all good and I respect that not all people like my music and that taste is different.

BUT if people start to be experts on the way I choose to make my music and tell me that I should do it this way insted of that way (their way) then I reserve the right to tell them to shut it. Simply because it's my music and not their music. If they like my music or not is again a matter of taste but no one have the right to tell me they get "annouyed" because of the way I choose to make my music or because I used a certain sample that did not pass their "expert" expectations. And I do not think it's fair or appropiate that I (or any other artist) have to explain myself to anyone why I make my music a certain way or why I choose to use that sample or that bassline etc... I am free to do whatever I want to with my music without being told by "experts" that I do it the wrong way.

It's so damn easy to tell other people how they should do things accoring to your taste, believes and "expert" knowledge. I refuse to give in to people who seem to know whats "best" for me or my music. If I did I would make disshonest music to please people's opinion. That's simply not my style when it come to my music or the way I choose to live my life.

Hope I made a little sense.. It's hard to be specific and to the point sometimes :)

411714[/snapback]

It would be weird and rude to say "you annoy..."...but not "the track annoy...".

Ok i will one more time try to clarify why I get pissed of.

I have no problem with constructive critisism. In fact I like when people tell me what they think about my music. Positve or negative.  It's all good and I respect that not all people like my music and that taste is different.

BUT if people start to be experts on the way I choose to make my music and tell me that I should do it this way insted of that way (their way) then I reserve the right to tell them to shut it.  Simply because it's my music and not their music.  If they like my music or not is again a matter of taste but no one have the right to tell me they get "annouyed" because of the way I choose to make my music or because I used a certain sample that did not pass their "expert" expectations.  And I do not think it's fair or appropiate that I (or any other artist) have to explain myself to anyone why I make my music a certain way or why I choose to use that sample or that bassline etc... I am free to do whatever I want to with my music without being told by "experts" that I do it the wrong way. 

It's so damn easy to tell other people how they should do things accoring to your taste, believes and "expert" knowledge.  I refuse to give in to people who seem to know whats "best" for me or my music.  If I did I would make disshonest music to please people's opinion.  That's simply not my style when it come to my music or the way I choose to live my life.

Hope I made a little sense.. It's hard to be specific and to the point sometimes :)

411721[/snapback]

kchank! money in the bank. i agree 100%.