Worst albums of the year 2005!

Cinos

Yeah, the negative image of the Top 2005 topic.

Anyway, in my opinion these were the shittiest (and often the most overrated):

Derango - Tumult

Ghreg On Earth - Sigilweaver

Yahel - Around The World

Infected Mushroom - I'm The Supervisor

GMS - EBS

Oh, and the Entheogenic remix comp.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derango - Tumult

406660[/snapback]

:huh:

:blink:

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

no comment...

Yahel - Around The World

i rather agree with this.. haven't heard new GMS so i dont know about this..

oh, and let's add Shpongle - Nothing Lasts as well..

Derango - Tumult

Yahel - Around The World

GMS - EBS

406660[/snapback]

They can be the most overrated ones, but that doesn't make them the shittiest ones... I bet none of us has heard the shittiest stuff :D

oh, and let's add Shpongle - Nothing Lasts  as well..

406661[/snapback]

Okay, so you didn't like it, that I can understand, but to call it one of the worst albums of the year is really rather silly.

Few albums are as technically accomplished as Nothing Lasts and even those unable to appreciate it on a musical level should bear witness to it's incredible engineering. It's an amazing example of aural sculpture.

Okay, so you didn't like it, that I can understand, but to call it one of the worst albums of the year is really rather silly.

Few albums are as technically accomplished as Nothing Lasts and even those unable to appreciate it on a musical level should bear witness to it's incredible engineering. It's an amazing example of aural sculpture.

406670[/snapback]

i disagree.. there are heaps of albums much better technically [and musically IMO] such as most stuff released by Robert Rich or Steve Roach , Vir Unis, Vidna Obmana etc etc...

I called it one of the worst albums of this years based on the fact that i couldnt stand listening to it for more than twice... but maybe i give it another try laters.

Guest Elysium

but to call it one of the worst albums of the year is really rather silly.

It's called taste and is perfect ok to call it the worst album of the year if thats what he think ;)

Cinos for gods sake, stop commenting music of styles that you don't listen to / understand... It's like mentioning Britney Spears in here...

406698[/snapback]

Nick mentions Shpongle but I don't see any flames at him. So stop the hypocrisy.

It's called taste and is perfect ok to call it the worst album of the year if thats what he think ;)

406696[/snapback]

I appreciate taste is taste but it's possible to dislike something yet recognise it's qualities.

I say that you have never been interested in dark psytrance in any way, other than when you feel like bulltalking the popular artists of that genre.

406707[/snapback]

I like dark psytrance as long as it's good.

Guest Elysium

I appreciate taste is taste but it's possible to dislike something yet recognise it's qualities.

406709[/snapback]

sure but if i as an example think a country & western CD suck major ass even though it might be well produced and the musicians know how to make a perfect C-minor scale.... then it still suck ass because I think it's the worst crap i ever listened to :)

I dont have a worst of the year. I got many bad ones on my mind and have a hard time to decide hehe :)

Edited by Elysium

sure but if i as an example think a country & western CD suck major ass even though it might be well produced and the musicians know how to make a perfect C-minor scale....  then it still suck ass because I think it's the worst crap i ever listened to  :)

406717[/snapback]

I get what you're saying but for something to fall into the worst ever category it needs to be awful in every sense - concept, arrangement, instrumentation, production, engineering, musicality...

...but anyway, to each his own.

Guest Elysium

I get what you're saying but for something to fall into the worst ever category it needs to be awful in every sense - concept, arrangement, instrumentation, production, engineering, musicality...

...but anyway, to each his own.

406722[/snapback]

I was pulling your leg a little :P I do agree with you too :)

So.. was this a thread about albums people considered "worst of the year" or what?

It seems to have been misguided because someone didn't agree with someone else's "worst albums." I thought I'd continue in that direction because that's currently where the threads at... and since preference is all subjective anyway.

I agree that Sphongle 3 wasn't magical like the first two. It didn't feel innovative or nearly as special. I would certaintly not call it a classic or a masterpiece. However, I enjoyed the album and consider it one of the better albums this year in comparison to much downtempo releases in general. Many people familiar with the earlier Sphongle work described Sphongle 3 as feeling "more of the same." It didn't help things that so many had such high expectations. We don't usually realize that we often HYPE things in our mind. So some expectations weren't met. I suppose this could be a reason for someone considering it a "worst album of the year," due to the huge disappointment from the individual who expected more and felt more disappointed than some others. I'm not going to argue whether IM's albums was one of 2005's worst or not because it's all how you percieve things.

As an album, IM the Supervisor was disappointing to me because I, and many of you I've seen, obviously expect more from IM based on their earlier work. However it's not as much about "more" as it is about style and direction. I gave that album a C+ or a 7.9 out of 10 because I felt the decent and good songs that do exist on the album, slightly raise it above average, especially when comparing IM the Supervisor to most of 05's psytrance releases. However, if I were to compare IM the Supervisor to IM's earlier work, well you could imagine how low a grade it would get, because IM's earlier work isn't one grade or one level better, it's LEVEL's beyond what they've been producing lately. However, that's from a view point from someone who enjoys their earlier style.

Regarding hype, our expectations create self-hype. I don't have a "WORST" albums of the year list because I would think most people would try to avoid and not focus on the worst albums of the year, hence not buy them. I realize sometimes people gotta get it out of their system and share their feelings toward albums they considered disappointments. More so, I realize people buy albums based on artists they like, and so it's easier to be disappointed when you have other albums by that same artist to compare it to.

Therefore, I think if this thread was called, "Albums that most disappointed you in 2005," people would stay more objective because as soon as someone says, "Okay this album was one of the worst," it's just inviting others to say, "Relative to what?!" My two cents anyway. ;)

I think if the thread was called, "Albums that most disappointed you in 2005," people would stay more objective because as soon as someone says, Okay this album was one of the worst," it's just inviting others to say, "relative to what?" My two cents anyway. ;)

406729[/snapback]

Quite.

My biggest disappointment was Unusual Suspects 2. The tracklist looked so good but only a few tunes actually managed to get my attention.

The second biggest disappintment is an album I praised a lot after the first listen, namely Shpongle's Nothing Lasts. I was blown away the first time I heard it but it just didn't last. I've been trying to like it so many times since then, but I just can't. There's tons of great sounds and twists, but it faded away so fast.

I guess that the actual biggest disappointment in 2005 was Twisted Records. :(

Guest Elysium

I guess that the actual biggest disappointment in 2005 was Twisted Records.  :(

406732[/snapback]

I am not even sure they will continue as label.. I got some inside info this weekend and it does not look too good. But I don't kiss and tell before it's confirmed 100%.

I am not even sure they will continue as label.. I got  some inside info this weekend and it does not look too good.  But I don't kiss and tell before it's confirmed 100%.

406733[/snapback]

I hope that isn't true.

Whilst I don't like all of their releases, I feel they release some of the best trance and probably trust them on name alone more than any other label.

Guest Elysium

I hope that isn't true.

Whilst I don't like all of their releases, I feel they release some of the best trance.

406734[/snapback]

yes it would be a shame for sure... we will see. they have indeed been very inactive for along time when it come to picking up phones and in overall functioning as a label. so there's a lot of speculation going on from the british artists side.

I am not even sure they will continue as label.. I got  some inside info this weekend and it does not look too good.  But I don't kiss and tell before it's confirmed 100%.

406733[/snapback]

Let us all blame file sharing!

Because it can't be visionless label management can it...

This thread is just going to explode.