Goa Gil - Saturday - Worth It?

thebadtrip

heh.. this time around he is kind of right, they are nothing awe inspiring IMO, check it out:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_ar...?artist_id=1463

384967[/snapback]

Are they musically/technically bad? That's my point.

If they are bad musicians, no creativity, no good technique, fine.. I should agree.

I just don't like when people express their feelings about music they don't like negatively... saying for example "Infected Mushroom is mediocre" when they're not.

I just don't like when people expres7 s their feelings about music they don't like negatively... saying for example "Infected Mushroom is mediocre" when they're not.

384990[/snapback]

indeed. IM arent medicore. they are crap.[for the last...2 years. and for the next... 7years]

Are they musically/technically bad? That's my point.

If they are bad musicians, no creativity, no good technique, fine.. I should agree.

I just don't like when people express their feelings about music they don't like negatively... saying for example "Infected Mushroom is mediocre" when they're not.

384990[/snapback]

well you know cinos ;)

point being, they aren't technically musical, the nommos bases a lot of his qualities on the knowledge Arianne has of Djembe african drumming... which to be honest i haven't seen reflect very much, but what the fuck do i know of djembe african drumming...

it's harsh music, 148-50 BMP's and what they do is not bad, but is a bit minimal, and devoid of any real juice unless you like the unrelentless hard pounding...

well you know cinos ;)

point being, they aren't technically musical, the nommos bases a lot of his qualities on the knowledge Arianne has of Djembe african drumming... which to be honest i haven't seen reflect very much, but what the fuck do i know of djembe african drumming...

it's harsh music, 148-50 BMP's and what they do is not bad, but is a bit minimal, and devoid of any real juice unless you like the unrelentless hard pounding...

385016[/snapback]

dude

that is simply not true. a lot of the stuff is not minimal at all. have you heard much new nommos? and the music that Goa Gil plays in general? maybe you should go theck his top 10 or whatever - all the tracks i've heard from the last 2 or 3 dd's are fucking unbelievably trippy.

Thanks for adding so much of your opinion to the thread. You rock!  <_<

384955[/snapback]

:lol: no comment !

goa Gil plays dark psy, i thought he plays psychedelic psy like his spiritual trance, anyway i hate dark psy.

385077[/snapback]

spiritual trance is old my friend and so is goa gil, I think it's normal the guy wants a change ;)

dude

that is simply not true. a lot of the stuff is not minimal at all. have you heard much new nommos? and the music that Goa Gil plays in general? maybe you should go theck his top 10 or whatever - all the tracks i've heard from the last 2 or 3 dd's are fucking unbelievably trippy.

385041[/snapback]

yes i have checked the Nommos i have digitaria... wait... had... digitaria... hehe.. sold it :P and half a dozen songs spread on compilations... when i mean minimal is the arrangement, yes there is all this shit flying buy and there is strong pounding and usually a good groove, but the production level is minimal if you ask me, there's way better stuff out there thats dark and trippy... imo

hope that cleared any misconfussion ;)

yes i have checked the Nommos i have digitaria... wait... had... digitaria... hehe.. sold it :P and half a dozen songs spread on compilations... when i mean minimal is the arrangement, yes there is all this shit flying buy and there is strong pounding and usually a good groove, but the production level is minimal if you ask me, there's way better stuff out there thats dark and trippy... imo

hope that cleared any misconfussion  ;)

385215[/snapback]

I agree, Digitaria sucks... I was never a huge Nommos or Goa Gil fan, but I think lately he's been getting a lot better. His Divine Dozens are off the hook. His own recent stuff is much better produced, imo. and quite highly psychedelic, imo.

i mean, i go through and listen to pretty much EVERY release that comes out, and some Nommos tracks (not all, mind you) are as good as any 'dark' psy out there. I don't think he's on the same level musically as, say, Fractal Cowboys, Zik, Jellyheadz, Derango, or Kindzadza - but compared to the mass of shitty dark psy out there, Nommos stands out for sure.

I agree, Digitaria sucks... I was never a huge Nommos or Goa Gil fan, but I think lately he's been getting a lot better. His Divine Dozens are off the hook. His own recent stuff is much better produced, imo. and quite highly psychedelic, imo.

i mean, i go through and listen to pretty much EVERY release that comes out, and some Nommos tracks (not all, mind you) are as good as any 'dark' psy out there. I don't think he's on the same level musically as, say, Fractal Cowboys, Zik, Jellyheadz, Derango, or Kindzadza - but compared to the mass of shitty dark psy out there, Nommos stands out for sure.

385232[/snapback]

i wasn't too throughly impressed with "Insmonia" in Nowhereland and thus im shallowly basing my staements on that song, which was... ok... at best. if anything it was highly disconcerting... i'm going to check out a bit more of his latest stuff thugh... im interested now... eitherway his top ten is nice, i wanted to post it for my shindig online, maybe next month we'll see.

So: did you go and how was it?

386499[/snapback]

I didn't go.. I chose to play 2 1h sets at this barbecue, a friend's birthday.

It was the first time I played for people OUTSIDE of my bedroom at home and it was a lot of fun. Not many people there, but I played sort of a 1h prog house set and a 1h prog trance set.. something like that.. the set lists are on my Fotolog (mind the portuguese..., but you will understand the track listing hehe)

People Goa Gil was exactly what I heard on some samples online and what you guys mentioned... Fast Beat Dark Psy... which I dislike. The people who went said it was very good, the party spot was incredible.. but there was no food to sell, no decent bathrooms.. and the cops arrived around 9am - party started 7pm the day before - and ended the event..

So I am glad I didn't go and had fun playing for the first time.

;) Back to the cd decks to practice some more, back to the cd shops to listen to some more and get some more music to prepare another few sets ;)

Thanks for all the feed backs here.

Ok, seems you made the right choice. I would really like to see Goa Gill at a party, because he's some sort of a lengend and stuff. But since I also don't like dark psy I wouldn't really go to a party... Anyway, the sets look interesting, keep on prakticing... :)

Ok, seems you made the right choice. I would really like to see Goa Gill at a party, because he's some sort of a lengend and stuff. But since I also don't like dark psy I wouldn't really go to a party... Anyway, the sets look interesting, keep on prakticing... :)

386569[/snapback]

By the way... I am looking for artists that produce stuff like Ticon, Son Kite's latest album (Colours), Atmos - 2nd Brigade, Vibrasphere.. melodic, upbeat music.. I find it hard to find.

I listened to Andromeda, Jaia.. but didn't think they were as 'danceable' as those mentioned right above.. you know.. more FUN.. :)

By the way... I am looking for artists that produce stuff like Ticon, Son Kite's latest album (Colours), Atmos - 2nd Brigade, Vibrasphere.. melodic, upbeat music.. I find it hard to find.

I listened to Andromeda, Jaia.. but didn't think they were as 'danceable' as those mentioned right above.. you know.. more FUN.. :)

386575[/snapback]

Check Antix.

Check Antix.

386582[/snapback]

Forgot to mention them as well. I did listen to some of their stuff, but didn't find Antix quite as "forward-paced" music. Antix sounded a bit too repetitive.

I'll give them another listened...

:) Thanks

386575[/snapback]

Maybe it's not proggressive enough but check aout Mad Contrabender, Mandylion and Matenda.