My theory - listening to psytrance makes people more intelli

Guest Avneesh

The other day I was just listening to some music and thinking about how complex it was..which got me thinking and made links to other areas of knowledge..and eventually i formed a theory..people listening to psytrance develop greater intelligence (in terms of mathematics and maths related subjects at least)..

let me cite a personal example..i am about to enter my last year of school..in the beginning of high school..i saw myself as a primarily humanities (i.e. geography, history) kinda guy along with english. The sciences and maths..although i was pretty decent at them, weren't my forte. When I started listening to psytrance about a couple of years ago i've noticed the gradual development of my ability in mathematics and the sciences and i can say that at the moment i am far stronger in maths and subjects like physics than subjects like history and english, and I can proudly say that my mathematics ability has improved by leaps and bounds. In fact, I may choose mathematics or physics as one of my majors in university.

Now although there are many other variables in this so called 'experiment' or observation in mine...i am certain that psytrance played a big role in the development of my brain and in a sense it oriented it towards mathematics.. I think this for a couple of reasons.

1. Psytrance is a very complex form of music. All those weird sounds in the background, lots and lots of layers, and so on, its very complex. In fact, i think its one of the main reasons why those of the mainstream dont listen to it...its not thats its too complex for them to handle..its just that they listen to music to get away from the world..to get away from the 'complexities of the world', and why would they want to listen to a form of music that itself is complex when they're trying to get away from such complexities. THerefore, because we listen to psytrance everywhere, when we're relaxing, having fun, etc., in short during our leisure time, our brain has grown to like complexities, hence a complex maths problem, a complicated coding idea in C++, or a complex concept in physics/chemistry etc won't be as much of an effort to grasp.

2. Psytrance has patterns. Lots and lots of patterns popping up in places here and there...i at least watch out for these patterns..so in a sense my mind 'is being trained' to watch out for patterns..and in my opinion, mathematics is the study of relationships and patterns (mostly applied to numbers). Because of the psytrance listening, the pattern-handling etc becomes easier.

Of course this whole thing is based on the assumption that intelligence in a certain field (in some areas its called talent) is on the whole acquired, and one is not born with it. Personally, I think that its a combination of the two...people have innate intelligence but hard work and practice needs to bring it out..and perhaps thats what psytrance does to people..it brings the intelligence out!!

what do u guyz think??

i really suck at math...and i pretty much suck at music......but im working on the music part.

a for your thoery...i think there are some valid points in there. i dont nexxesarily think listening to psytrance makes you intelligent...but i do think that it helps you to learn to notice patterns and to focus on detail.

i also think that due to the nature of psytrance..it attracts more intelligent listeners. because of its complexity people who really just cant handle it..wont listen. and they dont..and when they hear psytrance..they think its repetitive and monotonous..they dont see(hear) the soubtle changes.

psytrance is the baroque of the modern world. go listen to mozart and then imagine what it would sound like being played on a virus.... bach even (not boroque but still..). i personaly think psytrance is not recognized by most to be the extreamly develpoed and complex style that it is.

Guest FSOL

F*UCK I hate this when people say things like psytrance is the most intelligent music, I think like 80% psytrance is pure crap, just simple bassline and voices that they don't even make themself. If you want complex music that is intelligent try jazz or classical. That you can call intelligent music. I still like psytrance but it's not intelligent execpt Simon P and Infected

well, i'm not into that psytrance is elitetaire theory. it might be that it helps you to understand maths because psy is really complex and it really has a lot of patterns. but for the rest, i highly doubt it. music is about taste not about intelligence. at least for the listener... i know a lot of unintelligent people who think psy is great and intelligent people who give a @!#$ about psy. i'd rather say that a lot of people who listen to psy are special, not as the normal dudes on the street. like not careing to much about society, beeing more aware whats going on. but i think in every scene are people like that..

Guest psytek

i don't think listening to any music ever make one more intelligent.. but it's true that psytrance (or other kinds of instrumental music ) helps concentration and stimulates your imagination, giving you access to more ideas or aspect of a problem you would'nt have before.. i used it sometimes in my job of software engineer, being considered crazy by people in the firm, and if it doesn't help it's certainly a more entertaining way to work!

by the way jean sebastien bach rox!

Guest bengelibong

your right. but i think the people that don't understand psy-trance are less intelligent.. not that the trance makes you smarter. the trance got to have an effect on your brain because if I don't listen to any trance, just for a day i get very stressed and feel totally empty. My theory is that in the future psy-trance will be recomended from doctors for different kind of psysichal problems, because thatäs the way trance works. normal music can be good sometimes. But psy-trance is whatever you want it to be.

sorry for my (probably) bad english.

And may the force be with you!!!

Guest psytek

for sure it will be recommended by doctors in the futures... i've seen some times ago a tv program about musical-therapy, where persons with psychological problems where playing the drums together... i thought to myself that they should have make them trance together on psy, it would have been more effective (those pplz where in fact very bad drum players where psy is accessible to anyone)..

Guest noisis

Basically I think that someone who listens to psy trance (intelligent psytrance, not everything) is intelligent. Not because he listens to psy but because an intelligent person would appreciate the quality and the advantages of psytrance (like you said: patterns, complexity etc). A non-intelligent person wouldn't like this kind of music, he would want something not so deep, something easier to understand and to decode in his mind.

Of course there are some newschool tracks that are non-sense and stupid, just beat & bass, as there are stupid cheesy oldschool tracks. So intelligent persons have to recognize intelligent music and stupid music.

Psytrance is for intelligent persons, but i think that there are persons which are not listening to psytrance and they are very intelligent, just the psytrance dont express them, like it fit to us.

Also i think that psytrance makes you dream, think, and understand some logic structures, like melodies, rhythm, patterns, complexity, and make you analyze the music and dont see it just like a noise (like parents are thinking). It's not just a music for make you happy or think about social-human problems, but a way of thinking and living. The roots: goa trance; spiritual music and combination of other kinds of music have some spirituality and deep, to make your brain work and create, not exersising (like you study maths). It's a spiritual enjoy, a real spiritual food, some psychedelic food !!!!

Unfortunately lot of people listen to psytrance just for make the intelligent, like ppl in my country listen to psytrance especially to uplifting melodic trance, just beause its groovy and trendy, and i know lot of that ppl that are stupid.

NP: Tranfinite - Funkyspice...

Guest lespagnol

AAh Ah what the @!#$ is this topic? You should write a big these about this but it still so stupid saying that we are more intelligent ! It s a joke ;no?If not I can prove you that this theory is totally false cuz you seem really dump to me .DUMP DUMP AND STUPID...

Guest Elysium Project

People need to get back down to the real world and realize that they look very stupid when they think that they are superior to other people with a different taste!

Guest Mindtwister

It's a interesting thought, but since I started to listen to psytrance my Match grade has gone down....

"Get Twisted..."

//Mindtwister

Guest mmm...

Well...of course the music you listen to affects you somehow. But trying to analyze this more specifically doesn´t seem to amount to much more than empty speculation - as this topic shows, I think. Maybe it´s more fruitful just to get experienced and get inspired by the music and not to try to put it all in theories (although, of course speculation can sometimes just be fun, too).

As for intelligence, it is surely not all innate or inner but more like a relation to our environment and much more of an active thing than a "gift". This is so even according to the latest scientific knowledge on the subject.

As for trance, at least for me it´s always been smt _beyond_ "this world" and its boring things, including the much praised "intelligence" of the Western culture.

Guest ZEN_ic

My theory:

With the intelligent Psytrance and Goa Trance (and ambient) we can go to the other conscience state, more in a forest,etc (out door)

The secret are the sounds, the ambients, etc.. This music is very spiritual and mysterious... this music break with the correct, anything is possible, it is an astral travel, an experience.

The people more traditional don`t like Goa/Psy Trance.They don't believe in the magic, but the magic exist.

I'm all the day earling goa/psy trance and don't study for the exams.... :D

My english is very very poor. :D

I Love this music.

Bom Shankar.

P.L.U.R.

OLD SCHOOL FOREVER.

etc, etc

XDDD

Guest JanUa

it is magical indeed :)

i love this music too :-)

ohm namaha shivaya

...3ô...

make way make way, newerschools coming thru ;)

JanUa

My opinion...

I don't believe this music directly makes anybody more intelligent.

People who LOVE listening to it, however, kind of "space out" to it, which IMO is just thier brain processing large amounts of information.

Processing large amounts of information makes one smarter.

Its kind of the same thing as saying Meditation will make people smarter. No, it won't, but it will HELP PEOPLE MAKE THEMSELVES SMARTER.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

but of course..... that's just MY opinion... I could be wrong :)

its all inside.,..it may have made you smarter, coz you used it to manifest other talents... however its not as simple as just the fact that one listens to psy trance and becomes smarter.... it has to come from inside, the catalyst could be psy trance, yoga, education, medidation, house music, rap, painting, chess, writing etc... but eventually it is up to the individual to make himself smarter...

I wouldn't be surprised if scientists found that this sort of music makes one more intelligent, at least temporarily. Instrumental music generally makes a person concentrate harder on the sounds and patterns in an active way, which is a sort of brain exercise, whereas music without so many patterns and/or with predictable lyrics tends to be listened to more passively. Could also be - and this is a stretch - that dancing at the same time as actively listening would get the blood circulating in the brain more efficiently, creating even faster and more intelligent thinking, but again only temporarily (but there just might be prolonged effects). I certainly don't believe that psytrance is nearly as complicated or intelligent as most "classical" music, for instance, but it could have a similar effect on the brain. :)