My theory - listening to psytrance makes people more intelli

Guest bugbread

Flipster probably said it as a joke, but I saw Organic Noise live, shortly after Mitsumoto's live set, and I would easily say that listening to those two acts dropped the IQ of the crowd by 10 points or so. Minimal, but WITHOUT the little variations and subtle builds. Just "Don don don squelch, Don don don don, Don don don squeak, Don don don don" ad nauseum. While the really GREAT psy out there might have SOME effect (I tend to doubt it, but I wouldn't rule it out offhand), the MAJORITY of the stuff out there is crap, and I certainly can't see how it would help someone process information better.

Guest Mushi

I can only say that I've changed in a good way since I met the world of psytrance

(not only the music) : ))

I'm a whole different person now ; )

Before I got into the psyworld, I was always looking for the real me,but didn't know where to start looking ..Now I finally found it I won't let go!

Guest Dr-Zeuss

OK, its different for everyone.

and not just the music, some people get into the scene and flip out on drugs! smarter? NO.

Experienced more states of conciousness? YES

Some people decide to make the own tunes.

Smarter? NO

More creative? YES

some people use music for a tool (astral travelling, relaxation, party starter)

Smarter? NO

Found a use? YES

thats it!

More examples obiously, and some people do lead towards more intellenge through what they do, if psy-trance put them on that track then cool. But other things can too, and its not the same for all.

I dont like the people who insualt other peoples therories (and spelling) but i most say that its not intellegent to generalize, wich leads back to the original post.

Dr-Zeuss

Guest kitsune

I find it interesting that J.S. Bach has been mentioned several times on this thread. I've been listening to Bach since childhood, and find there are vague similarities between psytrance and the fugal form. Comments suggesting that psytrance comes even remotely close to approximating the complexity of Bach are ridiculous however.

Perhaps some of you have listened to Jacque Loussier's Play Bach series (he's done a Debussy one recently that's pretty cool too).. it's a jazz trio playing some of Bachs better known inventions, gavottes, minutes and preludes. There will be plenty of purists that disagree with me, but I think the transition to this new form works well.

Perhaps there is room for a revival of the art of fugue in our new electronic medium. I know I'd dig it.

bom

Guest Avneesh

to make theories u need to generalise..generalising is one of the natures of science (look at all the scientific theories..if u didn't generalise u couldn't make a theory)..which is one of the problems of knowlege with scientific knowledge..i've done a @!#$ load of this in TOK (Theory of Knowlege, an IB Diploma class)

Guest Dr-Zeuss

No, i was tryin NOT to genralize, thats why the VERY FIRST LINE of my first post says:

"OK, its different for everyone."