Dj gear

I just wanted to pop in my two cents here. my set up is 2 technics turntables and a couple numark axis 9's with a numark dxm 06. I love this mixer. great response great sound. the effects are damn good in my opinion. the axis 9's are also very good cd decks to play with and not to ridiculously priced. 12 very good effects on them as well. I'm suprised I didn't see them mentioned at all. I highly reccommend this setup to anyone.

I used to have a Behringer VMX-300 for around two years and I have to say that it is very good considering the price. However, I think that it is pretty much the only Behringer DJ-mixer that isn't completely crap, three friends of mine bought the DJX-700 (Pioneer DJM-600 clone) and they've all either returned it to the store or sold it within 4 months - I was really amazed to hear that it was crap since it was released after VMX-300 :(.

Nowadays I have a Tascam X-9 which I like a lot, I could hear the difference between it and VMX-300 right away, especially the high-end is a lot clearer. It's also packed with all kinds of features and you really need to read the manual if you want to master this mixer (a lot of different things hidden in the menus). The basic interface is intuitive, it's pretty much the same as Pioneer DJM-500/600. Tascam X-9 is no longer available at stores - it wasn't apparently that much of a success since they dropped the price at all retail outlets with about 50% last spring (the RRP was around 1100 eur originally, I got mine for 570 eur including S&H from Germany to Finland :) ).

Considering Pioneer DJM-500/600, I'd tell you to never buy that. The sound quality is just awful, it is a known fact that the sound gets distorted below the 0-level and the sound in general is very plastic. You might not hear this if you're playing at home, but when you heard it being used with a big sound system you can hear it right away - and so will your ears, 95% of all DJ's don't know a shit about sound quality and when the mixer doesn't compensate their mistakes people usually get to leave parties with ringing ears etc. You can ask any professional sound technician what their opinion on DJM-500/600 is if you don't believe me ;)

Pioneer DJM-500/600 is a good choice I'd say if you're about to play only at home, but considering the price you can get a lot better mixers for the same money. I read a review of DJM-707 and it had the same defects in sound quality, I don't know about the DJM-1000 though - it atleast OUGHT TO have a decent sound quality since it costs around 2400 euros.

To sum it up, I'd look at mixers from Rodec, Ecler, Allen&Heath if I was about to buy a mixer now B)

Cheers,

Kalle! / Tranceform

And the CD players, can you recommend some?

393039[/snapback]

I have Pioneer CDJ-800's myself and I'm pretty happy with them. If Pioneer CDJ-200 would've been in the market when I bought CD-players I probably would've gone for them since I appreciate the compact design (I'm not really looking for the vinyl feeling like some people are). I appreciate the loop function so CDJ-100 was not an option.

I've played on a dozen different players and as a general advice I'd tell to stay away from Gemini, Reloop etc. Based on my experience they are a pain to use (the buttons don't react quickly enough) and they even have shitty DA-converters which results in bad sound quality. And they are the kind of players that you can't bring to a party since every decent DJ will refuse to play with them.

If you buy anything from Denon or Pioneer, I'd say that you can't go totally wrong :)

If you're looking for turntables, the most-tested and best-known option is naturally Technics SL-1200MK2. I've heard that the new MK5 model has an inaccurate pitch control that flutters (!!). The Vestax PDX-2000 and from there upwards are really great! I believe that other manufacturers make good stuff nowadays too (Numark TTX-1 etc.), however I don't have any personal experience with them.

If I was to buy a new set of turntables now (I bought mine in 1997 when SL-1200mk2 was the only reasonable option on the market) I'd skip the Technics SL-1200mk2 and go for Vestax PDX-2000. I just love the accuracy they have, the pitch is a lot more linear than Technics' pitch and the platter feels better.

Cheers,

Kalle! / Tranceform

hmm.. not many good reviews on the behringer vmx700 as i see, since thats the one i'm planning on buying (and the reason is exactly because it's a pioneer djm-600 clone).. not sure about the cd players yet.. though i think that i'm gonna buy pioneer cdj 100's or citronic cds6's..

i'm only buying this equipment to practise in my bedroom, and i think it's quite nice for that reason.. so what do you guys think?

hmm.. not many good reviews on the behringer vmx700 as i see, since thats the one i'm planning on buying (and the reason is exactly because it's a pioneer djm-600 clone).. not sure about the cd players yet.. though i think that i'm gonna buy pioneer cdj 100's or citronic cds6's..

i'm only buying this equipment to practise in my bedroom, and i think it's quite nice for that reason.. so what do you guys think?

394339[/snapback]

I'd recommend you not to buy a shitty mixer, DJX-700 isn't nice even for bedroom-DJ'ing. I'd also investigate the possibility of buying used equipment, occasionally there are really good stuff being sold for quite low prices..

Cheers,

Kalle! / Tranceform

stay away from the Behringer 700, it's a piece of shit. Get a different Behringer model if you must. I had the Behringer 500DX and it's been working fine for years and years. Though the sound quality isn't as good as higher-end mixers. go a step up and get a Vestax mixer, they are solid and have good sound quality. Digital Stantons and Numarks aren't bad either.

• 1 month later...

Nowadays I have a Tascam X-9 which I like a lot, I could hear the difference between it and VMX-300 right away, especially the high-end is a lot clearer. It's also packed with all kinds of features and you really need to read the manual if you want to master this mixer (a lot of different things hidden in the menus). The basic interface is intuitive, it's pretty much the same as Pioneer DJM-500/600. Tascam X-9 is no longer available at stores - it wasn't apparently that much of a success since they dropped the price at all retail outlets with about 50% last spring (the RRP was around 1100 eur originally, I got mine for 570 eur including S&H from Germany to Finland  :)

393037[/snapback]

how do you like the X-9? would you recommend it over a Rane or Allen & Heath mixer? My main concerns are sound quality (in general and also EQ response) and durability. Ebay prices seem pretty good on it right now. :)