Ambient but not psychedelic ?

Guest Rain

I only know psychedelic ambient... well if I listen to ambient it's psychedelic one you see...

tell me not ambient that is not classified as psychedelic otherwise everybody starts arguing 'what is psychedelic ' ;)

don't discuss it wuz.... ok I'll try to turn off my braincells.... KILLLLARRGHHH HAVEEEJJJJJ!!!

wait a sec.... WOT ambient izz ¨¨¨classifajd¨¨ az psychedelic??? names names names. thenn aj shovvya killargh albums!!!

of course there is non-psychedelic ambient music, always the same names :

Biosphere - Substrata (THE major ambient album)

Thom Brennan - Any album, especially Vibrant water

Tom Heasley

Vir Unis

Steve Roach

Jeff Pearce

Robert Rich

and many more...

Errr...for historical purposes, how not about the chap and album which coined the term 'ambient' itself? Brian Eno - "Ambient # 1 Music For Airports" from 1978. Get the recently remastered CD, it does sound much better.

I do not listen to much ambient psy trance. Most of it is deeply unintelligent and boring...

For an ambient experience I prefer 'home listening' techno and downbeat electronica...there is plenty of quality about. And it is so much more interesting.

If you want mostly beatless stuff try this album for a start - Gas - 'Pop'. Gas is the more ambient project of Wolfgang Voigt. With more beats and some difference are Dub Tractor's More or Less Mono and Dictaphone's m.=addiction, both on Berlin's City Centre Offices label. CCO is a label worth keeping an eye on, but not all of their stuff is good. Some of it is rather vacant music.

Arovane's Atol Scrap is 6 years old now (and his most recent stuff is poo-poo), but it is a wonderful experience. On the Toytronic label (also very inconsistent one), Abfahrt Hinwil's 'Links Berge Rechts Seen' is a very accessible and relaxing CD.

I like dub and there is pleny of great techno dub to chill out to. Above all is the Basic Channel/Chain Reaction stuff. Yeah, sometimes the relentless 4/4 dub music on that German label often had a menacing undertone, but what stuff! For something more recent in the same vien, how about Denmark's Mikkel Metal's Close Selections? You want slower? Rhythm & Sound's stuff is nice for the synapses.

An oldie (but goldie) is Global Communication's 76:14. GC are Tom Middleton and Mark Pritchard.

Just yesterday I was hearing Yagya's gentle Rhythm of Snow (Icelandic artist on Germany's great Force Inc label), was hearing snowflake #6 and thinking to myself - why can't ambient psy trance be more creative and less cheesy and predictable. Probably many of them are really not that talented. Plus we all know how bad (if any) quality control is in some psy trance labels.

This is something to get you started...

Pedro

Hmmm...

What about New Age?

I classify New Age as ambient music - and it's not psychedelic.

Same with medieval ambient, nordic atmosphere music and dark ambient - however dark ambient can already be psychedelic, so I'm rather not talking about the "dark ambient" that people know on here, but rather about dark depressive music ... also spheric dark ambient ... but well, that's already on the border and a question of definition...

I think these would be classified as dark/industrial/abstract ambient.

Alio Die

Bass Communion - Bass Communion 2 (1999)

Cipher

Ekkehard Ehlers & Joseph Suchy & Franz Hautzinger - Soundchambers (2004)

Fennesz - Venice (2004)

Gracious Pond - Wizards Of Pond (1994)

Micro Cosmic & Daevid Allen - Sacred Geometry (2000)

Monolake - Cinemascope (2001)

Noisegate - Suspended Animation Ambient Vol. 1 (2000)

Ousia - Face The Robot (2002)

Tetsu Inoue

Tuu

I think these would be classified as dark/industrial/abstract ambient.

Alio Die

Bass Communion - Bass Communion 2 (1999)

Cipher

Ekkehard Ehlers & Joseph Suchy & Franz Hautzinger - Soundchambers (2004)

Fennesz - Venice (2004)

Gracious Pond - Wizards Of Pond (1994)

Micro Cosmic & Daevid Allen - Sacred Geometry (2000)

Monolake - Cinemascope (2001)

Noisegate - Suspended Animation Ambient Vol. 1 (2000)

Ousia - Face The Robot (2002)

Tetsu Inoue

Tuu

318738[/snapback]

hey a nice list u made there matey! :)

haven't heard all of them so here's a little task for me too it seems ;)

I have a better idea:

Listen to Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (1975) and Klaus Schulze - Mirage (1977) first.

There are so many people into all kinds of electronic/ambient/chillout/expirimental music, but few seem to have heard the greatest classics of them all. That's how I see it anyway.

Next time another ambient topic comes, this will be my standard reply. B)

I have heard those Bahamut. I just don't think they are the best abstract/dark ambient bands. they should have all credits though for bein sucha early bands developing this music.

It's not what I'd call abstract or dark ambient, but the music is definately very atmospheric and ambient-like and it also has strong melodies and emotions.

Today these artists make mostly rubbish, but to me those albums are some of the best electronic music ever. I enjoyed them immensely and I still enjoy listening now and then. I truly experienced some of my best music moments with these albums. So it's just my personal recommendation. :)

And it sounds different than today's music, no software, no samples, just analog synths and equipment and I love that sound.

Guest Astro Cortex

In fact, I haven't come across any ambient yet that is not psychedelic in one way or another. And that does not include new age, which is utter cheeze IMHO and has nothing to do with ambient at all. Both genres are rather quiet and relaxing music but that's all. Ambient is the stuff for trippin, no matter if it's "classified as psychedelic ambient" or not.

There is a genre of music called and recognised as ambient psy trance. The borders of this definition are, of course, not tightly demarcated. But clearly there is plenty of music that can be classified as ambient and is not psychedelic. In fact, most ambient music is not psychedelic, in the same way as most electronic is not either.

Which does not prevent some music that is not labelled as psychedelic sometimes proving itself a more interesting 'out of this world' listening experience than something purportedly 'psychedelic'.

One can be blown away and trip to music that is not psychedelic.

As far as New Age music is concerned, the less that is said about it, the better.

Pedro