The end of Spirit Zone?

Templar

I cant believe that a "major" label would have to close down because of a distro going bankrupt.... unless of course, the distro stood for all of the releases, and antaro didnt do jack... in that case, i think we are better off anyways :)

324274[/snapback]

Well that same closing "almost" shut down Twisted Records too, if you read some of Simon P's interviews from after that went down. The really isn't very much money to be made, even by the "majors" these days. Many (most?) distribution companies only pay 4 times a year and in general they are notorious for being slow or behind on their payments. Many places also often won't pay unless the sales are over a certain amount and they "carry over" the current amount due until the sales pass that point.

Most labels now a days are literally using the sales of their last release to fund the next one so of all the things that can go wrong with a label, the only thing that I can think of that will kill a label faster than release bad music (and even that is debatable now-a-days) is their distributor going under. Even in Japan today, which is probably the healthiest sales market for psy-trance (hence why Japan gets most release a month before everyone else) the average sales of a comp on a decent label is about 1000 copies and for an artist album no more than 1500, with very few exceptions (don't forget these copies are often liscensed to Japanese labels too, so the home label isn't getting all the money either). There really isn't all that much money to be made in trance these days and most people doing it are doing it out of a desire to release the music more than make $$$ off of it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest djnemo

Well that same closing "almost" shut down Twisted Records too, if you read some of Simon P's interviews from after that went down. The really isn't very much money to be made, even by the "majors" these days. Many (most?) distribution companies only pay 4 times a year and in general they are notorious for being slow or behind on their payments. Many places also often won't pay unless the sales are over a certain amount and they "carry over" the current amount due until the sales pass that point.

Most labels now a days are literally using the sales of their last release to fund the next one so of all the things that can go wrong with a label, the only thing that I can think of that will kill a label faster than release bad music (and even that is debatable now-a-days) is their distributor going under. Even in Japan today, which is probably the healthiest sales market for psy-trance (hence why Japan gets most release a month before everyone else) the average sales of a comp on a decent label is about 1000 copies and for an artist album no more than 1500, with very few exceptions (don't forget these copies are often liscensed to Japanese labels too, so the home label isn't getting all the money either). There really isn't all that much money to be made in trance these days and most people doing it are doing it out of a desire to release the music more than make $$$ off of it.

324453[/snapback]

I know a couple of label owners, and they are not doing bad at all. There are, as I said, a lot of labels that are "founded" on the distros money, and therefor as the distro goes down, so does the label.

I know that many distros are bad with paying money, as I had to go to Prime many times, to pick up money for some labels in the past. The only way of getting the frikkin check was to personally go there and get it.

I know also for a fact that a label can go under if the distro goes down, because they simply didnt pay you. Trust me, i have made that experience with my former distro....

My question was: Why would Spirit Zone go under when its a pretty popular label, and the sales were not bad (and I know this for a fact.)...?

No... Twisted is alive and kicking...  :)

If you read Jikkenteki's post carefully, he said that the collapse of the distributor nearly killed Twisted... Just nearly!

/DP

325364[/snapback]

Ahh ok :)

I can't believe it ! Even this one too ? Sheeeet !

Same was with Transient, it also ended last year...<_<

We are doomed on commerical trance !

Suntrip and the rest, SAVE US !

308543[/snapback]

the SunTrippers came to stay! :D we´re not going anywhere

Come on now man - how often do we have to go over this?

Stop disagreeing with everybody just for the sake of disagreeing... Spirit Zone was one of the most important labels on the scene housing influental acts like Space Tribe, Electric Universe, Shiva Chandra, Necton, S.U.N. Project, Spirallianz, K.U.R.O., Ooze, Gabriel Le Mar, etc, etc... Add to that the important Global Psychedelic Trance and Global Psychedelic Chill-Out series...

Some of frekking biggest names in psy-trance and you just write it off as "nothing special"? I agree that Blue Room was a bigger loss, but these labels are coming from the same place... The Infinity Project and Etnica even released some of their best work on Spirit Zone back in the hey-day...

Yeah - the quality level dropped in recent years, but that doesn't change the history of this once great label... And it definitely deserves some respect...

/DP

310028[/snapback]

Uh... yeah. And there it is --> the truth.

I would also agree that Blue Room was a bigger loss.

Really, the loss in both cases was the loss of availability of older great music, because both label had withered to obscurity by the time they went belly up.

Psy continues nonetheless.

When will SHAFFEL be closed for god sake ?

:mellow:

326054[/snapback]

I dont think they will ever close (and yeah, they are Chemical Crew now). As long as their are under 15 year old party goers, glowsticks, vicks vapour rub, ecstacy and [kick][bass][bass][bass][kick], Chemical Crew will thrive.

I dont think they will ever close (and yeah, they are Chemical Crew now). As long as their are under 15 year old party goers, glowsticks, vicks vapour rub, ecstacy and [kick][bass][bass][bass][kick], Chemical Crew will thrive.

326256[/snapback]

Yeah, I forgot 'how much I am interested' in such label about Chemical Stew...BLAAAAAAH !

Hey OD, your new stylised avatar and sig are GREAT ! ;)