Metalogic - Magnetic Influence

freak51

This disc was actually due last September, but then a bunch of new gear came out and the artist wanted to rework the whole thing. Next, it was due late Feb., then late April and it finally came out early June.

So he must have realized, that everyone who was interested, would know that every sound was on purpose here: with enough time and brand new gear, this record would expose his vision to the world, and could not be dismissed as a mulligan.

The good news is, it's TREMENDOUS!

There's not much point in doing a track-by-track, because once a brooding/dark-ambient intro runs through, each track melts nicely into the next. It starts of breezy and lightweight - but the percussion is timed perfectly, like it's trying to talk to me in its morse-code language if only I could understand it. There's depth in here, but it's underneath, waiting for you if you want to dig for it.

As it progresses, the disc gets heavier and more outdoor-friendly, rising up to take you away. By track 8 or 9, it can get quite intense, and I have "how did I get here? This is like a thunderous snorting beast's deep dream". It really is quite a production. Then the storm starts to break a bit. Track 10 appears on Chronika 2; it's still gorgeous here. Track 11 slows it down and incorporates some vague European-style melodies.

The bonus tracks don't start until about 50 seconds of dead air. They don't disappoint: skilled psy-tech inside. It's worth jumping on the first edition to get at them.

This disc is almost as good as the new Midi Miliz "Non Standards", and not as dark. 9/10. Bag it.

... OK, it's a little less dark than the Midi Miliz disc.

But oh my God is it ever HEAVY. If you let it grab you, it can take more and more of your attention.

A lot of the psychedelia comes from crafting sounds somewhere along the blurry edge of percussion and tones, so they work either way. Then he cleverly folds in actual tones and actual percussion. Result: sonic saturation. Yet it's not an adolescent effort in throwing everything at the amp at once, because of the subtlety in the levels.

Some of this is challenging to listen to. It ain't fluffy!

• 4 months later...

Artist: Metalogic

Album: Magnetic Influence

Label: Boshke Beats

Web: www.boshkebeats.com

Year: 2005

Format: CD

Posted Image

Songs:

01. Intro

02. Ultraviolet Shock [137 BPM]

03. Turn On [138]

04. Magnetic Influence [136]

05. Time Catcher [136]

06. Secretskipper [138]

07. Broadband [138]

08. Photon Flux [138]

09. Expander [136]

10. Irrational Impulse [138]

11. Mastermind [120]

12. Decadance [138]

13. K.O. [135]

What's this about

“My body cannot hold

The secrets that inside;

My soul is bursting out

To reach beyond the light!

The light, that burns within.

Impossible to breath!

The only thing I want-

Unreachable relief!” – Yulia Bluez

Metalogic is Fred Hatsav from Canada and his debut album has been out for a while now. Sadly it fell under my radar and it wasn't until recently, I had the opportunity to feel the Magnetic Influence in full force. Having stirred clear from most tech-trance albums so far the Boskhe beats tick has started stinging in my ears and my stereo lately, making this is one of their most promising offerings so far this year.

The album is filled with grace in the minimal touches focusing on the subtle changes. The output is fat, inspired and reasonably sundry, with a twilight jubilee of funkiness. You either love it or hate it, but if its tech trance smeared with a metallic undertone you are after, this stuff goes a long way.

Per-song break-down

01. Intro

There is not much to chew here from a minute long intro except a filter sweep and fine entrée of good things to come. My favorite track! Haha -just joking…

02. Ultraviolet Shock *

Ultra Violet opens easy breezy with tweaked percussive arrays slipping off the drums as the mysterious pads simmer like the smoke of cigarette. Vocodic-robotic blips appear more as complementary effects, than voices in itself…building on the intricate web of groove. The pace of the track moves on its own well, but you can feel Fred is holding on the energy, using “Violet Shock” as tension builder.

3. Turn On (with Sergey Smaglo) **

Tech-trance with a spice of lounge a-la Thievery Corporation (on the days of Mirror Conspiracy), minus the duple meter, counting congas, snare's and the wobbly, staticky effects. Possible candidate for the night's highlight in some lounge were people are just too cool dance, so they bob their heads for a bit and continue sipping their cocktails. It feels like track taken out of a Saint Germaine Des Press Café compilation. And finding this kind of stuff in tech/trance album is nothing short of revelatory.

4. Magnetic Influence (with Michael Lawrence) **

We swiftly leave the lounge club, entering the full-bodied nigh-time grooves with marching drums the size of a mini cooper. The pads dabbing once again on dusky atmospheres, accompanied by a synth line slipping from some dark corner, with incredibly detuned angles. Serious groove time sweltering with ingenuity and an impressive sample roster, demonstrating minimal can be quite complex when done right.

5. Time Catcher (with Michael Lawrence)

This one sounds like a departure from the previous song, there really isn't much difference except the drums feel a little muffled and you might find a small assortment of differing metallics … and on that note I think I liked the previous one better.

6. Secretskipper *

Skippy comes filled with housy overtones and a caustic disarray of beats. The presto pulsations hooked with a laser-shot sample, drown the voices in reverbs barely hearable. It's not a bad piece, but it does not catch my attention as much as other tracks in here, and the final mastering might have something to do with.

7. Broadband **

It doesn't take long for the kicks to start raising the dust, with a deep in your face quality that's hard to pass unnoticed. The rhythm eventually progresses to industrial surfaces scraping, looped in the background almost like recurrent bass line, orbiting and swirling around in such a complementary hypnotism; is hard to imagine the track without it. The snares climax unrestrained like a drummer on one too many lines, accompanying the pads in between hints of blues and somber eeriness. The great thing about this track has to be funky splashes Fred seems to have cultivated throughout the album, not loosing any of the rough edges around the production.

8. Photon Flux (with Tao Nahn) *

The photon flux is a groove monster comparable only to Godzilla… in the Japanese versions. Shake-your-ass double dare of drummalism with synthetic & organic measures in perfect harmony. There's a complex beat, hints of ambient and stop counting… for what is worth it works.

9. Expander *

Expander is a no-fuzz, no glory piece extending through sea of uneventfulness was it or for the bleeps timidly bubbling like a stale beer. As usual what seems to ooze out of the speakers is a strong rhythm, but this time around a little something is lacking in the minimalism… maybe some sort of melody. Is not necessarily a skipper and it might work well on the floor, but is nothing special.

10. Irrational Impulse (With Tao Nahn & Boris Michailov lyrics Julia Blues)

This chapter has a break beat feel and warm recurrent bass that does not seem to end. For the first time it becomes apparent the inspiring quote I took the trouble of writing up front is actually sung with a vocodic distortion. Don't mind it too much, since the words are barely understandable. I was little surprised to find it is actually a girl singing… anyway…

11. Mastermind **

A wispy analog bass resonates on top of a double compound meter, bringing back strange flashbacks a-la “George of the Jungle” theme song. If you had the misfortune to catch the movie, kindly insert a fork in your skull and pray to god the neurons you killed contained those memories. If you can still see/hear go watch the cartoon, is hilarious… coming back to the track: a cow bell with a heavy delay and violins… yes, violins with faintly Arabic spice peaking and coming back down with so much gut-wrenching emotion, there is no point in comparing this stuff with what you hear in the kebab shack. Class all the way and a good doze of originality.

12. Decadence *

First of all, my copy starts this track after the first minute of silence for some reason (o.O) … so, this a bonus (if you got the first print) of minimadelic industrial, in a sized doze of techno with an intro of claps and a synthadelic delays, bubbling and cursing at time in ripples. Nice…

13. K.O (With Michael Lawrence)

Just to be sure the previous 12 tracks didn't do the job properly, they placed this one last. The beat is nearly syncopated and so fuckin nitty, gritty, you wouldn't think about touching it with a 12 foot pole. There's a rather simplistic line in there with minimal interaction on those synths, but as usual the harsh, original rhythms stand out.

* Favourites

All and all

I'll be damned, I had not been this happy with tech trance since Moonflower decided to release Electroscopic. Nearly every other song ringed a bell. Just to get it clear, this is music for the legs and not a head-trip, in the peaks it is mindless stomping at its best and slowed down it shows a good hybrid of different influences. The house/lounge experiments work and overall I'm quite happy I got this one. I am not completely satisfied with the mastering all the way though, I am not sure if there it is just too much scrapping metal at one point or it's just me. Don't really comment on the artwork that much unless it stands out personally, and receiving a carton box was a little perplexing at first. Disregarding the fact it is a stylish recycled-cardboard looking box, the artwork is great! Very original like half of tunes in this cd…

for the samples and all > http://sonic-energy.net

• 2 months later...

very dark industrial feel to this album, not much for the headiness that makes a lot of tech stuff so yummy. not my favorite boshke release.